1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what if we get lin and asik? what happens with howard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drawkwa22, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

sorry to create a new thread if this is answered in another one. feel free to close if so. can someone tell me if we could still get dwight if we happen to land both lin and asik??

2. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Financially, we can still get Howard.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Yes. But we couldn't get Lin and Asik after trading for Howard.

4. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Rockets have multiple trade offer(s) to Orlando of we get both Lin and asik

5. moreyball

moreyball Member

I guess we'd be taking back less bad contracts in Duwight trade

6. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Yeah we can get him. It shows that Daryl Morey is intelligent in creating financial cap outlook (getting more picks, traded Budinger, Dalembert, Lowry, amnestying Scola, etc) so we can still get Howard even if Lin and Asik surprisingly dont match.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If getting Lin and Asik jeopardized getting Howard, Morey would have never offered them contracts.

There is still plenty of room to take back bad contracts.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Thinking the same thing. We give them an extra young guy, say Terence Jones, and they keep an extra guy like Duhon. For the first time, it seems Morey's goal of achieving flexibility will truly create results.

9. VBG

VBG Member

I don't understand paying Asik so much money to backup Dwight though,

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Won't change getting Howard, will change our options at adding to him next offseason.

11. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

we ARe getting both

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Well Dwight has his back injury. Asik is a nice insurance. Also in case Dwight leaves next offseason.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Is that the same source who said Mike Brown would be the Rockets coach?

I'm only giving you a hard time. ; )

Nice to see you back around DCD.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm just wondering, is it possible to WAIT until midseason to trade for DH and then trade Asik then? There are only two markets for DH right now, LA 3 way and us. The problem is, the assets Cleveland and LA have aren't that attractive, and while we can smoke them with an offer, IMHO why jump the gun so quickly? Now that Linsanity is about to hit Houston why not see what Asik, Lin and the young guys can do first? I like all of this year's rookies, guys like Lamb, DMo, TJones, Machado and even White all look like keepers, even if White has been extremely bad. Why trade away another potential star for DH who might end up leaving anyway?

So if I was DM this is probably what I'd do:

*I'd call Orlando GM and tell him DH is still the best deal they can get for DH. Why not wait a season and see if he changes his mind?
    *Wait until mid-season and see how the young bucks do. If we're looking like crap THEN trade for DH. At least if we wait till then we'll likely be the only suitor for DH, and maybe we can trade Asik to Orlando as a Dwight replacement (+other assets). If we're tearing up the league then we keep everyone the on team and enjoy our own assets.
    *The only risk I can see to this plan is if DM can't convince Orlando GM and Dwight ends up on the Lakers and we end up sucking. But that's not really horrible, worst case is we tank and get our own lottery pick back LOL.

15. Toast

Toast Member

Three-headed monster.

We can still get Dwight, but I dunno if there would be room for another max contract IF both Asik & Lin were signed.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Screw Howard. Just get Lin and Asik.

17. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

If neither Lins, or Asiks contracts are not matched by their current teams, it's going to be even more difficult to trade for Howard than it currently is. Yes, we could still afford Howard. Finding a way to fit the contracts we would have to take back is something different altogether.

So, if they both end up on the Rockets I'd like to see them pursue someone else. I'm one of the guys who thinks a Josh Smith trade could be great.

Hawks send J. Smith 13.2 mil and Stevenson 2.3mil(3 years)
    Rockets send K. Martin 12.4 mil, C. Parsons 0.9mil, and T. Douglas 2.0mil. Throw in the Toronto pick, our pick, and White/Jones.

The Hawks would still have the salary coming off of their books in 2013 to the tune of 14+ mil. This, of course, goes towards courting a pair(Trio if they swing a S&T with Horford) of stars in the off season. Atlanta also receives a young, starting 3 with a rookie contract for the next 3 years. Picks and/or rookies with upside to top it off.

On the Rockets side, the roster looks to have a lot more future.

Lin/one of many possible backups
    Lamb/Stevenson/warm body
    Smith/Morris/(Jones or White)
    D-Mo/Patterson/(Jones or White)
    Asik/D-Mo

While this roster is not championship material, it should be able to open enough room to get someone like Bynum in the open market. Pencil Bynum in, with Asik as his backup...... that's a contending team in either conference.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Howard gets a Lasik, that's What happened with Howard.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

Y'all do realize there is a good chance we don't get any of the three? Don't think ahead of yourselves, grasshoppers