1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets can not trade their 2011 first round draft pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. 757

757 Member

Well, with the way the season has been going, it'll likely be a lottery pick for us, so just another chance for Morey to amaze us with his drafting skills,.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Having a deal to trade the pick at the draft is the same as trading the pick before the draft as long as the team receiving the pick cannot opt out if their player is gone.

Seems like a gaping loophole for a such a heavily lawyered league.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Shows you how much they liked Terrence Williams I guess. We gave up the right to trade a valuable trade-able asset.

Personally, I think it's a good thing. Try to strike gold by trading up in the draft would be my strategy.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I hope we don't have another lottery pick, but who knows...

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If it is a lottery pick, it is a late lottery pick. Essentially a mid-1st rounder.

If we can get something closer to a sure thing for it, let it go. I don't know if D-League Oscar Robertson is that, but time will tell.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

What exactly happened on Friday that confirms this?

It seemed pretty unambiguous before that, but did CF consult some official authority on the matter?

8. joesr

joesr Member

We can always swap as part of a trade

9. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

We could swap picks, but then the other team is not getting an extra 1st round pick at all. With the Rockets drafting around the 14th spot, it would mean 13 teams would actually get a lower draft pick. The 15th-20th teams may not do a trade, because it would only be a minor jump in spots at that range.

10. Rockets_4_life

Why would we trade it any ways, given that is going to be a lottery pick...

11. Rockets_4_life

Call me optimistic, but I think there going to end up in the 6-10 range... I think we will finish with a much worser record than we did last year.. (the Rockets were 20-14 during this time last year)

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Clutch was hanging with Morey and whilst sipping beverages beside the pool, this just came out in conversation!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks for clearing it up Clutch, but after reading those last 2 paragraphs, my head hurts.

;)

DD

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Apologies if it was already clear... it was something we "thought" was the case but weren't 100% sure, since the Rockets situation seems a little bit different with two conditional 2012 picks. Obviously ESPN and others were assuming the Rockets had their 2011 pick to trade. I wanted to confirm 100% the Stepien rule applied here.

Most likely you'd have to find a team that owns an unconditional pick that is late... or get a third team involved -- a contender that could want to be rid of their pick. You sometimes find teams wanting to dump their picks in the 25-30 range because of the guaranteed salary (in the current CBA, anyhow).

The Rockets obviously knew this when they went forward on the Terrence Williams move. If an offer blows them away I'm sure they'll get creative, but generally this could mean the Rockets are looking for youth.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What you appear to be describing is prohibited.

All trades must be submitted for approval by the league office. The league will not approve any trade that includes the Rockets' 2011 first round pick unless the Rockets acquire another unconditional 2011 or 2012 first round pick BEFORE submitting the trade for league approval.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Didn't realize this part. I assumed if an unconditional pick in either year came back, it could be moved in the same transaction simultaneously. Thanks, Bima.

17. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Best most sensible idea I've heard on Clutchfans

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Well, it probably could be moved "simultaneously". My point was that (a) the Rockets couldn't trade their 2011 pick and then hope to get another one before the 2011 NBA Draft and, more to the point of the post to which I was replying (b) the Rockets cannot have some sort of secret trade of their 2011 pick but not announce it until the draft. On (b), that's prohibited, plus no GM in the league would trust another GM enough to expect an upcoming first round pick on a "handshake" promise.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They really ought to revoke the Stepien rule - or at least subject it to some sort of appeal where the league will waive it in certain cases. I just don't see that kind of thing happening again in today's NBA, given lotto protection and all that.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Battier, 2011 first, Bud, Hill, Jeffries for Melo :cool: