1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broussard: Suns & Bledsoe $32M apart in negotiatons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Because of Bledsoe's potential and age relative to Gogi, and because Dragic is due for a big payday after this season if he opts out, and I expect him to. My assumption is that the Suns don't want to take any chances on losing Bledsoe (unless they know the injuries he's had up until now are going to continue to be a problem), and that they don't want to pay max level contracts for both Dragic and Bledsoe. Seems like a huge amount to pay for two guys who essentially play at the one, even if they frequently play them together, with Dragic being used more as a 2. That's been tossed around here a lot already, as you doubtless noticed. Better to get something for one of them, than to lose one of them for nothing. So I figure that given a choice, they'll decide to go with Bledsoe and move Dragic for a good return, as good as they can get, considering a team getting him now won't know if they'll continue to have him next summer. That, and the drafting of Tyler Ennis, a point guard who was the 18th pick of the draft, and the signing of Isaiah Thomas to a big multi-year contract.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Well Bledsoe is younger (24) than Dragic (28).

Bledsoe is a far better defender than Dragic. I would argue that Bledsoe is the best defender in the NBA at the 1.

The thought process is that Bledsoe has more upside at this point based on last year being his first as a starter.

Personally..... if I am the Rockets, I want Dragic. While it is possible that Bledsoe takes a jump to the next level, he also misses a lot of games and can be turnover prone.

Dragic is a sure ball handler, good shooter and is familiar with how the Rockets play and has played well in the system before.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Because Bledsoe is 24 and a restricted free agent. Dragic is 28 and effectively on a 1 year deal (player option for 2015/2016).

I don't buy the Bledsoe/Lakers talk anymore than I did the Love/GSW stuff. It never made sense, no matter how hard the media tried to make it so.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Bledsoe's upside is definitely a level higher than where Dragic is now at his peak. You just don't know if he'll reach it, because of injuries or otherwise. When healthy, he put up similar offensive stats and as noted is a better defender than Dragic.

The prudent thing for the Suns to do woudl be to find a comfortable number that Bledsoe will agree upon (higher than their offer, less then the full max), and flip Dragic for as much in the way of assets as they can get. I'm just not sure what those assets are, and if the Rockets would be able to put together the best offer.

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

As far as I know, Bledsoe had similar surgery to Dwayne Wade's - removal of meniscus. This means Bledsoe's career will be shorter than Dragic's, effectively negating the difference in years between them.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say Dragic will still be able to contribute at the age of 35-36. Not so sure about Bledsoe. He's "too strong" for his body structure, if that makes any sense, in a similar way to D.Rose. When his athleticism starts to fade, he will regress quicker than Dragic.

6. Asian Sensation

It's a moot point to debate who's better between Bledsoe/Dragic.

We'd be lucky if we could get either, both would be major upgrades and help this team immensely.

7. Exel

Exel Member

Phoenix has a top notch medical staff and they probably have a good idea on Bledsoe's knee and their probably envisioning another Amar'e Stoudemire. I know Sarver is cheap, but if Curry, who's a better player, didn't get a max contract because of injury concerns, I don't think Bledsoe will get one either.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's quite possible that we need an upgrade at both positions.

9. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Eric Bledsoe made first public comment to Fox TV Birmingham-&quot;Suns are using rules against me&quot;</p>&mdash; Jude LaCava (@judefox10) <a href="https://twitter.com/judefox10/statuses/493100731486834689">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

uh oh...bad blood

11. NotChandlerParsons

Technically, restricted free agency is a rule...

12. Mr Chuck Norris

ok cool he doesn't wanna be there.

13. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

S&T please. What's the most we can offer in a S&T?

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Basically the Lin trade exception. That's it. We cannot combine trade exceptions with players or other exceptions. Phoenix would easily pay more than we could offer.

15. okeezie

okeezie Member

I am a sports medicine physical therapist. All knee injuries and meniscus tears are not created equal. "Meniscus removal" is called a partial meniscectomy and can be due to a large tear or a small tear. The size of the tear will never be mentioned publicly so don't bother looking for it. Without a qualified medical professional evaluating his knee these declarative statements about long term health cannot be made. Wade is also 32 which means his knees were going to deteriorate through wear and tear based on his heavy minutes work load. Same as Kobe and his knees. Ray Allen just had MRIs on his knees to determine if it is smart to continue playing. Bledsoe is 24 and would sign a 3-4 year deal. He hasn't played a lot up to this point so I wouldn't worry about his knees until a sports physician or physical therapist gives you reason to.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Rockets out: DMo, Jones, Capela, Canaan, Gee, Hopson, Powell, Covington, NOP
    Rockets in: Bledsoe

Philly out: Thad Young
    Philly in: Canaan, Gee, Hopson, Powell, Covington, NOP

Suns out: Bledsoe S&T to max
    Suns in: Thad Young, Jones, DMo, Capela

Suns get taller, younger and with contracts that end in 2016 in time for the next big FA run.
    Philly gets a nice pick for young, a young pg and can go full on tank for 2014-15.
    Rockets clean the cupboard for Bledsoe but have the TPE for someone like Ilyasova to fill the PF starter role. Sign Marion with the remainder of the MLE, use the BAE for a SG backup.

Howard, Dorsey
    Ilyasova, Adrien
    Ariza, Marion
    Harden, BAE, Daniels
    Bledsoe, Beverley, Ish, Johnson

Bench needs work...a lot of work...but not bad

#136 ArtV, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Eric Bledsoe is offended?

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Capella cannot be traded for one month (rookie deals once signed have a waiting period).

With those players sent out their salaries add up to $10.7 million (assuming we wait to send out Capella). This means the max we can bring back would be along the lines of $16 million a year.

That along with the NOP is a bit steep for Bledsoe. It's not horrible, but sending out Canaan and Capella and the NOP pick is a hard pill to swallow. I'm not sure if I'd do it.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is way too much.

The Suns aren't exactly dealing from a position of strength with regard to Goran or Bledsoe.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yes it is assumed that his 30 day period is up.

The money is actually more since a 3rd team is involved. It would allow for around 15 million starting. Thad's contract alone is around 9.5. Add Jones, DMo and Capela and you add another 4. (Skip Capela but use the trade machine and send over about 14.8 million from the Suns to simulate Bledsoe. You can ratchet it up more if you send Covington to the Suns).

But when asked what the max is, that is pretty much it.

#140 ArtV, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014