1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford gave the Rockets an "A-" draft grade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Jun 26, 2015.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Nobody really cares what this guy says, but figured some people might be interested in reading it since it's "ESPN Insider"

Didn't see it posted elsewhere, sorry if it's a duplicate.

1 person likes this.
  2. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I thought Brewer was a free agent, not under contract for one more year. Do I know more about basketball than Chad Ford?

3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

U know it's bad when Chad Ford praises us.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

In hindsight I guess it was smart to plan ahead. Smith, Jones are probably not long term mainstays here so pick up some guys who might be. Attractive names in a big trade also if needed. Still glaring playmaking need that has to be addressed.

5. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Yes, Brewer waived his option for next year to make the trade from Wolves to Houston, as such, he's a free agent.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well, he at least he is indirectly admitting that his Tyus Jones pick to Houston was wrong.:)

7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Could you post the rest of the Article as well? I'm guessing most people (like me) don't have Insider access... >.<

8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not that I value Ford's analysis, but how did we not get an A+?

He states that we got his 16&17 rated players at picks 18&32, but only gives an A-? Weird.

9. arubato

arubato Member

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Every year, I issue draft grades just hours after the draft. In my day job, I'm a college professor, so this exercise feels like giving students final grades after the first day of class.

There's so much we just don't know about teams, minutes and fit. In other words, these grades are subjective and unfair. In truth, the time to grade this draft is at least two years from now.

I do it to offer an instant reaction on the future of every team in the league. What I write now won't be the definitive word on this draft, but it's a way to start the conversation.

Here's our take on how every team in the league did on Thursday:

Atlanta Hawks
    Round 1: N/A
    Round 2: Marcus Eriksson (50), Dimitrios Agravanis (59)
    Grade: C-

The Hawks traded their first-round pick (No. 15) to the Wizards in a three-way deal that netted them Tim Hardaway Jr. from the Knicks and two future second-round picks from the Wizards. Atlanta was clearly worried that it might not re-sign free agent DeMarre Carroll and felt like the wings left in the draft couldn't provide the instant impact Hardaway could.

But with players like Kelly Oubre, Sam Dekker and Bobby Portis left on the board, the Hawks sacrificed a little more help now for potentially a lot of help later. Hardaway struggled to hit shots as a sophomore and was a poor defender. I'm not sure the immediate help will be much at all. As for Eriksson and Agravanis, they're both draft-and-stash prospects who are unlikely to come to the U.S. Eriksson is the best prospect of the two. He's a very good shooter coming off ACL surgery.

Boston Celtics
    Round 1: Terry Rozier (16), R.J. Hunter (28)
    Round 2: Jordan Mickey (33), Marcus Thornton (45)
    Grade: B

The Celtics took care of three big needs in the draft, and I think they filled them well. Shooting was one of the biggest needs and landing Hunter at No. 28 was, in my opinion, a steal. Our analytics guru Kevin Pelton had Hunter ranked as a top-10 prospect and while I'm not sure I'd go that far, he's a potentially elite shooter and a very good playmaker for his size. Rozier gives the team a credible backup point guard to Marcus Smart who does many of the same things well that Smart does (he's tough, physical, a tenacious defender, and a good athlete) and has some of his weaknesses (he's not a great shooter and his feel for the point is still emerging).

Rozier had dominated workouts against higher-ranked prospects for a month and would've gone somewhere three or four spots later, so I don't think the Celtics reached. Mickey gives them some of the rim protection they desperately need and Thornton is an interesting experiment -- a super athletic, undersized guard who has a terrific shot. I'm not sure the Celtics got a star here (which is what they really need,) but taking care of needs in the back half of the first round is a good start.

