1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Split between 3 picks or high picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lived, Jun 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. lived

lived Member

There's a gaping gorge that divides 2 factions on the ClutchBBS.
    3 Picks Good vs. Trade Off Better

Off the top of my head, I remember BGM being with me in this one. The rockets definately need at least 2 picks to shore up the bench and inject more speed/shooting into their game. I'm looking at Morris and Woods to try and meet those needs.

However, there are some of you that say we should trade up to try and nab a steller player who would be more of an impact on the team. So far, I haven't heard of anyone who can do that. Would someone like to give some details?

A point to make, if we do trade up, we would probably be shipping all 3 picks, so wouldn't that still leave us a hole to fill, either the C or the SF spot?

------------------
    Do not harm little children!

2. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

I think we need to keep two picks
    two fill in holes espacialy center and small
    forward and sign a new pf mo can score sometimes but
    he can't rebound I want a power forward
    that can ave 10ppg 10rpg but thats just me

------------------

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I say keep three of the picks. The Rockets just need more overall talent up front. Ridiculous proposed sign and trade scenarios, show the Rockets have no trade bait except Cuttino and Steve, who are untouchable. Temporary rent a players between contracts like Shandon and Mo don't give us any thing to trade.

Geek Band Monster has made a great argument for not trading up as there is often no difference between the 6 and 13 picks. The draft is somewhat a question of luck. There is no way around it. To have a major chance at a championship contender the Rockets are going to probably have to pull two draft surprise like Cuttino. Three chances are better than one in the crapshoot that is the draft.

Webber would be nice and the best way to get him is to draft at least two big men, which would show him that we would never ask him to play center. If not Webber than we need Mo who also needs to know that we will support him with inside strength.

------------------

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i agree with ROCKETS1972. keep the 23rd and trade the 13th & 18th.

------------------

5. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I agree with the assessment that having 3 picks will give you a better chance of getting at least 1 right. However, there is 2 major problems with that thinking:

1) I think it's been brought up numerous time and it's the fact that keeping 3 draft picks will be a hugh burden on the salary cap which will cost us a run at Webber.

2) By keeping 3 picks, we are talking about having almost half of your team made up of rookies. Collier did not play that much last year because of injury, so he can still be consider as a rookie for next year. Langhi really didn't play at all last year, so he is definatley considered as a rookie. Can a team with 5 "rookies" make a run at the playoffs? Highly doubtful.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Just because the Vancouver deal included three picks doesn't mean every deal to move up would involve all three draft picks. Besides, the deal with Vancouver would relieved the Rockets of their obligation to Vancouver. SO essentially, the deal would have been:

#13+#18+#23 for #6+future rocket pick.

that's a 3 for 2 deal, NOT a 3 for 1.

pretty damn good deal, esp if there is someone the Rockets are eying at the 6 spot [​IMG]

Anyway, that was just ONE deal. Maybe another one would involve players, not ALL 3 draft picks. Whatever, the Rockets will not keep all 3 draft picks. they have a lineup of

Cato/Collier
    Mo/KT
    Walt/Langhi
    Mobes
    Francis/Mooch

yeah Mooch and MO are FA's , but you know they want to keep them. Anyway, throw in 3 draft picks and thats already a 12 man roster of people with guaranteed contracts. Then throw in whatever FA(s) the Rockets would want and they are stuck with too many contracts with 3 UNPROVEN players. Thats not even counting our awesome Bullard, should he come back(and he should).

BTW, keeping those 3 draft picks would probably make signing Webber harder, as there would be 3 players eating money with the contract space and the Rocks would still have to go after Mooch.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited June 05, 2001).]

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Three picks wouldn't kill the cap as rookies are generally underpaid. The rocks would have to lose someone, Bull, probably. i expect the rockets to have someone on IR.

------------------

8. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

I am definitely in the faction hoping to trade-up. Sure there will be a couple of busts in the top ten, but I am wanting SIZE, SIZE, SIZE! I suspect that most GM's (at least in the W.Conf.) have already figured out that they need at least 12 fouls and someone to lean heavily on Shaq. Because for the forseeable future, the ring goes through L.A. !!

If you can also get some scoring and rebounding from your 5, that's gravy, (hence Philly going for Mutumbo). I want us to sell our soul for Curry, and maybe 2/3 of our soul for Diop!! But I seem to be a chorus of one regarding my interest in the big men in this draft.... [​IMG]

--------------

Our purpose in life is to find our gift, and the meaning of life is to give it away!

