1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Seafood Restaurants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Fatty FatBastard

Preferably in Houston proper for me, but any of them here or otherwise are fine.

Honestly, I can't even come up with a really good seafood restaurant in Houston. I like Gaido's, but I need help.

Give me some good suggestions!

2. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

you read my mind. seriously. just thinking how i wanted to start a thread about seafood restaurants. a couple of buddies and i are going to captain tom's out in katy tonight. can't wait.

3. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

-Denis (off I-10 in Memorial City area)
    -Landry's
    -Red Lobster
    -Pappas Seafood

If you wanna some mexican seafood, go to Mambo. :D

That's all I have for now.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Red Lobster when they have endless shrimp (not sure if it is still going on).

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

You can get their lobster and crab and fish, many good choices there.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The ones that use separate cooking equipment for those of us that find seafood disgusting. There's nothing worse than going (usually forced), seeing some non-seafood items on the menu, then having them taste more fishy than the damn fish.

Landry's actually makes a pretty decent steak.

7. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

McCormick and Schmick's
    Reef
    Goode Company
    Christie's
    Babin's
    Ragin' Cajun

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Pappadeaux and Pappas Seafood. If you live in Houston, I don't see how you could not know about them. For the best experience, don't play it safe and get a seafood platter. Get one of their daily specials. If they are serving these, I recommend Salmon Ivette or their famous stuffed flounder and crabmeat. They also served the best fried catfish you can get at a restaurant.

Don't forget it's oyster season!

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

For chains, I like pappadeaux's. They used to have an item called blackend redfish appaloosa. They took it off the menu but you could still order it - not sure if you still can or if they put it back on. It's blackend redfish covered in a white wine sauce with bits of shrimp, crab and lobster. No chewing was necessary as it would melt in your mouth followed by a wonderful explosion of flavor...hmmm....

10. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Tony Mandola's Blue Oyster Bar or Gulf Coast Kitchen. Not sure if it's called that, but they use to have a location on 45. Now they just have one location on West Gray, but the food is good. Expensive but good.

11. BullFan

BullFan Member

Fung's Kitchen

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Agreed. We usually eat there at least once a week at work and both recommendations above are A+! I do disagree with the Catfish post though. No place that I've tried compares to Sudi's Catfish in Pasadena or the place the former Sudi's owners opened in La Porte.

R.I.P. Topwater Grill. Nothing like having fresh trout cooked for you right after it was delivered by boat. Damn you Ike!

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Never been, but Reef is probably right up your alley.

14. Asian Sensation

My backyard. On the grill..... should be your favorite too considering how easy/tasty/cost effective it is compared to top notch seafood restaurants. Get some fresh jumbo prawns, peel the skin, marinate it with some salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, fresh squeezed lemon and or lime, fresh chopped parsley and a bit of italian dressing. Make sure you rub it in. Prawns/shrimp marinate really quickly. After those are done just pierce them onto a skewer and grill. Don't over grill them or they get tough and really chewy.

Do those with a nice filet mignon for a nice surf and turf action.

For appetizer. Oysters!!!! I loveee love love grilled oysters. Go to an Asian market and ask for like 3 dozen oysters. I say Asian market because they're usually big, fresh and most importantly cheap. Throw these suckers on the grill too and when the shells start opening up a bit that when you know they are done. Open up shell all the way... squirt some fresh lemon juice on them.... pour a little cocktail/hot sauce action on it and BAM heaven.

I also like baked salmon with a nice thick tasty teriyaki glaze. Dang I'm hungry.

15. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Are there any good seafood restaurants in Houston that serve other kinds of Oysters instead of the Gulf oysters? i.e. Kuamamoto, Bluepoints?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The best seafood in Houston is found at the best restaurants, not some place that serves only seafood.

Merlion in Seabrook is a good Thai restaurant with exceptional seafood entries, but I doubt it survived Ike.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Citysearch recommends:

Charivari Restaurant-Home Of European Cuisine
    The Oceanaire Seafood Room
    The Capital Grille
    McCormick & Schmick's
    Jimmy G's Restaurant
    Benjy's Restaurant
    Christie's Seafood & Steaks
    Joyce's Seafood & Steaks
    Little Pappas
    Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

I've heard good things about Reef, and I actually like Truluck's the few times I've been.

18. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Bayou City Seafood.

Destroys Pappas places...

19. silkmandarin

silkmandarin Member

I've had excellent experiences at Truluck's... don't know if they're in season now, but all-you-can-eat stone crab claws on Mondays is a great deal.

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Tony Mandola's

great atmosphere and better food, though it's a bit expensive.

perfect spot for a date

Goode Company Seafood if you are just looking for a laid back place