Brooklyn Nets
    Round 1: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (23, via Portland), Chris McCullough (29)
    Round 2: N/A
    Grade: A-

Here it is, Billy King. I'm giving you an A-. The cost of Hollis-Jefferson was Mason Plumlee. But I think the team knew he'd be tough to re-sign and in Hollis-Jefferson, the Nets got the most underrated player in the draft. Hollis-Jefferson can defend three to four positions, is a terrific athlete, a solid playmaker and a great teammate. Stacey Augmon might be his floor, but someone like Andre Iguodala could be his ceiling.

McCullough won't play next season as he recovers from a torn ACL, but had he been healthy (or stayed in school another year), I think he would've been a potential lottery pick. He's long, athletic, can stretch the floor and protect the rim. He's raw, and it's going to take a while, but was worth the gamble at No. 29. The Nets also "bought" Juan Vaulet, Charlotte's pick at No. 39, is an athletic swingman from Argentina who has some skills. However, his lack of a jump shot could keep him from panning out. He'll likely remain in Argentina for a while as a draft-and-stash player.

Charlotte Hornets
    Round 1: Frank Kaminsky (9)
    Round 2: Juan Vaulet (39)
    Grade: C+

Kaminsky was sort of a love or hate prospect for NBA scouts. I sat somewhere in the middle. If the Hornets drafted Kaminsky thinking he would be a nice replacement for Josh McRoberts -- a playmaking, stretch 4 -- then I think they'll be happy. They really missed what McRoberts brought to the table and while Kaminsky isn't the athlete McRoberts was, he's a better shooter. If they're expecting more than that, I think they'll be disappointed. They get knocked down a grade because they passed on a superior prospect in Justise Winslow. Even though Winslow wasn't as great of a fit as Kaminsky (he duplicates a lot of what Michael Kidd-Gilchrist brings to the table), Winslow is such a talent, I think you take him and figure it out later. The Hornets got future second-rounders from the Nets in 2018 and 2019 in return for Vaulet.

Chicago Bulls
    Round 1: Bobby Portis (22)

Portis isn't a sexy pick, but he's the type of do-it-all hard working big man who should be able to find a long career in Chicago. You can't expect Portis to make All-Star teams. But he plays his butt off, can shoot and score around the basket and is a solid rebounder and rim protector who can play both the 4 and 5. With Taj Gibson and Nikola Mirotic in front of him on the depth chart, he's going to struggle to find minutes, but Portis will find a way to earn time on the court.

Cleveland Cavaliers
    Round 2: Cedi Osman (31, via Minnesota), Rakeem Christmas (36, via Minnesota), Sir'Dominic Pointer (53)
    Grade: B-

The Cavs are trying to maximize their financial flexibility this summer with both LeBron James and Kevin Love hitting free agency. They traded their first-round pick (Tyus Jones) to the Wolves for the draft rights to Osman and Christmas. Osman was my favorite international player after Porzingis and Hezonja. He's a playmaking wing with great court vision and one of the best motors I've ever seen in a player. He doesn't take a second off.

Christmas was a late bloomer who had a dominant senior season at Syracuse. I doubt he's ever much of an offensive force, but I think he can provide rebounding and rim protection off the bench at both the four and the five. Pointer is a potentially elite defender (he averaged 2.4 BPG and 1.9 SPG this season), but lacks any semblance of a jump shot.

Dallas Mavericks
    Round 1: Justin Anderson (21)
    Round 2: Satnam Singh Bhamara (52)

Head coach Rick Carlisle was looking for more shooting, preferably from a player who could contribute now. They may have found their man in Anderson. He shot 45 percent from three as a junior at UVA, has a terrific NBA-ready body, is a hard worker and a tough defender. But is he a great shooter? During his first two years at UVA he shot about 30 percent from downtown. Was this year just an aberration? If it wasn't, the Mavs got tremendous value at 21.

I'm not going to really comment on Bharmara as a basketball player. Most of the scouts I spoke with don't think he's one. He's huge and he can shoot, but to take a page out of ESPN colleague Fran Fraschilla's book, Bharmara is two years away from being two years away from being two years away. This was a publicity stunt as Mark Cuban admitted on draft night: "There's a billion new Mavs fans out there right now." Let's see if Bharmara ever plays a meaningful NBA minute.

