1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Likely 14th Pick in the 1st Round vs. 1st Round against the Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by plutoblue11, Mar 22, 2010.

?

1st Rnd 12th - 14th pick vs. 1st Rnd playoff matchup against the Lakers

1. 12th - 14th draft pick in the 1st Round of the 2010 NBA Draft

196 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. 1st Round Western Conference Playoffs vs. the Los Angeles Lakers

328 vote(s)
    62.6%
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Which one would make you guys happy?

1. We get a chance at a high pick (mid 1st Round).

vs.

2. We get a chance to pull off an upset (against the Lakers), or drop 2 to 3 spots.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The playoffs of course.

Now if you can guarantee we win a top 3 pick all bets are off.

Actually it will be fun to see them announce the lottery in the playoffs. Not as exciting as playing a playoff game but should be a slight consolation

3. LifeisButaDream

I would pick 2 and then move up in the draft and pick Larry Sanders. :cool:

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMk5sMHj58I"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IMk5sMHj58I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

This.

6. bugerking3

bugerking3 Member

hmm, at least 4 games of playoff experience that will certainly help their playoff chances next year

or

a marginally more useful pick, who could also help with the playoff chances next year.

I say that 4 playoff games this year is more helpful next year than having an early instead of late teen pick. The difference between 14 and 17 isn't as great at the difference between 6 and 8.

So, I vote with DM and say that playoffs are more useful to the team's future.

plus, Les Alexander gets playoff revenue, which will help offset the luxury tax hell he'll be in next year.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Playoffs. As long as they're playing and developing their young pieces, I say go for it... though I do think it sucks beyond belief that they could fall to the 18th pick if they make the playoffs.

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Want to develop players? Get them playoff experience.

It makes it more exciting for fans and generates more revenue for the team which we can use this summer.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I guess I'm in the minority, but I went with Lottery pick....It gives us a shot at a high talented prospects like Whiteside, Monroe, Cousins, Motiejunas, etc...that could turn into All-stars, giving the rockets better assets going forward to next year and beyond....

--RB

10. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Playoff for sure, the experience for our young guys are priceless, and it's something that Morey can't get for them with his magic tricks.

11. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

There is no substitute for postseason basketball. I hope we make the playoffs and have the opportunity to outwork, outplay and outcoach the lakers AGAIN.

12. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

definately playoffs, i'm not big on hoping on draft picks, the NBA game is just way too different than NCAA and you never know if a top pick player will adjust or be a bust. Work on the guys we have now, get them experience, confidendce and thake the FAKERS to 7 games again.

13. LifeisButaDream

The road to the Championship goes through LA,so the more we play them the better.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think Cousins and Monroe could get into our radar with our demi-god GM. We'd be set for the future, even beyond losing Yao.

But more than anything, I'd like to see this year's Rockets make the playoffs. Because, they've fought so hard this year staying in the playoff picture with injuries, not even including their star players. It would be satisfying to watch them squeak in the last minute. . . . Possibly steal a game or two from LA, maybe they could pull an upset. I wouldn't care what happened in the rest of the playoffs, if we knocked off the Lakers, the guys could go out and get swept in the next series.

15. HOUSTONROCKETS5

IMO of course you go with the Lottery Pick!!!

Plus the OP is wrong we wouldn't be getting the 18th pick with the way toronto, Chicago, and Charlotte are playing(and the way SA would have to play for us to get in), at best i would be around 20th...(which does make a difference)

It basically come down to this a, 1st round sweep against douche bag Lakers vs. a lottery pick

easy choice IMO

Now don't get me wrong I want to beat those *******'s Lakers, but I want to do it at full strength knowing we have what it takes to beat them...

16. BEN*

BEN* Member

Personally, I go with picks.

As much as I would love our guys to develop more and have more experience especially post season, knowing the fact that we can upset the Lakers.
    But beneath the hardwood, Stern would prefer a Cavs vs Lakers match up this season. (Just a gut feeling)

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Playoff Roster (projection at 8th in the West):

C - Chuck Hayes, Hilton Armstrong, David Andersen
    PF - Luis Scola, Jared Jefferies, Jordan Hill
    SF - Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier
    SG - Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger
    PG - Aaron Brooks, Kyle Lowry

We're not as overmatched as people might make it out to be, actually I think our reserves are 10x better than the Lakers.

Odom, Mbenga, Farmar, Vujacic, Brown, and Powell

Battier, Jefferies, Hill, Budinger, Lowry, and Andersen.

We've got starting quality reserves, everyone, except Andersen could start on other NBA teams.

Odom is the only one on the Lakers who would be anywhere near the starting lineup.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Which of our players need playoff experience? CBud? Hill?

The rest have it.

It is very unlikely that the Rox will make the playoffs and thus much more likely that they will have a shot at the lottery/14th pick. Thus, my vote.

I think that it is great that the Rox are trying to win all of their remaining games. It sets the right attitude.

PT appears to be earned which again sets the right attitude.

There is also a certain bit of playoff feel to the games of late. This games are must win games for the Rox to make the playoffs and the team is playing like it.

Playing meaningful games at the end of the season is also part of the playoff experience.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The basketball gods pay Stern little favor (if he and his zebras are trying to play Vince McMahon), and eliminate one or both teams before the Finals, and neither one wins everything. ;)

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What I would give to battle the Lakers... just to watch Artest's actions. Man... it would be a fight. We have no chance, but it would be phenomenal. Guys like Hayes and Battier shine when it counts...