1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looks like I'm permanently moving to Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Jun 12, 2003.

1. drapg

drapg Member

I know this topic has been started by others, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

I finally got a salaried position in Houston, so I can move out of my parents house (which has been hell for the past 2 months b/c of the smothering of parental love... though I sure as hell appreciate it)

anyways my new office is in the galleria area and i want to find some relatively cheap apartments in close proximity to Memorial park (so i can run everyday) and the galleria (so i don't have to go through the 1+ hour rush hour traffic I do every morning and evening right now)

any ideas on areas to go apartment hunting this weekend?

(i heard richmond and fountainview is a good place to start).

open to suggestions peeps.

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

rent.com

Be prepared to pay a hefty price for something inside the loop that's not crime infested.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Congrats man! I know you let Behad get to you, so that's why you didn't post a thread about getting the job! :p

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Congrats!!!

5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I live right near Memorial park, the whole west end area around here is really growing and changing. As for something somewhat cheap, there is a complex right at Memorial Drive and Shepherd called Bayou Oaks or something along those lines that I know is pretty affordable. My advice, look around in the area just west of Downtown, there are lots of different complexes off of Memorial, Allen Parkway and W. Dallas.

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Congrats man!!

I recommend Pin Oak Estates right off Newcastle and 59 (610 and 59). Really close to everything you mentioned, and I was paying about $650 for a 1/1. They are about 3 years old....

Ask to speak with Courtney and tell her you know Drew who recommended the place.

She'll give you a good deal. ;)

7. Buck Turgidson

Drapg - email me through the board, I can get you on the Houston Assoc. of Realtors listings to search for stuff, and might be able to get you a refund on some of your deposit.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

You in the reality business?

9. Buck Turgidson

Sort of. I work with a couple of brokers, I do the financial side.

Don't rat me out to HAR, please. ;)

10. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

When I first moved to Houston I lived in a large apartment complex at the Northeast corner of Memorial and Shephard behind the high school. I don't know what it is called now. It is easy distance to Memorial Park, plus there is a decent trail right outside your door that goes around Buffalo Bayou to Sabine Street Bridge (about a 5 mile loop, so you can run it twice ;) ). Best *hills* in Houston short of running in a parking garage. 5 minute commute to downtown, reverse commute to Galleria and other points west. Prime location for a runner.

11. drapg

drapg Member

thanks for the info guys.

i'll be sure to e-mail you B.T.

and of course I told my parents the news and the first thing out of their mouth was "Are you sure? maybe you should stay here a few more months to settle in at the job. you shouldn't rush into anything. make a budget and do a lot of research to figure out where you can afford to live."

screw that, I'm outtie. the sooner the better. Definteley before July 1!

again thanks for the input.

12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's the exact complex I was talking about. I live right down the street and use the pool there all the time. Another good thing about the area is that there is a nice covered b-ball court a 5 min. walk away in Spott's park.

13. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Maybe you can get the same realtor as Van Gundy!

I look forward to hanging out and congrats...

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Congrats on the job drapg!!!!

As for apartments, you will definitely want to look at the real estate classifieds to see ads from individuals who own condos and are looking to rent them out.

By the way...I had no idea you were back in H-town. I'd be great to kick back at a sports bar and watch the Rox next season. :)

15. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I'd like to do the same thing next spring (I come back to Houston after I graduate from UT this fall)

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Not gonna stay in Austin?

17. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

well, my lease will end after december or january, then I will just go back home.

18. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

He did post about his new job.

20. dc sports

dc sports Member

There are a lot of apartments west of the loop on Westheimer and Richmond. You might consider looking in this area as well. There are a lot more options, and much more reasonably priced than the area around Memorial Park.

Another option would be just to the South. There are a number of apartments along Braeswood (and around Meyerland) -- and one of the longest and best running biking trails goes along Braes Bayou.