Rob Tringali for ESPN

Denver Nuggets
    Round 1: Emmanuel Mudiay (7)
    Round 2: Nikola Radicevic (57)
    Grade: A

The Nuggets were hunting for weeks for a second first-round pick in hopes of landing a point guard. They couldn't believe their good fortune when possibly the best point guard in the draft landed in their laps. Mudiay is a tremendous get for the Nuggets at No. 7. He has elite size for his position, he's a great athlete, a good defender and excels at getting to and finishing at the rim. He's also a gifted passer and competitor. Had he not skipped SMU to go to China this year, I believe he would've been a top-3 pick. Radicevic is another big point guard. He's talented, but he's not a great athlete. Look for him to stay in Europe for a while.

Detroit Pistons
    Round 1: Stanley Johnson (8)
    Round 2: Darrun Hilliard (38)
    Grade: C

The Pistons had a major hole to fill at the small forward spot and were determined to draft for need over talent. They wanted a wing who could shoot, defend and, most importantly, play right now. I just believe they drafted the wrong guy. As I noted in my Winners and Losers column, I think the Pistons drafted a guy who looks the part over someone who is the part. Johnson has a NBA body and a great reputation as a winner. But in almost every way, Winslow is the superior player. He's a better athlete, has a better motor, plays with more grit and even shoots it better when he gets his feet set. Johnson is bigger and a better shooter off the bounce. But I think in a few years this draft will look a bit like the Rockets selecting Marcus Morris ahead of Kawhi Leonard. As for Hilliard, he's a crafty scorer and a good shooter, but he's not a great athlete. He, too, was a bit of a reach at No. 38 with players like Joseph Young and Olivier Hanlan on the board.

Golden State Warriors
    Round 1: Kevon Looney (30)

Looney has the talent of a top-10 pick. He's versatile, has crazy long arms, almost averaged a double-double as a freshman and is skilled in ways that he couldn't show during his lone season at UCLA. He can shoot it, see the floor and bears a passing resemblance to a young Lamar Odom. Concerns that he'll need hip surgery devastated his stock. He's worth the gamble here. He might have to sit out a season, but once he gets fully healthy and adds some strength, he has the talent to be one of the 10 best players in this draft. The rich just got a little richer.

Houston Rockets
    Round 1: Sam Dekker (18)
    Round 2: Montrezl Harrell (32)

The Rockets got great value in the draft nabbing my 16th and 17th rated prospects with the No. 18 and No. 32 picks. We all thought they'd draft a point guard, but with Sergio Llull possibly coming over, the Rockets must have felt they had that covered. Dekker has a chance to be special if he can get more consistency on that jump shot. He's got great size for his position, is a special athlete and has tremendous toughness. When he plays with confidence (something that waxed and waned at Wisconsin), he looks like a lottery pick. The Rockets are pretty crowded at his position (Trevor Ariza has three years left on his deal, and both Corey Brewer and Kosta Papanikolaou are under contract for another year) but the Rockets just took the best available talent. They did so again at No. 32. I'm very surprised Harrell fell after stellar workouts. Teams are concerned he's undersized, but his crazy length and explosive athletic ability make up for it. Again, the Rockets are bit crowded in their front court, but both players could help them now if they can find some playing time.

Indiana Pacers
    Round 1: Myles Turner (11)
    Round 2: Joseph Young (43)

Turner is loaded with potential. He's got elite size for his position. He's an excellent defender and he's got an offensive skill, too -- he can really shoot the ball. The Pacers are just going to have to be patient. He's not ready to help now and might not be for a couple of years. But if he develops, he is a top-5 talent. Young is ready now. He's one of the best scorers in the draft. He's quick, a lethal shooter and has a knack for finding the basket. He should be able to give the Pacers instant offense off the bench right away.

Los Angeles Clippers
    Round 2: Branden Dawson (56, via New Orleans)

Dawson looks the part of a NBA player. He has a terrific body, is an elite athlete, and when he's engaged, he can impact the floor on both ends. However, he was frustratingly inconsistent during his four seasons at Michigan State. He has a lot of potential defensively and impressed teams on that end in workouts. If he can knock down some open shots and play hard all the time, he can have a serviceable NBA career.

Los Angeles Lakers
    Round 1: D'Angelo Russell (2), Larry Nance, Jr. (27)
    Round 2: Anthony Brown (34)
    Grade: B+

On one hand, I think the Lakers hit a home run on draft night. I never loved the Jahlil Okafor fit there and it was refreshing to see Lakers brass embrace new school and take a point guard over a big. The Lakers have had only one All-Star point guard (Nick Van Exel) since Magic Johnson. Russell has the talent to make many All-Star games. He's a brilliant passer, a very good shooter and has an elite feel for the game. He should be a lure to free agents like LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Love. The Lakers fan base really needed star potential and I think he can deliver. If he was a better athlete, he'd be a can't-miss prospect.

With that said, I still believe that Emmanuel Mudiay has the slight edge as a prospect and that they left the second-best player in the draft, Kristaps Porzingis, on the board at No. 2. One Lakers source admitted they thought Porzinigs had the most upside of anyone in the draft, but they just didn't have the stones to take him. The rest of their draft was interesting. Brown made a lot of sense at No. 34. He's a potentially elite shooter with great size for his position. Nance was more interesting -- a versatile forward with good athleticism and high basketball IQ- - because he might end up duplicating a lot of what Julius Randle does. With that said, the combination of Russell and Randle gives Lakers fans a bright young foundation to build upon in the future.

Memphis Grizzlies
    Round 1: Jarell Martin (25)

Martin is a very good athlete, has a NBA body (without, unfortunately, NBA length) and he plays hard. He's just a tweener. His game is stuck between a NBA 3 and 4. He's not quite the shooter or shot creator he needs to be to thrive at the 3, and lacks ideal height and length to play the 4. However, there's enough raw talent there to justify this pick for Memphis. I'm just not sure there are minutes for him yet.

Rob Tringali for ESPN

Miami Heat
    Round 1: Justise Winslow (10)
    Round 2: Josh Richardson (40)
    Grade: A+

Winslow landing at No. 10 reminds me a lot of when Kawhi Leonard fell to the Spurs at No. 15 in 2011. Some things are meant to be for both player and team. Winslow is a perfect fit, as a player and a person, into the culture Pat Riley has built in Miami. He'll not only thrive there as a player, he'll have a chance to win now surrounded by Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Goran Dragic. While Winslow isn't the type of player that carries a team offensively, he's the glue guy who makes everyone better, does all the little things, and plays with toughness. He has a high basketball IQ and is relentless at working on his game and getting better. I think he could be a Leonard-type player someday. Richardson is a versatile, athletic guard who can play the 1 and the 2. He was another draft sleeper for me. The Heat just seriously upgraded their wings.

Milwaukee Bucks
    Round 1: Rashad Vaughn (17)

Vaughn is better than people think and fits a major need the Bucks have -- 3-point shooting off the bench. Coming out of high school, he was ranked ahead of Devin Booker and based on their respective freshman seasons, I think you can argue that Vaughn was almost as good of a shooter (taking many more contested shots) and a much more versatile offensive player. He needs to mature, but the Bucks can afford to be patient with him. The hope is that when O.J. Mayo (who many scouts compare Vaughn to by the way) hits free agency next summer, he'll be ready to step in and play big minutes.

