1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest soccer/football player ever

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Jul 1, 2002.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Who would you vote for?

Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) -- Redefined the attacking sweeper position in the 1970s. Won a World Cup, a European Championship, three consecutive European Cups and five domestic titles. Twice European Footballer of the Year.

Johan Cruyff (Holland) -- The star of the Dutch Clockwork Orange team in the 1970s. Three times European footballer of the year and also won three European Cups.

Alfredo Di Stefano (Argentina/Colombia/Spain) -- Two-time European Footballer of the Year, led Real Madrid to five consecutive European Cups. Incredbily versatile, many believe he is the best all-around player in history.

Rivaldo (Brazil) -- European Footballer of the Year last season, won titles in Brazil and Spain. Runner-up at 1998 World Cup.

Ronaldo (Brazil) -- Won World Cup in 2002 with 12 goals. 2 goals in championship. Twice World Player of the Year and once European Footballer of the Year. Part of squad that won 1994 World Cup (but never played), runner-up in 1998. Hampered by injuries in last two seasons.

Zinedine Zidane (France) -- European and World Footballer of the Year in 1998. Won two Italian titles with Juventus. Led France to 1998 World Cup and 2000 European Championships.

Eusebio (Portugal) -- Won 10 domestic titles, plus the European Cup with Benfica, for whom he scored 316 times in 294 games. Almost single-handedly took his country to third place in the 1966 World Cup, scoring nine goals.

Garrincha (Brazil) -- Probably the best right wing ever. An unbelievable dribbler, he won two World Cups and, for a while, was more popular than Pele.

Diego Armando Maradona (Argentina) -- Won the 1986 World Cup almost single-handedly and took Argentina to the final four years later. South American Footballer of the Year at the age of 19. Took unfancied Napoli to its only two Italian titles in the 1980s. Scored arguably the greatest ever World Cup goal in 1986.

Bobby Moore (England) -- Never played for big clubs, so only club success is 1965 Cup Winners' Cup. His peers rate him as one of the best pure defenders ever. Won World Cup in 1966, runner-up European Footbllaer of the Year in 1970.

Gerd Muller (Germany) -- European Footballer of the Year in 1970, also won European title and World Cup with Germany, for whom he scored 69 goals in 62 appearances. Also won three consecutive European Cups and four domestic titles.

Pele (Brazil) -- Not much to say here. Won three World Cups, scored 1280 goals in 1362 official matches, plus 79 in 93 games with Brazil. Also twice won the Copa Libertadores. Probably the most famous footballer in history.

Michel Platini (France) -- Three times European Footballer of the year, three times top scorer in Italy (despite being a midfielder), led France to two World Cup semifinals and the 1984 European Cup title.

Ference Puskas (Hungary) -- Led what many consider to be the best European team ever to 1954 World Cup final, before moving to Spain, where he won the European Cup. Scored 83 goals in 84 appearances for Hungary.

Marco Van Basten (Holland) -- His career was cut short by injury, but he still managed to win four Serie A titles, three Dutch titles and three European Cups. Three times European Footballer of the Year, also World Footballer of the Year in 1992.

Lev Yashin (Russia) -- Only goalkeeper to ever win European Footballer of the Year award. For years considered the benchmark at his position. Led USSR to European Championship in 1960.

Roberto Baggio (Italy) -- Won two Italian titles and finished second in 1994 World Cup, third in 1998 World Cup. European and World Footballer of the Year in 1993.

George Best (Northern Ireland) -- Never played in World Cup, but won two English titles and one European Cup. European Footballer of the Year in 1968. Career fell apart after bout with alcoholism.

Bobby Charlton (England) -- England's all-time leading scorer, won 1966 World Cup and European Footballer of the Year title. Also won European Cup and three English titles.

Didi (Brazil) -- One of the great midfield generals in history. Won two World Cups with Brazil, but failed to settle at Real Madrid. Capped 70 times.

Just Fontaine (France) -- Scored an incredible 13 goals in 1958 World Cup, leading France to third place. Won three French titles, career cut short by injury in 1961.

Lothar Matthäus (Germany) -- Played in three World Cup finals, winning the title in 1990. European and World Footballer of the Year in 1991, also won European Cup and titles in Germany and Italy. Capped 150 times for his country.

