1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kubiak and Wade Phillips are 7-0 and Rick Smith is.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets5, Nov 1, 2015.

1. deb4rockets5

deb4rockets5 Member

Finish my sentence. I am sure you can think of a few choice words.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Denver is going to screw around and win a Superbowl and our fan base is going to commit collective seppuku.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think we realized what we had in Kubiak.

He's been a fantastic coach in Baltimore and Denver

4. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

funny thing is this could have been us if rick smith and mcnair wanted peyton as a texan.

my god i hate this ****ing franchise

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

...and Rick Smith is...

...hanging out with Bob and Cal
    ...throwing another coach under the bus to save his own ass
    ...drafting another busty pick
    ...signing an over-the-hill free agent
    ...signing another injured player to a big extension
    ...did I mention hanging out with Bob and Cal?

6. Mr. Clutch

...trading 3 picks to get into the third round

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Meh

You could see it a number of different ways, you choose to see it as failure by Rick Smith.

8. deb4rockets5

deb4rockets5 Member

Hahahahaha

9. deb4rockets5

deb4rockets5 Member

LMAO I think you could be right!

10. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

Kubiak is the next Belichick. They absolutely demolished the packers when just 3 years earlier we were destroyed by them

Kubiak used us to learn how to be a good HC. Now he's efficient. Their offense tonight was perfection.

Kubiak wasn't the problem. O'Brien isn't the problem and will learn as well.

It all leads back to Rick Smith.

11. Mr. Clutch

I don't have the same hope for BOb. He has shown horrible judgment on talent

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kubes took over a much better roster. He's even winning primetime games.

13. Mr. Clutch

When Kubes took over the Texans there was practically zero talent.

Baltimore last year wasn't great either.

But yea Denver is loaded

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Why are y'all surprised? Wade's D is always lights out year 1 and then progressively worse each year after until he gets fired again. Only difference this year is that D was already stout before Wade got there. Let's see if that much better D talent + Wade's 1st year D can stop the Pats. I doubt it.

As for Kubes, we know his offenses are legit. The problem with our Kubes is he cut his teeth and learned so many lessons during his tenure. We gave him his first job and he made so many mistakes along the way. He's a better HC now than he ever was for us. You're welcome Elway and Broncos fans, you owe us one.

Bob and Cal, for whatever reason love Smith over everyone else year after year.

15. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

When did the narrative get flipped? I don't think we know definitively whose decision it was, but in the years after Manning went to Denver, the story was always that it was Gary who didn't want him.

Is it because Gary is gone and you can only hate on the franchise if you assign the blame to somebody who is still here? If Rick gets fired and McNair croaks, will people start blaming Cal?

And it's easy to criticize the non-move in hindsight, but at the time it was entirely reasonable to doubt whether Manning could come back from his neck injury. That was the big story that offseason after he went to Denver. Nobody really knew how he'd play and few expected him to essentially pick up where he left off. It wasn't entirely unreasonable at the time to believe that the Texans would be better off essentially keeping the 2011 Playoff team in tact than taking a risk on Manning coming off injury while having to cut 3-4 key players to make Manning fit under the cap. Not that it was a clear cut decision or didn't end up being wrong in hindsight, just that in context it was actually a valid and logical position to take.

#16 Cannonball, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

... about to be extended for an afc south division championship chase. :(

18. baubo

baubo Member

A few things. One is that Denver’s contract with Manning was essentially a 1 year deal. The numbers were huge but mostly not guaranteed. So the risk is not that great. Secondly, there were many teams who clearly wanted him and wanted to pay him. So while true, we did not know if he could come back, people with access to the best doctors in the world clearly thought the odds were good. Finally, there’s the fact that we chose an injured QB in place of Peyton Manning. It wasn’t like Matt Schaub was beacon of health either during his time here.

I’m all for choosing a young, upcoming QB with potential over an old, declining QB after a major injury regardless of outcome. But Matt Schaub had similar issues as Manning without nearly the upside.

19. Mr. Clutch

I believe Kubiak did not want Peyton but that Rick Smith signed Schaub after the lis franc injury over Kubiak's objections

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

He wasn't the head coach in Baltimore. They won a Super Bowl a year before he got there. Kubiak was here for seven years. That was more than enough time. All of this revisionist history when Kubiak takes over a team with Peyton at the helm and had deep playoff runs in all his years there.

No...Kubiak was texting Schaub joking about Manning coming here, saying "I'm gonna go pick him up at the airport". It was all Kubiak. This is one move that Rick Smith would have been right on.