1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CEO: If Sterling stays, Doc likely goes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry "Doc" but the outrage is fake. You KNEW how Sterling was BEFORE you agreed to be the head coach.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. They knew what they signed up for. But they didn't care because its all about money. Now the audio leaked and he has to be fake mad. Not even just Doc.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Better than McHale, BUT no thanks?

[​IMG]

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yes clippers implode, one less opponent for da playoffs

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This is just a tactic to win the court case and get rid of Sterling. If this drags out, somehow Doc will find a way to contain his outrage.

6. Awesome

Awesome Member

It was actually Dick Parsons that stated this not Doc coming into the media. If they are his personal feelings then he has the right to feel that way.

Remember he had to talk to a slew of employees in Downtown LA who works for the Clippers (who probably have other things they deal with on top of basketball) and Sterling is not just a racist who got exposed but remember he's a scumbag to. Sometimes things come to a head and you have to deal with it at that time, and unfortunately its now.

Maybe the group as a whole don't want to deal with this situation on top of their jobs through another year or whatever.

Some of you guys are being far too narrow on this one.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

maybe we can trade mchale for doc, mchale is white after all

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Knew this was gonna happen. Doc will not coach for that team, if Sterling doesnt relinquish his team. Period. I for sure hope that Les' is paying attention. Firing Mchale for Doc makes sense...Doc would be a terrific coach for this team. Great motivator and excellent defensive coach.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

So he is still the HC of the Clip. Talk is cheap

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Never liked Doc and thought him as overrated during his Magic coaching days. Actually I think everyone thought he sucked back then. He's still much better than milk hair tho.

11. Awesome

Awesome Member

I believe he's also the VP of Operations

IMO they're all trying to wait on the courts to do their just do...but the NBA may have to take control of the team in September if this guy doesn't budge.

I agree he was way overrated in Orlando, and his first year or two in Boston.I believe he was the guy coaching both teams that lost at least 19 games in a row.

12. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I'm a Clippers fan, but I think Doc Rivers is too full of himself. He goes about himself as if he's Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich, but really he's only won 1 ring on a team that was pretty stacked with talent. That said, he is very popular among the players so his ability to recruit players to come play for him is his best asset. This whole Parsons testimony was directed at the ability for Donald to sell the team for more than $2B...which he thinks he can. Parsons role was to show that the Clippers are going to plummet in value if Donald takes control again. It's the only way he can justify this ludicrous trial to throw away $2B.

13. Awesome

Awesome Member

You'd have to agree he's going to put that entire team, the employees, the 2B bid, etc all in jeporady if he sticks around just because he wants to do it because no one will tell him what to do.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Someone should start a campaign where fans refer to clippers players as "Sterling's Boys" to make these people feel the weight of the money they are taking to play for a racist owner.

Doc needs to leave. He'll make that money elsewhere in a second. He can tell Sterling to shove the money up his behind, no issues.

Would love to have him as coach but he'd want a president position and he's not better than Morey in that department.

15. Jet036

Jet036 Member

I thought Sterling was already banned from the NBA(?)

16. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

The Lakers are still looking for a coach ... :rolleyes:

NBA doing the Lakers a favor after Stern denied the Chris Paul trade. Would be hilarious ... :grin:

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't see Doc giving up the amount of organizational control he has now. Zach Lowe has talked about how he was running nearly every facet of the team toward the end of last season, including in-arena theatrics. No other franchise will give him that much power again.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yes. This is much like the other Sterling story going with the family trust. The family trust said Donald wasn't competent to make decisions, so Donald moved to dissolve the trust. The trust CFO then told a judge that if Donald doesn't sell, the banks will ask for immediate repayment of $500m in debts (I wonder who told them that would be a good idea???) that would force Donald to sell a bunch of real estate which could then destabilize the LA rental market.

Donald has enemies all about him, from his own Trust, his own wife, the NBA, and his key employees on the Clippers. I'm mostly happy about it because I've wanted Donald out for over a decade, but it's excruciating to watch -- like a mouse caught in a trap that didn't kill him immediately.

I don't know if Doc means it. I'm pretty sure Doc's operating with reasonable confidence that Donald will be out in the end anyway -- and, if not, it'll take a long time before he's back. In any case, there isn't anything else he can say. The league wants his cooperation, and the players won't respect him if he doesn't take a strident stance.

19. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

20. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member