1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Daryl Morey Think the PG Position is Unimportant?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Feb 20, 2014.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

So... when is PBev coming back?

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

again. the haters can eat it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Harden would like help at guard:&quot;That's 1 of the conversations me &amp; Daryl r going 2 have &amp; the coaches,1 of the pieces we need to add&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/604314227243769856">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Notice he said help at "guard" and not specifically "point guard". I think Harden needs a playmaking SG with passing capability more than a true PG like Prigioni.

We need an efficient perimeter sidekick that can hit threes, free throws, finish in the paint, and step up if he's on the bench. God dammit Dragic why did you turn into such a loser

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

agree, james basically plays the point, whoever comes in need to be able to defend 1, shoot 3s and free throws (although Morey seems to be convinced at wrecking his solid statistical strategy by not having player who can make either 3s or frees, damn imagine this team with actual 3 pt shooters) and most importably someone that can run a pnr and penetrate into the paint and create for himself and teammates - a 1 or 2 thats irrelevant....more guard help also means more james at the 3 and ariza at the 4

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

wesley matthews and dunleavy? dunleavy's actually started a handful of games at point guard in his nba career.

matthews, ?
    harden, dunleavy
    ariza, brewer

6. basketballholic

I'm pretty sure Morey sees the glut of good, very good, and great offensive point guards and he feels that paying top dollar or even half top dollar for another point guard that simply fits into the mix of good to great offensive point guards makes little sense. Most NBA teams have a significant portion of their cap space invested in their point guard position and also a significant portion of their offense revolves around their point guard. That's why I believe that Morey is not going to invest significant cap space nor is he going to build the team around just another offensive dynamo point guard when at best that point guard can only effectively offset the offensive production of his counterpart. Morey is looking for point guards that can:

1. Play good to great D and significantly water down the efficiency of the opposing point of attack.

and either

2. Shoot the 3-ball efficiently to create space for James to make plays.

Or

3. Be a low-turnover, efficient playmaker that can run the pick-and-roll or the pick-and-pop with plenty of creativity to get Harden, Howard, Ariza, and DMo great looks.

And I believe it's this order with top notch defense at the point being the greatest priority for our starting point guard.

This is why when I consider players like Ty Lawson I'm convinced we ain't interested in trading assets for him and also paying him big money and also watering down Harden ' s usage in the process. I'm convinced this team is better off not trading assets for Lawson but rather simply sign a guy like Aaron Craft for the minimum on a 2-year deal. Then re-sign Beverley to a modest contact and use him as a trade chip.

This is also why I was so high on Kris Dunn. Because I can see the defensive skill already baked into his game.

Yes it would be great to be able to get a true 2-way point guard like Chris Paul. That is to say a guy that is great on both ends of the court. But those guys are rare. Good to great offensive point guards who play little to no defense are almost a dime a dozen.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

James is not a good enough passer or ball handler to play the point, his assist to turnover ratio is good for a scoring guard and atrocious for a PG, we need an upgrade there.

DF

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what food do you serve?

9. newAge_Rockets

DF???? Is this a new DaDakota alternate personality?

10. dmoneybangbang

How does this tie back to your OP about the PG position being unimportant to Morey?

11. dmoneybangbang

I usually don't like your posts because you seem stubborn (like on TJones) to change your views, but this is a well thought out post.

I disagree that a Lawson type of player and contract is something Morey won't look to do for the right price as we would have had Lowry if we weren't swinging for the fences.

We will wait and see what happens

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the 3 players that get the most touches are turnover prone (harden, howard, smith). turnovers also were more of an undoing for the rockets than FT shooting was, but it can be fixed with a steady PG.

1) howard needs to cut out the post ups. they lead to too many TOs. stick to being a finisher. dmo in the post will help here.
    2) smith's role needs to be reduced from 2nd/3rd option to 5th or 6th. combo of dmo and hopefully a scoring PG will help reduce his role handling the ball.
    3) harden needs to take better care of the ball. giving up some PG duties to a legit PG would help.

a healthy dmo and a strong PG fixes our turnover problems.

13. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Good point, but Harden needs a guard that doesn't need the ball so Dragic wouldn't fit either.

14. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

Pbev is 1 & 2.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Daryl Morey does not think that the PG position is unimportant. Daryl Morey thinks that position is unimportant.