1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets To Decline Options On Delfino, Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Morlock O, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Not a surprise at all but I think that this is an indication that we are really really close at getting our 2nd all star player...

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Not sure how trading picks for vets on other teams really helps us over signing vets to the minimum straight up and not giving up picks. We can't just unload picks and take on salary when we're already over the cap (in the relevant scenario).

Also, we wouldn't have our biannual or MLE (only Room MLE) if we were to sign Dwight...would have had to have already renounced them.

3. MONON

MONON Member

It depends if the vet is under contract or not. If he's under contract, we will use a draft pick to sweeten the deal for him. If not, we just sign him outright.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Dwight sure as hell better be coming after all of this. Garcia being declined is a no-brainer given what he was scheduled to make. But Delfino and Brooks on top of that takes away most of our bench from the postseason roster.

5. basketballholic

Hmmmm, was hoping they'd flip Brooks to Cleveland, Portland, or LA.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

RIP Del3no...

:(

7. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Still a possibility he can be back once FA dwindles down but its unsure due to the nature of his injury. I heard its the same one Yao had but Im not sure of that...

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i thought we had beverly locked up under team options for a few years.....this article says for only 2 more seasons

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Difference being Yao is 7ft6 300lbs +s with a history of chronic foot problems while Delfino is a sorta skinny argentinian lovegod

10. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

That's correct. Two more season. The point of the Morey contracts was to ensure that he could keep them for at least 3 season if he wanted to, so that he gains bird rights to avoid poison-pills or to be able to go over cap to retain them.

Asik, Lin both have 3 yr contracts to gain bird rights.

Parsons has a 4 yr contract.

Scott Machado's contract was also with options to hold him for 2 more seasons after the last, in order to gain the full 3yr bird rights. Greg Smith was signed to such a contract.

So Bev is probably just like Machado, team option or unguaranteed years that allow you to hold him for the full 3 yrs. One year has already passed. That means 2 more seasons. Same thing with James Anderson and Ohlbrecht.

Parsons, Lin, Asik, Bev, Greg Smith, Anderson/Ohlbrecht (if we keep them) will all be free agents at the same time, with Morey holding full 3yr bird rights in order to avoid a poison pill or to be able to go over the cap to keep them.

So yes, there's only 2 more season of Bev, Asik, Lin, Parsons, Greg Smith, Ohlbrecht, James Anderson, etc. Morey didn't need more season. He only wanted to hold them for 3yrs if he wanted to, in order to gain full bird rights. Once he has full bird rights, he's got the leverage to keep them if he wants. There's on reason

It's the typical Morey contract, first yr guaranteed or semi-guaranteed, 2nd and 3rd either team option or unguaranteed. Cut him after the first yr if it doesn't work. Keep him for 3yrs for full bird rights if you want.

Machado, Beverly, Anderson, Ohlbrecht, etc., all get the same Morey-style boilerplate contracts.

There's no reason for Morey to give Bev a contract for more years, since he didn't know if it would work out or if he would have to cut him like Machado. One year down, 2 more to go on the current contract.

The blue are the Team Options, the grey are the unguaranteed:
    http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/rockets.jsp

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

NOOOOOO!!!!! I never expected this.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Expected, and this info actually already leaked a few days ago. It'll be interesting to see how we replace those guys, particularly Delfino. I guess his role might have to be filled internally.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Delfino will be missed, but I'm sure Morey has something up his sleeve. I can see him signing Korver.

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Just curious...do you think this was going to happen no matter what Or do you think it is a strong indication we have howard?

For some reason...I think that howard has given his word to harden and parsons. Parsons, already said he felt good about getting howard on national tv. He did have dinner with howard, and he was in a commerical. He said he talks to him every day. He was just oozing with confidence in that interview with jim rome. Said "I talked to howard every day" Do you feel you have a good shot at howard "I do" with a smirk.

for some reason I feel like the rockets already know we are getting howard. But I guess we will see.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's certainly possible Howard has told Harden and/or Parsons privately that he intends to sign here. It's not like that violates and NBA rules and bottom line is he knows the Lakers' and Rockets' respective situations regarding their 2013-14 rosters. Nothing's gonna magically change come July 1. Obviously we're looking at have to cut quite a few key bench guys in order to clear space for Howard, but the core group of Harden, Parsons, Lin, and Asik will be here.

17. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

omg those #'s turn me on. I miss my big fella. :(

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Interesting that Feigan reported this unless its essentially being used as communication to free agents that YES they will have max money to spend so dont worry about us picking up the options of Delfino, Brooks, etc.

The reason being, the history of Morey with these type of contracts on draft night trades. We have seen in the past with the contracts of Dalembert & Brad Miller that Morey will use these contracts to move around in the draft.

For a team like say The Cavaliers who own the 31st & the 33rd pick, they could like a player that would still be around when the Rockets pick at 34, and agree to trade those 2 second round picks for Delfino, & the 34th pick.

Since the Cavaliers might not be in the mix to get a Dwight Howard type of player in free agency, picking up a solid veteran player on a 1 year deal makes great sense. The same could be said about another team wanting brooks.

So why would the Rockets want it to be a for sure thing that these players will be waived on June 30th? It sort of depletes the market for these players on a draft night trade because that team can pick them up off of waivers on June 30th without giving up assets.

Who knows though. Maybe getting Delfino on a one year deal guaranteed is better than what they think he would get in free agency, and worth giving up a 2nd rounder to ensure. Who knows.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Those options would've been declined regardless.

20. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

No, my point was, the vet signings would be after we got Dwight (hypothetically), after which we would be at the cap. How in the world would we be able to get a vet under contract by sending zero cash out? Even if a min vet player COULD be traded for air and allows a team over the cap to acquire him (similar to signing a vet to the min), would there even be vets that fit into that category? aren't those mins generally 1 yr contracts, so that they haven't even been signed yet?