1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buck Turgidson

Hands down, there's about ten other guys as well: Trout, Cabrera, Felix, Scherzer, Goldschmidt, Correa, Sale, Harper, Bryant, etc....

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> announce that manager Ryne Sandberg has resigned.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/614516053805170688">June 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

@Joey_Sorensen: Breaking: MLB HR, RBI leader Giancarlo Stanton expected to miss 4-6 weeks with broken bone in left hand - Tim Kurk… http://t.co/owzyF12SwN

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Interesting changes to the Home Run Derby, an event that we all know sorely needed an overhaul.

http://deadspin.com/this-years-home-run-derby-sounds-pretty-good-actually-1714539450

In short, it's an eight-player bracket format, with the rounds now being timed rather than based on "outs." Plus, there are time bonuses available if home runs during the round travel past a certain distance barrier.

My favorite change, however, is that players are allowed just one 45-second time out per round. In the past, it got a little ridiculous with guys taking Gatorade breaks every three swings.

Perhaps this will make the Home Run Derby a little more watchable, considering they seem to have remedied the two biggest issues with the event, which, in my opinion were players taking too many pitches and the constant breaks in the action.

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

who do y'all like in the HR derby?

6. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I like it so far!

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

New format working out a little "too" well.

Hopefully, its here to stay... hell, I'll even be fine with another "timeout" for the batters (a shorter one), as it definitely can add to the suspense when time is running out and you need just one more swing (sort of adds a basketball feel to the HR derby).

And the batter batting 2nd definitely has the advantage (despite more of the "pressure")... as they can typically pace themselves better knowing what they have to beat.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Best format. I don't like baseball and only watch the home run derby and this got me hooked.

Watching the comebacks are awesome.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Love that format. I'm a HUGE baseball fan but haven't enjoyed the derby for over a decade. Tonight was fun! Although Joc is on my fantasy keeper league, Frazier has a new fan. Any Sinatra fan is a friend of mine. It's like that bruhs.

Btw- last pic of our entire draft I chose Joc. Pretty dope.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I didn't watch, but there were no terrible performances like in past years, which probably helped. I may watch a re-run to see how I feel. I expect the clock instead of players taking unlimited pitches to have been the biggest improvement.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The streaks they went on were exciting. 6 or 7 in a row to come back after the clock looked like they were done. Will watch next year again.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Clock helps some... as you now have them swinging at almost every pitch without fear of an "out"... but its sort of hollow without the bracket format.

The clock + the one-on-one effect was what made it work.

13. sew

sew Member

Buzzer-beaters + walk-offs? Huge success.

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Best HR Derby in years! I had Joc winning it, but I'm happy for Frazier. He definitely put on a show.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Guess I should go ahead and drop him from my fantasy team now.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Let’s blow the whole thing up...new baseball!

Make each half inning a determined amount of time. Pitchers have 10-12 seconds to make a pitch or there's a penalty with time added back to the offense. A walk adds time back to the offense so that pitchers don't run out the clock. As long as a batter comes up with a second on the clock, then the batter gets a complete untimed at bat (a walk continues the inning). Balls in play pause the clock, so strikeouts would hurt the most (Astros might suck at this game). Time runs out, your half of the inning is done.

17. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Crazy how all AL teams are still in the hunt for the playoffs.

18. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Some ridiculous Pitching matchups today. Best one is Grienke vs Scherezer ( two of the best in the game).

19. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

That is great for MLB to have all these teams involved.

20. Buck Turgidson

Zach Greinke now has a 43 2/3 inning scoreless streak.

I hope everyone realizes just how amazing that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.