Minnesota Timberwolves
    Round 1: Karl-Anthony Towns (1), Tyus Jones (24, via Cleveland)

It's easy to overlook the No. 1 team sometimes in these things. We forget that they can screw it up. The rankings of the No. 1 pick over the past 25 years is a testament to that. The Wolves didn't screw it up. They got the best player in the draft, a perfect fit for their system and a player who, if he reaches his ceiling, could be a superstar. Pair him with Andrew Wiggins and the Wolves have two potential studs to build around. I also like their trade of the 31st and 36th picks for Jones. I don't love Jones as a NBA starter, but he's the perfect backup point guard. He's steady, unselfish, smart and rarely turns the ball over. He'll be great backing up Ricky Rubio.

New Orleans Pelicans

The Pelicans traded their first-round pick to the Rockets last summer for Omer Asik and their second-round pick to the Clippers this year. Given where they were drafting, getting Asik for essentially Sam Dekker was good value.

Knicks fans might not have been happy with the pick of Porzingis, but he's a high-reward talent. Rob Tringali for ESPN

New York Knicks
    Round 1: Kristaps Porzingis (4), Jerian Grant (19, via Washington)
    Round 2: Guillermo Hernangomez (35, via Philadelphia)

I like the Porzingis pick for the Knicks. They took the best player left on the board despite their reservations. That takes courage and I believe Porzingis has all the tools to make them look very, very smart. But I'll only love the pick if they commit to developing him the same way the Bucks did with Giannis Antetokounmpo and the Jazz did with Dante Exum last year. They weren't ready. Neither is Porzingis. But to develop into a star, he needs minutes. Lots of them. He needs to play through his mistakes. He needs a coach that gives him confidence. And I don't know that the Knicks are that committed. They have to be. If they leave him on the bench, they'll stunt his development and damage his potential. With the win-now approach of the Knicks, I fear he could be put in the same tough position of other high profile busts. So while it's a great get for the Knicks, I'm not sure it was the best situation for him.

I also like the Grant pick a lot. He was my third favorite point guard in the draft. I'm not sure he's a perfect fit in the triangle, but he's smart, a good athlete, defends, is versatile and he's a competitor. I felt like they got great value when they swapped Tim Hardaway Jr. for him. Hernangomez is a Zaza Pachulia-type big man. He's skilled, he's big and he plays below the rim. I expect him to keep developing in Spain.

Oklahoma City Thunder
    Round 1: Cameron Payne (14)
    Round 2: Dakari Johnson (48)

I love Payne and I love the fit. The Thunder needed a very good backup point guard behind Russell Westbrook. I think Payne fits the bill. While I liked Grant slightly better, Payne probably has more upside and I feel like, in time, will turn into a terrific lead guard. Johnson was also great value at No. 48. He'll never be a star, but for 10 to 15 minutes a night he'll grab rebounds, take up space in the paint and give you six fouls. That's value at No. 48.

Orlando Magic
    Round 1: Mario Hezonja (5)
    Round 2: Tyler Harvey (51)

There's a tinge of disappointment that Porzingis didn't fall here. He was a better fit in Orlando than New York. For him and the Magic, it was a bit of a tough blow that the Knicks took him. But the consolation prize should have everyone in Orlando excited. The Magic have been loading up on elite defenders the last two drafts. Victor Oladipo, Elfrid Payton and Aaron Gordon are all great athletes who can lock you down. What they've needed, badly, was some offense. Boy did they get it. Hezonja is a fearless scorer with deep range on his jumper. Harvey is one of the other best shooters in the draft and, surprisingly, one of the most efficient. Neither of these guys are afraid to let it fly and both can play multiple positions. In a league that is emphasizing shooting, they scored big this year.

