1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Blaming Rick Smith if you want too

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cstyle42, Feb 6, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Meanwhile at NRG, Tweedledee and Tweedledum. :grin:

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cuckold Kal with this bull Rick Smith

3. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Come on man. Thats not cool. The Texans are a bunch of nice guys who practice hard and are good team mates.

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

McNair: You suck! Jerry Jones: No you suck! McNair and Jones: We both suck but cares we are stinking rich!

5. Summer Song Giver

They just don't know how to handle their whiskey.

6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol Kubiak, Wade and Manning said F McNair to... oh oh I meant too lol

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I blame Rick Smith for global warming...

8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

It's no longer McGrady's fault... it's Rick's fault..

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Since we're all reacting to the Broncos and former Texans winning the super bowl, why don't we do everything like the Broncos. Can we hire David Carr as a GM?

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No that's a job for Schaub

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

He's gotta retire first. But he or TJ Yates could be the GM of the future.

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

It doesn't hurt that the Broncos have Peyton Manning and a loaded roster on both sides of the ball. Maybe it's Elway we should be lookin at. He made the right decisions unlike Smitty and McNair apparently as of last night confirmed

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Sell the tickets and fill up the stadium that's the slogan

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The team knew they needed speed in the 2015 NFL draft but could not land the wide receiver they wanted with good value on where they graded the receiver. The Texans missed more than once in the 2015 NFL draft while trying to land a speedy wide receiver. They had a deal fall through after Phillip Dorsett was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts while the Texans had laid the framework to trade back into the first to select him. Tyler Lockett, according to sources, was convinced he was going to be with the Texans pick in the third round. The Texans made the trade up to #70 to select Lockett, but he was selected with the pick before by the Seahawks. After that, the Texans were a day late and a dollar short, they targeted Jamison Crowder (Redskins) and Stefon Diggs (Vikings) but could not land them.
    As short-sighted the Texans seem at times, there is real grasp on what the Texans need to do to get better. It starts with the quarterback position and there has been ongoing discussions on how to remedy that issue but time will tell.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1641218-the-2016-offseason-overview-for-the-texans#

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So they're not clueless... just incompetent at executing their desired moves.

Not sure that's a better prognosis... a savvy GM is more than simply talent evaluation.

16. HillBoy

That's a bit harsh. I'd say that they were unlucky in getting whom they wanted. At least they appear to have vastly improved their talent evaluation process (although the jury is still out on Clowney). Again (for the 1000th time) the GM here (Smith) is not the football architect of the team - that is (and has been) the province of the coaching and scouting staffs ever since Charley Casserly was let go. To continue to lay all blame at the feet of Rick Smith is to completely miss the point. Smith handles the business details of the football operation. Even if he's shown the door today, they won't be in the market for a Bill Polian or John Elway type of GM. With BoB in charge, it stands to reason that the Texans' football operation come to resemble that of his mentor Bill Belichick and the NE Patriots. At some point, we have to give the process enough time to yield dividends here. From what I've seen and heard from BoB, I'm confident that this franchise is on the right path.

O'Brien was a guest on ESPN's Mike & Mike Show yesterday for 3 hours and provided some very interesting commentary. Here's a like to the podcasts if you're interested:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2445552

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I never felt Rick Smith was directly involved in the talent evaluation process. The coaching/scouting staff is... and once they identify their targets, its up to "somebody" to attempt to maximize the conditions to make that happen.

Now, if that isn't Rick Smith, who is it? This is now two years in a row that the Texans have been "surprised" they didn't get their intended targets, and missed it by just one pick (if you believe the rumor that Garropolo would have been 3.1 in 2014). Even Belicheck had a guy who could make trades/deals... basically a people person that coordinates/communicates and is a good negotiator.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

(Never mind... realized you may have meant McNair not BO'B)...

19. HillBoy

You make a good point. I suspect that this happens because everyone is trying to out-wit each other in rounds three and on down but it could be simply a case of them not getting the breaks. Again, I'm feeling more confident in this organization's operations than I have for a long time because I can see what they are trying to accomplish. As such, I'm willing to give them a chance - especially after seeing what BoB and Smith have been able to accomplish over the last two years.

20. Wattafan

Wattafan Member