1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets history: San Diego played a game in Houston in 1969

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Mar 21, 2013.

1. dmorey

dmorey Member

move the rockets back to their roots

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

We should make a deal to play a away game vs the Clippers once a year in San Diego. We wear the San Diego Rockets throwback and they wear the San Diego Clippers throwback. I would love an excuse to go back to San Diego once a year.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm born and raised Houstonian, but IF the Rockets had to move, San Diego would be the only city in which they could move and i'd still remain a die hard Rocket fan. I love and have lived in San Diego. I would move back there right away if the Rockets moved there.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I think I read somewhere that there is some big missile assembly plant in the area, but Rockets sound better than Missiles.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

He is listed as the coach; he was probably still a player coach who didn't play because it was pre-season.

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/sdrock/sdrockets.html

"1967/68: The NBA continues to expand adding a team in Seattle and San Diego. The San Diego franchise was named the Rockets, since it was the city where the Atlas Rockets for NASA were made. The Rockets did not blast off right away as they dropped their first two games at home against the St. Louis Hawks on October 14th and 17th, before beating their expansion brother Seattle Supersonics on the road October 20th for their first win. Talent was hard to come by for the expansion Rockets as a rival league known as the American Basketball Association was starting up at the same time, as the Rockets only won 2 of their first 16 games. The Rockets would go on to finish in last place with a league worst record of 15-67..."

[​IMG]

Kind of a big pic and slightly related but I thought it was a cool pic.

[​IMG]

#26 Blatz, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Great history in this thread.

Why did San Diego have Rockets as its moniker?
    Doesn't really fit Cali.

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Did you read the post above yours? ;)

9. AXG

AXG Member

They were the Ft. Wayne Pistons

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Ahhh haaa!!

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Honestly would love to modernize the San Diego Rockets logo to fit us today. It's pretty simple and classic.

Go back to red white and blue? Someone with talent make it red and yellow
    [​IMG]

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Not sure if sarcasm?? :confused: The Pistons were in Fort Wayne before Detroit.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I own a San Diego Rockets t-shirt I bought over 10 years ago. It's pretty sweet.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They modernized it once... look at the 1972-1995 Rockets logo. Then came the toothy Rockets logo of the pajamas era which "modernized" it even more. But when you look at all 3, they were really somewhat similar. Then came the vampire/bloody "R" logo that paid homage to China which we currently use. :grin: