1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They are who we thought they were

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

This team was built defense first. Draft picks, free agents, and even big time cordinators were brought in to make this defense elite. And it is. They have accomplished the first phase of the plan. The defense struggled the early part of the season but they have righted that ship. The offense just doesn't have as much weapons as the defense does. That is who they are.

Now they have the chance to build the offense. Bring in draft picks, free agents, and maybe a cordinator too. Give the offense the weapons it needs, starting with the quarterback. No Brian Hoyers or Nate Washington as free agents. Bring in offensive players that will cost money and draft picks and this team will be fine. That is who they will be.

On to the offseason.

1 person likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

You can have only so many weapons on offense. The line blocked eloquently with a big piece missing. just a below average quarterback performance would have kept us tied. what showed up yesterday at that qb position was trash. And not just trash, but landfill trash. Hoyer was creating the pressure in his head.

Qb and RB in the draft, early picks and both should be given a real chance to start. what's the point of knowing an offense, if you can't apply it.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

They also need to go ahead and get TEs and WRs too. Nate has dropped one too many passes. A kick returner that is a threat to take it home every time would be great too. The biggest problem might be the QB. But there are more problems on the offense.

4. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

That offensive display was offensive. I hope that performance haunts every member of that offense and the staff. What an embarrassment at home.

The thread title is spot on. But, here's to positivity, they need to hit on the draft this year and gamble on a qb in free agency as well. Rg3 or whoever. That is the obvious missing peice

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Look at all the playoff teams.

AFC: Broncos, Pats, Steelers, Chiefs, Bengals, and Texans.
    NFC: Panthers, Cards, Vikings, Redskins, Seahawks, and Packers.

One of the teams stands out because of what it doesn't have. We are the best and only playoff team without a franchise QB. Imagine if we take the worst playoff QB (Bridgewater, Cousins, or Smith) and put him on the Texans!?!?

We should be proud of what this group accomplished without a QB. We're the best team in the playoffs without a franchise QB!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

You can only fix so much in one offseason and you can't just stick 4 rookies in on offense and expect them to thrive.

They will have some money under the cap but they have to make decisions on Brooks, Jones, Crick and possibly Hopkins.

It feels like they may be stuck in that vicious circle of mediocrity for a while.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Id say use free agency to bring in an RB. Blue looked OK in the second half.

Draft for a QB (which I guess means another year of Hoyer)

TE- draft. I don't think any good ones will be available

WR2 I'm not sure... We brought in strong, shorts and Washington and they didn't do much. Only Washington is an FA. My guess is this is status quo because other needs are bigger (ilb is another one).

We also need to resign Brooks and get Brown healthy (that was a bad injury).

OL depth is a need as well.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

If they draft a QB, WR3/KR, and TE2; they can sign a RB and retain Brooks and Jones. They still have Quessenbery on IR and Foster possibly coming off the books. They found a way to get the defensive players, i trust they can do the same for the offense.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

After what Hoyer did yesterday, Im not sure if I can stomach watching him again…problem is that if we draft a QB, it pretty much assures that Hoyer gets the nod. I really wish we didn't IR Savage so that we could have been given a glimpse of what he could offer. Front office fail.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

If Savage played and more and he was just as bad or got injured again; they are in the same spot. Either way, next year was going to be rookie vs Savage vs veteran. Hopefully that veteran isn't Hoyer but if it is, he won't last long.

11. ipaman

I'm glade Savage got IR'd, that's puts pressure on FO to go get a vet and another rookie. If he played and did okay, then you're still unsure which way to go.

12. rezdawg

What if he played and did well? Wouldn't that give you something to work with for next year? It would save the team from having to pick a guy like Hack in the first round, because Savage would essentially be like taking Hack. Instead, the Texans could use that pick on a stud WR or RB.

13. ipaman

He was a 4th round pick, odd are against him and I haven't seen anything in his 2 years that blew me away. Instead I've seen a bunch of mediocre backup QB play.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The odds were against 2 street free agent QB's coming in and playing better than the guy who was named starting QB....but it happened.

15. rezdawg

This makes no sense. Just because he was a 4th round pick?

He had a very good preseason…and showed marked improvement over his rookie season. You're not looking for someone to come in and dominate the sport…you're looking for someone you can groom into a QB that can be more than a game manager. Brandon Weeden and TJ Yates were our answers…instead of giving Savage a chance to see what he could do. It was a very poor decision by the front office, one that leaves the team with more question marks than answers.

And last I checked, AJ McCarron was taken in the 5th round in the same draft as Savage…he has shown some solid potential in his last few starts. Can Savage not be capable of that?

16. ipaman

Makes perfect sense if you know NFL football. Find me a current franchise QB not named Brady who was drafted 4th round or later.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ideally, Savage is a backup who might end up winning the starting job due to injury or incompetence (like Brady and Cousins). He will get the chance next year.

18. rezdawg

Tyrod Taylor had a great season…6th round pick.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Of the QBs left, only ones without rings are Smith and Newton and both have playoff experience.

20. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Dude, he had a decent pre-season against 3rd stringers or players that never made the team. Wasn't even in the conversation in the qb competition against the likes of Mallet and Hoyer. Went to something like 3-4 different colleges. He is out of the league in a year or so.