1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seafood Buffet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChrisP, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

There was once a nice seafood buffet in Houston called the Boston Sea Party. At $30-something a head, it was a splurge but it was good. That place is long gone, but does anybody know if there's another place like it around?

My family is going to go out together for dinner and seafood is the only thing that will satisfy everyone. My mom has specifically requested lobster. Since price is not a problem (this dinner being funded by a very generous aunt), a buffet would be ideal.

The CC.net community always comes through in these situations so I call on my brothers and sisters to help me out here. Any suggestions?

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Does anybody else here remember The San Jacinto Inn?

Deckard? glynch? Gene Peterson? Who else is "old"?

3. Jameson Paulz

Jameson Paulz Member

I remember the San Jacinto Inn. All you can eat boiled shrimp ALREADY PEELED!

I went there once with my grandfather, and he was so embarassed by the amount my brother and I ate that he tried to pay extra.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Long John Silver's.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hey I resemble that remark!

Here's a story. I grew up in Longview, 250 miles from the San Jacinto Inn. One Sunday morning my Dad said, "Hey, everybody in the car". And we drove all the way to to Inn for Sunday Lunch. We took a quick tour of the Battleship Texas and turned around and drove home. This was around 1965ish.

Funny I mostly remember the fried chicken, mashed potatoes and rolls with strawberry jelly though it was known for the seafood. The coolest thing was it was family style, you sat down and they just started bringing you big bowls of stuff to pass around the table.

6. CoolMann

CoolMann Member

Does anybody remember Hooks steakhouse, I believe it was located just west of the Astrodome.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I loved that place...right next to the battleship Texas..I think they moved it to the old Ferry Resteraunt location.

It is now more fast food type, whereas the San Jac inn was a gourmet feast...like 5 courses.

YUMMMMY !

DD

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Fast food type??

Are you guys talking about the Monument Inn? It is still there, right next to the battleship. I think they had a big fire some years back and completely rebuilt the place. It is by the Ferry now on Battleground rd.

They still have the all you can eat seafood served family style....I think it's around $25.00. I live about 10 minutes away so we go there a couple times a year. Not bad food.

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Nice! I was a bus boy at the San Jacinto Inn when I first got in high school!

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I was 15 and a bus boy at the long gone Louis's on the Lake in Clear Lake around 1985. I had to wear a sailor's uniform but I made some good money.

They had a great buffet for it's time. Including all you can eat Alaskan King Crab legs and sometimes all you could eat frog legs.

The only buffet I do now is Oriental Gourmet.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I loved that place. My future wife lived across the street from there, in the El Lago apartments. On a few occasions, we would splurge and eat there. We were dating in 1985, you might have bussed our table. Sorry about that tip.

12. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

San Jac Inn... Monument Inn... is this the same place? It sounds good. I've wanted to try a 'family style' all you can eat place ever since my brother told me about the Hempstead Inn. What kind of seafood do they offer?

Harrisment, you say "not bad food" -- not exactly a ringing endorsement. Is it worth the $25 you think?

Oh, and Behad... you were dating your future wife 20 years ago? Got commitment issues? ;)

13. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

There's a place called To Dai or something like that behind Jillians.
    That place is good, all you can eat seafood, sushi, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That was near my house....I practically grew up (and out) there. I wish I had a jpeg from the Homer Simpson all-you-can-eat-fish-trial-of-the-century episode. That about sums up my feelings for the San Jacinto Inn.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Todai is a good place, I just ate lunch there yesterday. Its best when you go at night though for dinner. They include lobster, crab legs, and few more sushi that you can only get for dinner.

Man, I rememberd Boston Sea Party, I believe it's Molina's now? Anyways, I remember going there and was watching a Rockets game and it was a game where they won in which Kenard Winchester made a spectacular block on someone in which he blocked it against the backboard, so it wasn't goaltending. Aww, the memories. :D

16. waran007

waran007 Member

Maybe the Frying Dutchman?

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but everything on the menu has fish in it."

"Mmm, what about the bread? Does that have much fish in it?"

"Yes"

17. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

That place is good, the sushi is good for the price. I'm actually going there tomorrow for lunch. The soups they have there are good, specially during winter.

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Yes. No. Maybe. I don't know.......

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

"All you can eat. Pfftt - what a joke!"

"Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the Neverending Story."

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

see..i'm not so down with the buffet. there's a brand new Lucky Village right on Dairy Ashford near I-10. i go there. and i pay about $10 for food that's been sitting there for God knows how long. with God knows how many people walking by it...sneezing near it...breathing near it...

or...i can go to a sit-down chinese restaurant and pay $8 for a meal, including soup, that is prepared after i order it. seems like a no-brainer to me.

i'm thinking i'd save $15 on that $30 buffet and go to pappadeux and have some fried crawfish and a cup of bisque.