1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hindsight 20/20] What ex-teammates said about Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Apr 27, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

And how many other franchises wanted Dwight? Melo?

Have we not been a solid team under Morey since he came here or consistently being over .500 isn't a solid team?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

All the more reason I never wanted him.....sure had to give it a go, but the only two times you are happy with Dwight Howard are:

1. The day he signs
    2. The day he leaves

The guy is and has always been a cancer.

DD

3. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

probably gonna have to update this list after Dwight leaves this team

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Dwight's main hang-up...he's a quality glorified role player but he's not a leader and he's not somebody you can ride to a championship. He is just a piece and all the other pieces are just as or even more vital to winning a championship than he is. He's not a Hakeem-like player that you can run the ball through to make up points for a lack of offensive punch elsewhere in the lineup. His biggest strengths are just his size, rebounding, and "sometimes" his defensive presence.

Now, it's easy to dump on a player in the spotlight like he is and say he doesn't have the mental make-up to win a championship. It takes an entire team to do that and not just one or two players. If he didn't appreciate that fact in Orlando or wherever, then he sure the hell should now.

I wish him luck on his next team. He is not an answer to anything by himself. Whether the commitment is truly there, hard to say. Nobody accuses him of not working hard. He is an easy candidate to blame when things don't work because expectations are high and he gets max money. People need to lower their expectations I guess. In the end, he talks a better game than he plays.

1 person likes this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Meanwhile, Harden's teammates from OKC, team USA and peers in players awards all say great things about him. There has been mentions of his defense occasionally, but I think most players understand the offensive load he has to carry on the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  6. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Bingo. It all starts with Dwight's shi**y attitude.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I really respect Nash. He was part of some great chemistry teams in Phoenix and was clearly a guy with heart (even if he had slow feet and limited athleticism).

So when he says Dwight would never move on from something he didn't like, it sounds like the entire story of the Rockets' season.

I'm very worried that he won't get offers at this point. Maybe we should start a thread about how great he's been. Kind of like posting flattering photos of real estate.

8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Ron Artest hit it right on the nose. He has no post game so why does he complain about not getting post touches?

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Here's the irony:

Guess who led the NBA in post touches during the regular season? How about so far in the playoffs? That would be...Dwight Howard.

People don't seem to realize that defenses are now designed to take away shots near the rim. Nobody is getting a ton of post touches anymore.

Even though Howard is very inefficient on post ups, he's still getting more post touches than anyone in the league.

1 person likes this.
  10. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

I couldn't believe this so did the fact checking just to make sure..

And yes, it turns out Dwight did have the most post touches during the regular season and playoffs...

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pl...ir=1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular Season

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pl...CHES&dir=1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Playoffs

Honestly, I had no idea... Dwight ranks below average in terms of post-up efficiency but has the most post touches in the league?

I have nothing against Dwight personally, but this is the reason why I can't wait for him to leave.

11. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

The crazy thing is he's led the league in post touches, and still whines like a baby.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Move this to the DISH. Dwight is no longer a member of the Houston Rockets.

[​IMG]

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

100% true. I've been in a good autograph spot before/after at least a half-dozen shootarounds in the Harden/Howard era. Howard always stopped to sign and talk a little with the fans. Harden just ran past every single time without so much as acknowledging the fans with a smile or a "Sorry, guys, but I don't have time" -- he simply ignores everyone. It's a tough thing to watch.

That said, Harden is a transcendent offensive player with at least five prime-of-his-career years ahead of him. Dwight is pretty much history at this point, both his Rockets career and his days of dominating in the NBA. Great guy off the court, but a tremendous disappointment as a player here in Houston and seems to cause chemistry issues everywhere he goes.
    <BR>

14. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

the only correct thing I've seen you say here

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

A lot of us accuse him of not working hard!!!!! He has gained no additional skill since his senior year in high school!!!! He shoots his free throws at the same % as me and I suck & I never play - that's his job for heaven's sakes!!!!! Possibly the hardest player for me to root for.

16. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

this. repped.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Durant and Westbrook both say Harden will always be their brother. Meanwhile most stars think Howard is a b****. I never paid attention to them until it actually started making sense. The way he's been doing things this year, no one would want a teammate who talks behind there back and then pretends everyone else has the problem.

18. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Raven exactly. I'm so over caring what other players think about Dwight. What I want to know is who's the Starting Center for next year's edition. Maybe in 2 months or so.

19. Fundamental

Fundamental Rookie

hard for us to say exactly if dwight works hard or not....i mean the free throw shooting is bad but maybe its just physically impossible because of his stature/hand size or whatever....i'm sure he's tried practicing...i even read that he hits 90% in practice...for whatever reason it doesn't translate to games

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

But, he does work hard. He puts in the hours. I think the issue more is just because you work hard and practice more at something doesn't mean it's going to translate to becoming a better player in game situations. It's been said he is a pretty good FT shooter IN PRACTICE. Well...great! But, he is not in games and apparently never will be. And, it is not from a lack of practice. The same also applies to his post game. He works out and takes instruction from Hakeem freaking Olajuwon...the master. But, if he doesn't have the natural talent, finesse, and touch of a Hakeem, then it's not going to matter much. And, it doesn't. He's a liability shooting from beyond two feet. His best offense continues to come from alley oops/dunks. His hook shot is a prayer but it's okay and his second best offensive option beyond alley oops/dunks. He has no real jump shot or turnaround jump shot to speak of. And, his best chance of making a shot in any situation that is not a dunk is at an angle and to use the glass. But, a lot of his work is also in the weight room and not just on the court.

If Hakeem can't make you a better offensive player, then nothing will. It's debatable whether Hakeem has actually improved his game. If he has, then it doesn't seem to be significant to where it shows up in the stat line but more subtle on how he approaches his moves or whatever. The fact is...there is only one Hakeem and you can't have someone clone his moves.