1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are we not talking about the whale's vag--a in the room?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I just realized that San Diego holds the 3rd overall pick... which puts them in prime position to snatch 1 of the top 2 QBs in this year's draft; if not THE top QB.

Why isn't there more chatter about Phillip Rivers? This seems like an ideal time to deal him, doesn't it? And I would jump all over that, if I were the Texans. I don't know what, beyond our 1, that it'd take to pry him - but I'd be kicking that tire ferociously.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd be down for sure.

I think SD should do that if we offer them just our #1.

SD would get Goff, our first round pick, and an extra 21 million dollars in cap space.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Why would SD want to do that unless Rivers is likely to holdout and/or retire?

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Theyre on the fast track to nowhere at the moment...

They will need to rebuild sooner than later.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Here's why we are not talking about this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...argers-sign-philip-rivers-to-4-year-extension

Plus they have other needs they can use that #3 pick on.

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

7. Hey Now!

I can think of about 21 million reasons (79 million, if we consider the entirety of his contract)...

I can't imagine they *won't* take a QB #3; that would be foolish, IMO. Turning Rivers into another young, cheap asset (or possibly more) + saving $3MM has to be enticing.

And the Texans would be AFC South favorites with him @ QB.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, why would San Diego trade him?

On the fastrack to nowhere? Yeah, well neither are the Cowboys, Giants, Lions or Saints.

And they aren't looking to dump Romo, Manning, Stafford or Brees.

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

^Yup

I was pretty sure he had got an extension already. If anything SD being pick 3 is advantageous as they will not be grabbing a QB. Browns obviously going for a QB. Only other ones I'd be worried about taking QB top 5 pick is Dallas at this point.

Goff and Lynch will most likely be off the board before Houston's pick so we will have to trade up if we want one of them. I personally think they will go with Wentz or Hackenberg first round at this point

10. Hey Now!

While their QB situations are (somewhat) similar (save for Detroit; Stafford is only 27), their draft situations are not (save for Dallas - but they're a year removed from a 12-4 season and I would guess management sees healthy Romo + Dez = return to form).

If Tennessee stays at 1, San Diego is guaranteed 1 of the 2 best QB prospects in the draft. The Giants, Saints and Lions all draft in the teens.

11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I would cream in my pants if we got Rivers. That would easily make us one of the clear cut favorites in the AFC. Beef up the O-Line in the draft, and retain the defense. We need to try and draft another WR and a TE, but could you imagine him with Hopkins. Plus you get this....

[​IMG]

The dude has an bonafide WWE personality. I would love seeing this in a Texan uni!

12. Hey Now!

I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't grab a QB (assuming Tennessee stays 1). Why wouldn't they? They're a perpetual 7-to-9 win team (they've done it every year since '08, save for '09 and this past year); they'll likely never have another chance this good to draft an heir apparent franchise QB.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

His contract extension didn't expire over the course of the season. It is still there. And he signed this knowing the team was very likely to move to LA. The chargers had a lot of injuries and they were usually close in their losses. They are in a good situation because they still have a lot of good players on the roster and they also have a high draft pick.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

There is zero chance of this happening.

Rivers + Treadwell + Gordon is much better than Lynch + Gordon + Stevie Johnson.

Or just imagine the team with Bosa.

There's a better chance for them to trade down and get a LB like Ragland or Jack.

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

As Nimo said I think they are more likely to take Bosa or strengthen up their O-line. Unless they are really wanting to trade Rivers(and I've seen no indication of that) why would you bet on a QB in the first round that wouldn't even play when they are trying to win now? They have some holes on their team and QB just ain't one of them

16. Hey Now!

Did they trade/release Kennan Allen?

Rivers + Gordon + Allen + #3 overall
    Lynch + Gordon + Allen + #22 overall + $3MM

And before you answer, same scenario, but now it's 2017...
    Lynch + Gordon + Allen + #22 overall + $18.5 more MM

And 2018:
    Lynch + Gordon + Allen + #22 overall + another $19.5MM...

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Exactly. In that division they are a candidate to go from worst to first. They still have talent with rivers, gates, Gordon, Allen.

GM's in the NFL are smart enough to know that you just don't give away top 10 qbs.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Rivers has not impressed the last few times I have seen him. Rivers could have been hurt afaik, but if he was not, DO NOT WANT.

19. Hey Now!

In that division, right now, they're clearly behind Denver and Kansas City. And Oakland has a much better long-term foundation.

They're not giving him away... they would extract a nice return *and* still be in position to draft another franchise QB; they're in a very unique, incredibly advantageous situation.

20. Hey Now!

This is silly; he's easily among the 16-best QBs in the NFL - and that's being Rush Limbaugh-like conservative. He threw 29 TDs, 13 INTs last year - and that was with a horribly depleted receiving core.

He looks ugly - and his ball certainly doesn't zip like it did. But he's still a very good QB.