Philadelphia 76ers
    Round 1: Jahlil Okafor (3)
    Round 2: Richaun Holmes (37), Arturas Gudaitis (47), J.P. Tokoto (58), Luka Mitrovic (60)

Okafor was very good value at No. 3. For much of the season he was the consensus No. 1 pick in the draft and for the second year in a row, a highly valued center who shouldn't be on the board at No. 3 was. However, a couple of things bother me. One, I think that both Porzingis and Mudiay are better prospects than Okafor and better fits. Not by a large margin, but better nonetheless. Even more troubling: for the third straight year the team drafted a center. At some point, the rest of this roster has to start filling out. I do believe that Okafor and Nerlens Noel are a good fit together. Okafor is a dominant low post player, but a below average defender. Noel is an elite defender and a below average post player. They balance each other out. When Joel Embiid gets back (if he gets healthy), there will be a log jam and the Sixers will use one of the three in a trade.

Holmes and Tokoto have enough talent to make the team. Holmes as a shot blocker, Tokoto as a point forward and lockdown defender. But neither really addresses a need. Gudaitis and Mitrovic are draft-and-stash guys. Even with Okafor, Sixers fans are looking at another miserable year and another shot at the lottery. For the third straight summer, the refrain will be the same. Maybe next June, the process will prove to be trustworthy.

Phoenix Suns
    Round 1: Devin Booker (13)
    Round 2: Andrew Harrison (44)

The Suns needed shooting and Booker has a claim on being the best shooter in the draft. He's an obvious fit. I'm not sold he'll be more than just a shooter. But with shooting coming at a premium these days, he's solid value at No. 13. Harrison deserves a look and I thought he was a good fit at No. 44. I doubt Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe are playing together next year. Maybe, but I think it's more likely Bledsoe gets traded if the Suns can re-sign Knight. When that happens, Harrison will have a chance to prove the NBA wrong. He feels his game is better suited to the pros. I'm glad the Suns gave him a shot. If he puts in the work and quits trying to live off his high school laurels, he has a chance to be a good pro.

Portland Trail Blazers
    Round 2: Pat Connaughton (41, via Brooklyn)

The Blazers got a lottery pick when they traded Nic Batum to the Hornets for last year's No. 9 pick, Noah Vonleh. Then they traded the No. 23 pick (Hollis-Jefferson) for Mason Plumlee. While I love Hollis-Jefferson, I understand the deal. With Robin Lopez and Aldridge both likely leaving, they needed help up front. As for Connaughton, I'm a fan. He's athletic, he can shoot it and he's very tough. He isn't a NBA starter, but he could be a valuable role player off the bench.

Rob Tringali for ESPN

Sacramento Kings
    Round 1: Willie Cauley-Stein (6)

Cauley-Stein has major star potential. He has the ability to be a future Defensive Player of the Year winner. He's the most athletic 7-footer I've ever seen and literally has the ability to guard all five positions on the floor. The Kings badly needed rim protection next to DeMarcus Cousins and Cousins (who is friends with WCS) badly needed reassurance from the franchise that they were still looking out for him. Cauley-Stein also has major bust potential.

He's a below-average offensive player, has a super quirky personality, isn't much of a gym rat, and has an ankle problem that will likely require surgery at some point. He also would've likely been available in the late lottery. For a team that desperately needs an infusion of maturity, leadership and grit, I'm not sure Cauley-Stein was a great choice. It's going to be fascinating to se how this all plays out in Sacramento. It will either be brilliant or a disaster. For the sake of long-suffering Kings fans, I hope he's brilliant.

San Antonio Spurs
    Round 1: Nikola Milutinov (26)
    Round 2: Cady Lalanne (55)
    Grade: C

The Spurs are trying to clear the books in an attempt to lure Aldridge to the Spurs in free agency while re-signing Tim Duncan and Kawhi Leonard. Every dollar counts. So the Spurs took Milutinov with the intent of leaving him overseas for at least a year -- maybe longer -- so that he wouldn't count against the cap. Milutinov is a prospect. He's big, skilled and moves pretty well. But the No. 26 pick? Probably not. Lalanne is a potential rim protector. Given how many teams covet that skill, he's a solid choice at No. 55.

