1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yeah even with a much easier schedule next year, I think we are still looking at an 8 win team at the very best. So if you would have told me that Strong would not have us in contention of a conference championship by year 3, I would have said no thanks. Shortsighted maybe, but I look at what Harbaugh, Urban, McElwain have done and don't see why the administration was so hell bent on burning everything to the ground and starting completely over. Yes Mack did not leave the program in a good state but it's not like Hoke and Muschamp left their's much better.

But think it all depends on who is available to replace him. After the Saban ship sailed the last go around, we were stuck with a pretty limited candidate pool (Strong, Franklin, Mora, etc...). I don't think we can let go of Strong without knowing exactly who will replace him first.

2. Bob Barker 007

We will start losing recruits to UH if we aren't careful. Heck, it's already happening; we don't have a shot at getting Ed Oliver. I would hand the keys over to Herman as soon as possible. If we don't, it won't be long before Houston is seen as an attractive expansion candidate with Herman as their coach. I doubt he leaves if they get into a major conference.

3. Major

Major Member

None of those programs had the internal problems that Texas did.

Agree with this. I doubt they go for a Tom Herman type at this point - he doesn't have any better credentials than Strong did. If they make a change this year, it's going to have to be for a 100% proven guy.

4. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

remind me again, what did jim mcelwain proved while at colorado st?

3 years there and he was 22-16 with a 6th, 3rd and 2nd place finish in the mountain west.

florida hired him and now they are back to being on top of the state. just because herman isnt proven doesnt mean texas should hire him and this is coming from a houston fan.

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I said that Strong was not a right coach for UT last year, some idiots attracted my English language. It should not take a long to figure out if your head coach is good or not, just see an example of OSU or Michigan. UT has too much money to hire a mediocre coach, then keep him for another year, and another year.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

O rly.

But yeah, doesn't look good for Strong. I thought he was a good hire and would do well, but it's been really rough.

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You can clearly see his offensive coaching job was very limited in all first head coach job.

8. gucci888

Sorry not buying it, maybe for UF but OSU was coming off a pretty major scandal, was under NCAA probation, and a bowl ban. And if you thought Mack was problematic his last couple years, that was pretty much Hoke his entire time at UM.

Mack left the cubboard somewhat bare and there were definitely some underlying issues but just not buying that the program was some dumpster fire/dangerous minds job that would require years to fix. And most definitely not an excuse for all of the blowouts, shutouts, and general undisciplined/unprepared football we've seen the past 2 years.

9. gucci888

Not really news but a lot of rumblings that we will likely see a pretty major overhaul on the offensive side of the ball. A new OC is a given but sounds like Traylor may be the only carryover. Norvell could be back but wonder if he'll want to stay after losing play calling duties. Watson, Wickline, and Robinson are all likely gone.

10. Major

Major Member

It's not relevant. A coach with a short track record is high risk. They could turn out great or not - Texas just hired a guy like that less than 2 years ago. If they are going to fire him already, they aren't going to take a chance that they'll have to fire another guy in 2 more years. They'll only replace Strong this year if they get someone they are absolutely 100% sure won't put them in this same situation again.

11. Major

Major Member

Just to clarify - I'm not really talking about the talent pool they left. I'm talking more about deeper issues within the program and the administration.

That said, I have no doubt that if we got an Urban Meyer as coach, we'd be really good right now. There are only a handful of coaches like that, though.

12. gucci888

Ya, still think OSU and UM were in comparable states, but not that much worse at the very least.

For sure. Timing was everything for OSU and UM getting their guys. Timing was also what hurt us in finally deciding to let go of Mack. Year too late for Urban, year too early for Harbaugh, letting Mack fiddle around the last couple weeks also killed any chance for Saban, etc...

Just think the timing has to be right this go around. If Strong is the best available choice we have, then we should roll with him and see who is available next year if it comes down to that.

But have to admit, if I was given a choice right now of going into next season with Strong or Herman, I'd go with Herman. Has nothing to do with Strong really, just think Herman is the next big thing.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Try to get Jon Gruden form ESPN to coach UT, possible? UT has lots of money, and facility is good too. Just pay someone with money, eventually someone with a great record will come to Austin.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Gruden makes close to 7 million a year to do Monday Night Football and a hand full of shows and interviews for ESPN. He'd be insane to leave that for the stress of coaching again.

15. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure if "keeping your dick in your pants" is one of Strong's "Core Values". There's major issues there.

16. gucci888

Yeah Texas was lucky this didn't turn into a bigger issue for the university and might have dodged a bullet somewhat. Don't think they'd take that chance again.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Thinking about it, I can't imagine any longhorns will get drafted this year. That would be 0 in 2014, 5 in 2015 and 0 in 2016. I feel like part of the reason in Strong's insistence on playing freshman and sophomores in the last two years. He kept talking crap last year about the upperclassman that didn't want to do things his way.

If they lose to Tech at home and on Thanksgiving...man.

18. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Holy **** we suck.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Charlie Strong ain't getting it done

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This Warren kid can run!