1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Lin-Harden be modeled after Westbrook-Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Tang, Dec 11, 2012.

1. J-Tang

J-Tang Member

I find that Lin and Westbrook have similar skillsets in that both have weak jumpshots and a propensity to attack the basket at will. Westbrook is obviously much more athletic. On the other hand, Lin appears to be a smarter playmaker.

I wonder if the Rockets coaching staff can watch tape of periods last year and previously where Westbrook and Harden are playing on the court at the same time, without Durant, and see what kind of offensive sets or strengths each player is playing to.

There has to be a way to reconcile these two players' talents. It would be an awful waste if Lin doesn't work out just because we can't find a way to play him besides another great player.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What's weird is that both of those guys are bad passers but Beardlin is a good passer.

Confusing, to say the least. But let's remember that Harden and Lin have never been full-time starters before and they're very young.

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

Say what you want but somehow Westbrook is averaging 8 assists.

I don'tt hink this will ever be possible. Harden can be like Durant, but Lin will never be like Westbrook. He is too unselfish and ultimately that may be his demise.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

More like Lebron/Wade.

5. TheChosen01

TheChosen01 Member

The Rockets pretty much have been modeling that. Harden was the primary playmaker while Westbrook was an off-guard/spot-up shooter. WB and Harden did not play well together. OKC got by based on talent and nothing more.

OKC was dead last in assists last year and it was mainly because Harden is a ball-stopper and making Westbrook into an off-guard/spot-up shooter.

Westbrook in 2010 and 2011 was an 8-9 apg player and this was before Harden took on a big role in OKC. In 2012, Harden took on a big role in OKC as their 6th man and as their primary playmaker, this resulted in Westbrook averaging 5.5 apg that season. Harden then leaves OKC for 2013 an Westbrook is back to being an 8-9 apg player again.

This isn't some coincidence.

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

During the three years with Thunder, Harden has only started in 8 games. He was nearly always at the receiver end before he scored. Just replay videos of last year to verify. He's at his best as a finisher. Let Lin be the PG and primary playmaker.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Interesting take...but i still think Harden makes good basketball decisions...and his ability to drive to the rim and finish with contact...makes him very special...

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Westbrook's passing has definitely improved (though I haven't watched him that much), but I wouldn't count his 8 assists as highly as if Harden or Lin were to get 8 assists given the supporting cast. How many times have we seen Rockets' bigs' inability to finish, position, catch, and hit open shots cost assists, especially for Lin (since he passes the most)? Those metrics measuring assist quality, along with the supporting cast quality need to be taken into account.

9. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

most of westbrook's assists is to durants 3ball which is money almost all the time... very rare that westbrook will set up everyone then dish for an easy lay in...

honestly anyone who plays pg for durant will average a hell lot of assists...

10. TheChosen01

TheChosen01 Member

It is more of a coaching problem more than anything. Scott Brooks is not a very good coach, never ran much plays, never did much with Xs and Os, he kind of just sat there and let the players do their thing. He was a good motivator, speaker, optimistic, and kept the team confident.

If Mchale were to let Harden play off the ball more and let him be the spot-up shooter instead, I think the Rockets will be in good shape and both players will maximize their potential.

11. thekad

thekad Member

No, Harden was definitely effected negatively playing next to Westbrook.

12. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is so much wrong with this post it's unreal.

1 person likes this.
  13. thekad

thekad Member

It's not an interesting take at all. It's a fever dream by Lin stans to blame Lin's inability to be a positive player on the court on someone other than himself.

Westbrook is averaging more assists this year because the players he is playing next to are playing better and making more shots. Compare the shooting stats of the starting lineup to last year's and the difference is obvious.

But this won't stop the usual suspects from blaming Lin's 30% shooting on the alignment of the moon.

14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I don't know if you are referring to me, but I don't see Lin's fans (other than trolls trying to get people to hate Lin) ripping on Lin's teammates. I agree with your post that Westbrook's assists are up, as he has not only become a better passer but has teammates who can finish well.

15. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

No, because Lin will never be Westbrook nor anything close.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

None of the smart Lin stans that you speak of say this. The smart ones, the ones whose opinions should be taken most seriously have been saying from the beginning let him run the offense more. The fact that you are listening to the dumb Lin stans & brushing everybody with the same brush is more of an indictment on you than it is on anybody else.

17. TheChosen01

TheChosen01 Member

This is such a lame argument.

Players on crappy teams such as Jose Calderon could still put up 8 apg despite being on bad teams. Good/bad teams do not determine how many assists you average, players determine that on their own. Even great passers on great teams have players that miss open shots and blow potential assists. Westbrook is just a very good passer and he showed that before Harden stepped up in 2012.

If this was the case, why the hell did Westbrook only averaged 5.5 apg last season? Why was OKC dead last in assists?

I hate the fact that Harden is so likeable that people completely ignore his flaws.

18. dragonz

dragonz Member

No, but they actually resemble some feature of the Parker-Ginobili combo.

One is a fast, right-handed point guard good at attacking the basket but shortcoming at shooting the ball (earlier years of Tony Parker)

The other one is a facilitating shooting guard, with a gigantic first step and full tools to score from every corner of the basketball court.

What we are lacking is a Greg Popavic to make use of these two even at the means of bring one of them off bench.

19. TheChosen01

TheChosen01 Member

Manu was capable of playing and moving without the ball. Manu had a mid-range game and Manu played defense. All traits that Harden does not have but should.

Enough with the Harden-Manu comparisons, Manu in his prime was miles better than Harden was.

20. tzou88

tzou88 Member

I didn't know Harden was already past his prime. The dude is 23.