1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upgrading my computer...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Heath, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Heath

Heath Member

I have considered getting a new screen for some time now, and yesterday my graphics card started to mess up.

So with me needing a new graphics card I thought this could be a good time to take a wider look at things.

From this list of Graphics card at komplett.no I found this option:

Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB DDR for NOK 1650,- ($215)

It was their most sold item. Is that a good option or should go woth another option? (My current graphics card was a Creative GeForce DDR card)

Over to the screen issue. My current one is an old Phillips 15" (CRT) that has seen its better days. My original thought was to get a bigger screen when I got a new one, 17" CRT or 19" CRT. Another option is to go with a 15" LCD, maybe even the Eizo 15" LCD FlexScan L365 TCO-99 that they have promoted at the top of each page. (NOK 4895,-/$637,-)

Or maybe I should just get a
    new computer? (NOK 9995,-/$1300,-)

Of course when I buy new computers I like mixing the components myself, but I didnt really plan to discard my old Pentium 350 yet (although I should) :p

All links above are to Norwegian sites, but the tech parts should be understandable anyway :)

Any advice?

#1 Heath, Jul 30, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2002
  2. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

if you are willing to pay that much for a video card.. then by all means. That is one of the best, if not the best video card out there on the market.

If you get a new monitor, dont buy a 17 inch monitor. I would go with a 19 or 21 inch CRT flat screen or a flat panel. If you dont plan on gaming, which would be a waste of the nice card above, then get a flat panel. If you do plan on gaming, most games look better with a CRT.

#2 Nutcracker, Jul 30, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2002
  3. Heath

Heath Member

Thanks a lot. I was also reading up about LCD's at Tom's Hardware Guide and will probably opt for a 19" CRT screen after reading about the pro's and cons of a LCD screen. I figured if you pay that much more for an LCD screen then you should not have to take the CRTs being better at some aspects :p

4. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I am not a huge expert on video cards, but you should only buy what you need, don't buy a 200$ card that you won't properly use.

I actually like the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro - only 149$ at www.ati.com

It has 64mb of DDR Ram and can push up to 2048x1536 resolution. I am not sure how it ranks with the ASUS card below.

Here is a comparison chart I found for video cards - high end

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,97439,pg,2,00.asp

I personally use a Sony Trinitron 19" Flat Screen, it is very nice, but bulky. I was at CompUSA last week and they had some incredible flat screens, but very expensive (800-1000). Unless you have extra $$$ - go for the old crt.

5. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I also like the Gainward geforce 4 4200 if you are going that route. its a
    great performer and overclocks nicely. Its selling at newegg.com for $149
    shipped FedEx 2 day. It will compete very nicely with that Asus. However for $235 you could get the MSI Geforce 4 4400 also from newegg. I have used the MSI and had good luck with it too.

I also like the Sony flat screen CRT. I have a IBM 21" monitor with the Sony aperture grill screen and love it.

6. Heath

Heath Member

Looks like if I'm going with the LCD, then the Eizo was not such a bad option.

Any suggestions for a 19" CRT? The Eizo was one of the testwinners at Tom's Hardware Guide, but it is also the most expensive of the lot listed at komplett.no. Some of the other options was not in the THG-test. I guess I can flesh out for the Eizo, but if others are good to then maybe I can use the extra money on something else. :D

7. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

19" CRT? Look no further than the Samsung 955DF. I own one and love it. Flat screen, the picture is brilliant. Fairly cheap (sells for about $225). Highly recommend it.

8. Sonny

Why do you shop/browse a Norwegian website? :confused:

9. Heath

Heath Member

Oh and about the prices. I will have to get my stuff from a norwegian web-site and the prices are probably a bit higher here than in the states. But ordering from overseas would be just as pricey when they are shipped in :(.

I have a couple of web places to check out here, but komplett have proved to be one of the better ones.

A few of the others:

datasupply.no

access.no

multicom.no

I think I have decided to go with the Asus and a 19" CRT, just need to decide the exact 19"

Thanks for all the help

10. Sonny

I didn't know you were overseas... makes sense now. :)

11. Heath

Heath Member

Closer to home :cool:

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

cause the dude's in Norway?

13. Sonny

Yeah I figured that out...

Sonny <-------------- Slow...

14. Heath

Heath Member

Could not find the 955DF, but found the 957DF for NOK 3233,- ($420,-).

Also found one of THG's testwinners at multicom.no at NOK 4995,- ($650)

btw, this was what THG said about the 19" CRT's they tested (in conlusion):

But three of them stand out. The Iiayama Vision Master Pro 454 turned out to be a really pleasant surprise, with outstanding image quality and stability. We are accustomed to this manufacturer providing an attractive quality/ price ratio, but sometimes to the detriment of quality. With the Vision Master Pro 454, they have combined a cost advantage with an intelligent adaptation of the Diamontron High Brightness tube. Right along side it is the ViewSonic P95f, at the same price and with the same outstanding image quality and stability. The third member of this group is the highly efficient Eizo T675, which has very few failings and stands out by the ergonomics of its settings, even though its high price is a bit sinful.

Then there are the other monitors in the test. All are satisfactory and distinguished by their own special features. The Sony A420, for instance, could easily take the place of a television in a living room. The performance of the FP955 speaks for itself, it's just a shame it is somewhat costlier than the others. And Samsung's SyncMaster 957DF is the champion money-saver at the lowest price in the test. Its quality is perfectly adequate and it could be a good choice for those who don't want to put too much strain on their wallet.