1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

2015 Texans Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 2, 2015.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The season is officially over. Time to fire up the draft talk.

Teams needs: ILB, CB, S,

My early projections:

1. Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
    2. Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami
    3. Gerod Holliman, S, Louisville
    4. Devin Funchess, TE, Michigan

Who do you have?

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Texans had an above average defense and a below average offense.

I am expecting an offense heavy draft: OL, TE, slot receiver, RB.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol only ILB, CB, and S....

5 star thread, will read every 5 minutes.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

I would think the D needs more attention than the O. I know it is a little counter intuitive. However, with our D, it was good, but just too reliant on JJ. There are still many holes. While it was "above average", these positions could definitely be addressed:

Safety (Swearinger awful, Manning aging), slot corner, ILB, NT, DE, OLB (in no particular order). Nearly every position could use an upgrade. I know they just got Clowney, but saying you would go into camp officially "set" at the position with Mercilus, Reed, and a recovering Clowney is very optimistic. Crick is the definition of mediocrity. Pickett is not a full-term solution, and Nix is too fat. One simply cannot draft enough corners. Cushing may not ever return to form, and the others, while they did play well, were not consistent for the year. One must wonder how much these guys also benefit from the Watt affect.

On offense, I would draft at least 2 receivers: one to replace Andre, and another slot. In addition, another TE would be valuable. I would leave the o-line alone, unless for depth. The line was very good last year. Undrafted FA full-back would be a good pickup: Prosch wasn't anything special. I really don't think the offense needs some more juice. It just needs a better engine.

All assuming getting a QB is #1 priority, whether FA, Draft, or rolling the dice with Mallet. Realistically speaking, the only thing holding the offense back is the QB. There is a lot of talent over there.

Edit: no idea who to draft, sorry :)

1 person likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am with you.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The "below average" offense got better as the season went on (players got more accustomed to system), and would benefit greatly from a QB with more talent than Fitzpatrick (which they won't get next year in a rookie QB).

Meanwhile, the defense was good... and has a chance to be great/elite with more talent along with the possible return of Clowney.

If you've got a chance to make one side of the ball "elite", I'll take that over simply having both sides be average to above average. Ideally, balance is key... but I think the defense is closer to being "elite" with a few key pieces vs. the offense getting there via draft additions.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Someone slap this kid for me.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I wouldn't touch a TE or a RB, they would be wasted picks.

Draft an ILB but not in the 1st. A corner, maybe a safety, maybe an offensive lineman if a good one falls to them, and a 3rd receiver

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

BPA all the way.

Well, ILB in the second. Get your top rated guys in each round otherwise. We need a star in the first round, somehow.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It might be an offense heavy draft, but of those positions you listed, just about the only one that has any real chance of being the first rounder would be O line and even that is iffy because they have both tackle spots on lock along with having 3 promising young guys in Brooks, XSF, and Ben Jones to potentially lock down both guard spots and the center spot even if they ditch Chris Myers to save money. We'll need O line depth for sure, but I don't think we are looking for a starter thus I think the OP nailed it by suggesting ILB or DB in the first.

I like the idea of a TE too, but with Fiedorowicz going into his 2nd year along with Griffin and Graham, I just don't see us spending on that position.

If I had to bet, my money would be on a DB or ILB.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

I want Shaq Thompson in the 1st. Mainly because his name is Shaq, but he fits a need and I like his tape.

Would LOVE to pick up Tevin Coleman. He's so good. He's better than Blue, though I doubt we spend a pick that high on a RB, and I think Coleman is gone by the 3rd.

Let's be real, our O and D need a lot of work to be GREAT. Don't think we can afford to stress one way more than the other.

12. jbasket

jbasket Member

No, he is right. The JJ, errr, defense carried us this season. Any other argument is null.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think we've learned in the past that you can't use the draft to fill in the gaping holes on your team. Draft picks take time to get good, no matter what round they're chosen in.

This team is filled with enough mediocrity and few enough black holes to make you say, "we need to address THAT position." Let's just take the BPA if that's DLine, OLine, CB, WR, or even QB.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Here's who I have

rd.1 - bust
    rd.2- injury
    rd.3- decent role player , probably a LB
    rd.4- bust

after that it gets a little harder to project so for accuracy's sake ill stop there.

Smith has proven to be fairly inept at getting talent and Obrien's first class was a massive risk and so far that risk has not panned out. After the 2013 debacle , the Texans are as devoid of young, cheap talent as any team in the league. To make matters worse, we will probably take a QB high because of our current lack of one. This will make the draft an even riskier proposition.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It depends on what they decide to do with Derek Newton, who's a free agent. If they let him walk, you could potentially see a Tackle picked early.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah good call, I guess I forgot that he was going to be a FA.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

K-low_4_prez's biggest team needs!!!!!

1. QB
    2. ILB
    3. OT
    4. CB
    5. WR
    6. DE
    7. G/C

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

It was the fifth rated D in the league. That would be above average for the league.
    The O was ranked 24th.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Stop it with the facts already!

20. Remii

Remii Member

I don't see a 'GOT TO HAVE' player on defense so I think they will go offensive lineman in the 1st round... But I hope they draft Gurley and I believe that's a possibility if he's still on the board.