Stanley Matthews (England) -- Legendary right winger who played until he was 50. Failed to win major trophies at club or country level, but won European Footballer of the Year in 1956 (at age 41!).

Romario (Brazil) -- Perhaps the best pure goalscorer of the modern era. Won titles in Brazil, Spain and Holland, as well as 1994 World Cup. World Footballer of the Year in 1994.

George Weah (Liberia) -- Won trophies in France, England and Italy. Three times African Footballer of the Year, European and World Footballer of the Year in 1995.

Zico (Brazil) -- Twice South American Footballer of the Year, won Copa Libertadores with Flamengo and in two seasons with little Udinese in Serie A managed to turn them into a legitimate power.

Dino Zoff (Italy) -- Goalkeeper won World Cup in 1982 at the age of 40. Won six Italian titles with Juventus. Played more Serie A games than anybody else. Did not concede a goal for 1,143 consecutive minutes for Italy and 903 minutes for Juventus, both of which are records.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

George Best.

Never played in the World Cup because he would not play for England, and wanted to play for Ireland. I don't quite understand why Wales, Scotland, & Ireland all have teams when they are basically states of England...just think how good Englad would be if they all united.

Even Pele said that George Best was by far the best player.

I agree with him.

DaDakota

3. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

It's really a tossup between Maradona and Pelé..Beckenbauer is best defender hands down.

My personal favs:
    Roberto Baggio
    Dennis Bergkamp

these are due to me being a young'n...doh

4. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

From all accounts, he was on a par with Pele. He was known as "The Fifth Beatle" because of his rock-and-roll lifestyle. Best rapidly put on weight in the middle of his career due to excessive drinking, which ultimately led to his footballing demise - in fact, his liver is giving him all sorts of trouble in the present. That he played for a minnow nation that never reached the World Cup is the main reason his name isn't synonymous with Beckenbauer and Pele.

Surprised the great Soviet keeper, Lev Yashin, isn't mentioned in there.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I will vote for Cruyff only because it was watching him that made me enjoy soccer for the first time. I only saw a bit of Pele and don't really know anything of the others! My vote is a shallow cast.

6. DaDakota

Keeley,

He is mentioned.......

Lev Yashin (Russia) -- Only goalkeeper to ever win European Footballer of the Year award. For years considered the benchmark at his position. Led USSR to European Championship in 1960.

DaDakota

7. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Old man needs his eyes checked.

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Diego Armando Maradona (Argentina) -- Won the 1986 World Cup almost single-handedly and took Argentina to the final four years later. South American Footballer of the Year at the age of 19. Took unfancied Napoli to its only two Italian titles in the 1980s. Scored arguably the greatest ever World Cup goal in 1986.

:D

9. DaDakota

What greatest goal...the hand of the DEVIL goal.

:)

DaDakota

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

... and you wonder why you never get op'ed. You are SUCH a big security risk! :D

Back on topic :

I don't follow soccer. Tried many times and fell asleep in the process, but will continue trying. I asked this same question in chat last night to get a gauge of who the legends of soccer are. Thanks for the list... up until now I only knew about Pele and Maradona.

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I will write in my vote for Valderrama.....gotta love that hair and the name!

Baggio is one of my favorite players. Hard to argue with Pele or Ronaldo though.

12. Gascon

Gascon Member

Does anyone else find it absurd that no footballer, even Pele, was listed on ESPN's 50 greatest athletes?

They were even listing horse's, for goodness' sake!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

13. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Pele.

How good will Javier Saviola be? Will he be as god as Maradona?

14. The Voice of Reason

I grew up during the reign of the great Maradona.

I still wich i could be him, but I am aware that Pele has done much more for the sport. My vote is purely sentimental (hell I used to have the same semi-mullet he used to sport. all my buddies did, and we were a bunch of white honkey american kids in a white town falling in love with a non american sport.

however i can say that when my buddies and i grew older, our hair got better, but we still managed to out score our football team one season (yes and that is giving 3 pts for a field goal and 6 for a touchdown while we were counting by ones)

we won one game 12-0 :) that was fun. I sat the whole 2nd hald with a hat trick and something like 4 assists

I wore #10