Toronto Raptors
    Round 1: Delon Wright (20)
    Round 2: Norman Powell (46, via Milwaukee)

The Raptors traded Greivis Vasquez to the Bucks during the draft, opening up space to take a point guard like Wright. Wright is big, sees the floor well and is an improving shooter. While I don't think he's ever a NBA starter, he's a very good backup point guard and comes much cheaper than Vasquez. Powell is an elite athlete and a lockdown defender. General manager Masai Ujiri loves tough guys like Powell. He's undersized and still an inconsistent shooter, but he's another good fit in Toronto.

Utah Jazz
    Round 1: Trey Lyles (12)
    Round 2: Olivier Hanlan (42), Daniel Diez (54)

General manager Dennis Lindsey said Lyles had "Jazz DNA" in him. I couldn't agree more. There's very little that's sexy about Lyles' game. But he's got good size, has a very high basketball IQ, is skilled in the post and has an emerging perimeter game. If he can take his shooting out to the NBA 3-point line (and right now that's a big if), he'll be a very good complement to Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert. I also really liked Hanlan. He has good size for a point guard, is a solid shooter and can score in a variety of ways. He should be an excellent backup for Exum and Alec Burks. As for Diez, he's another draft-and-stash guy. He's tough and an excellent shooter, he just lacks ideal NBA athleticism.

Washington Wizards
    Round 1: Kelly Oubre (15, via Atlanta)
    Round 2: Aaron White (49)

The Wizards swung for the fences on this one, giving up the No. 19 pick and two future seconds for Oubre. I think Oubre has as much upside as any wing in the draft. He's got great size, is a good athlete, has potential to be an elite defender and a good shooter. His basketball IQ is very low right now, but he's been putting in the work since the end of the season and teams are already seeing improvement in workouts. If he gets more consistency with his shot, and keeps working hard, he's going to be a stud. But Wizards fans will have to be patient. White is a mobile big man who runs the floor well and showed an emerging 3-point jumper this season. If he develops into a stretch 4 for the Wizards, they got great value at No. 49.

1 person likes this.
  11. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Perhaps Chad Ford places just as little confidence in the player evaluations of Chad Ford as everyone else does.

Thanks for posting this though DarkHorse -- Chad Ford or not, as an NBA junkie I enjoy reading this type of stuff.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What he said about NOP:

Really? Seems to me Asik was a disappointment and was not worth the first round pick. What say you others?

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm guessing because we didn't get players at positions of need.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm with you. Chad Ford is talking out of his ass.

It really is kind of sad to see how poorly Asik played for the Pels and how much his stock has dropped since his breakout season with us.

Also, what is the guarantee that he re-signs? The Pels may have given up that pick for a disappointing rental.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is such a cliched response.

It's the textbook example of confirmation bias.

Team wins lots of games.

Team drafts "name" player who pre-draft pundits thought was going to go higher

Team is genius and just picked up a steal, despite drafting a guy who the rest of the league passed on, RICH GET RICHER, see USA Today:

Also from that same article, lol:

And don't worry, the rich got richer last year too:

#16 SamFisher, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I will give the Rockets draft a A only based on below evaluation :

Dekker in, Papa out
    Harrell in, Dorsey out

not considering any other factors such as what other players available and what will be the final Rockets lineup for next season.

Well, yeah, that's clear an improvement.

18. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

I was upset that we passed on Grant, but reflecting on the picks I think Morey did the right thing. In reality we could not expect a rookie to be the secondary playmaker on a contending team. Instead we drafted hardnosed very versatile players. Dekker could potentially fill the Parsons role we have been missing, with more defense. Potentially

19. arubato

arubato Member

Somebody posted this before that you just have to replace go.com with co.uk and you can read insider news.

20. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

He'll go back and change the grades after the end of the season, pending performace of the players. So this is essentially a to be continued.