------------------

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

If I could get some debt knocked off my credit card or car loan, I'd take it.

playoffs? At present this team looks worse than last year. No Dream, Mo, or Moochie in the bag. Oh, but I'm sure 3 rookies will save us. (sarcasm, but not quite rolleyes)

I'd rather have a little more cap flexibility to sign Webb and some change(Mo and Moochie perhaps), no draft obligation, and maybe a higher draft pick. but really I wouldn't mind not moving up in the draft if we could just package the 18 or 23 with Cato, for a decent, cheap player so the Rockets would have more cap room to play with.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Keep all 3. We only have at most 7 roster spots likely tied up right now (Collins, Cato, Thomas, Langhi, Walt, Cat, Franchise). There is howling to be rid of Walt and Cato, so we could be down to 5. We are most likely to resign Moochie-- up to 6.

We don't really need Bull. I'd rather pay a rookie contract than a vet's minimum. The future is now.

Shandon is departing. No backup SG now.

Odds are best of keeping MoT over re-signing Hakeem or winning the Webberstakes.

I see this as a depleted roster. We need all 3 picks as it stands right now.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Rockets want to keep Mo and Mooch. Probably want to keep Bull if he fits under the cap too(and he would be valuable in a zone).

so that is 9 people that the Rocks will have under contract(or probably will have under contract):

Francis/Mooch
    Mobes
    Walt/Langi
    Mo/Kt
    Cato/Collier

If Walt and Cato are traded, the Rockets will get someone in return, it won't just be Cato + Walt for future crap.

I'm sure the ROckets are eyeing to get SOMEONE with the capspace other than Mo and Moochie, Webber or Jackson or someone.

so that is 10. 3 rookie 1st round picks that the Rockets have to pay. 1 will be on IR. I'd rather trade at least one of those picks, and if we lose out and getting a FA beside Mo and Mooch, then screw it, Bullard is a good 12th man.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

12. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Keep the 3
    #13 - Richard Jefferson(defensive minded SF)
    #18 - Ken Johnson / Jason Collins
    #23 - Ousmane Cisse / Gearld Wallace

The Rockets get a starting SF to replace Shandon, a center for the future, and a project that can turn into a star, given 2-3 years to develop. I like Collins and Johnson better than Lauren and Brenda because they always bring their game unlike those 2 girls. RJ can shut down opponent's top wing scorer, a la the Final 4 and his offensive game is improving. With Cat starting at the 2, we need a good defensive SF to compensate for his size. With Cisse or Wallace, they will both hustle and work hard everyday in practice to get better and will be All-Starts within 5 years.

------------------
    President of the (the Rockets first pick in the draft) fan club.

13. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

If they do decide to pick up T. Morris, they need to trade down the 23rd pick for a 2nd rounder and some future 2nd round picks to get him. I know everybody is high on him, but I have not seen any media/news group projecting him higher than the 2nd round.

For heaven sakes, if Ken Johnson is still on the board they need to pick him up at 23. If they do decide to draft all 3 picks, and do a TURCKAN TURKEY deal and unload a pick, PLEASE RUDY pick up the best players available that has some tradeable value.

------------------

14. Band Geek Mobster

We can find our 12 fouls with 2 of 3 the picks we have and draft a SF to go along with those 12 fouls.

Dude Crisco, who thinks like that? If I owe someone 5 bucks, and out of nowhere they say I don't owe them 5 bucks anymore, I don't think "Hey I just made 5 bucks!"

If all goes to plan next year, the Grizz can have our pick after we make the playoffs.

(imagine I put some smilies in my post)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited June 05, 2001).]

15. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I agree with Crisco. Rockets I dont think they want to hurt the cap with 3 rookie contracts. Besides this team is trying to head to the playoffs, they want someone who can contribute to the team. They dont want to teach all 3 rookies to learn this and that. Rockets will trade the picks and get someone that can play RIGHT NOW. ( I hope its not Battier)

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

16. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

If we can get a top 3 or 5 pick overall for those three picks, I would certainly do it in a heartbeat!

don't you remember the last time we had 3 picks in the first round? what happened to bryce and turksan...did they fill any holes for us? (maybe outlaw's [​IMG]) We should fill our holes with veterans in the free agent market, not with unproven rookies...all you should be looking for in that 15-30 range is the best athlete or talent, it shouldn't be used to fill in any holes in my opinion...

I really hate it when Rudy always pick the seniors over the underclassmen! So I'm not even sure if Rudy will pick Jefferson if he's available...

[This message has been edited by ChenZhen (edited June 06, 2001).]

17. TIburon

TIburon Member

I don't want us to keep all the picks for many reasons why others are giving. Getting younger is not better. We need some vets. and yeah a young talented player here or there. I expect to trade 2 of the picks for either players(vets) or moving to the 2nd. rd.(picks are cheaper). Just an opinion.

------------------

18. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

have some of you guys seen Jefferson's numbers in college? what makes you think he's gonna be any good in the nba much less fill in our SF role immeidately? what has he proven? I think he's a little overrated on the board just because of the showing in the NCAA tourney....

------------------