1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O'Brien Notes: 3-24-2015

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Mar 24, 2015.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Personally I don't that is a great idea at all. Despite all his impressive physical attributes I simply have a hard time betting the farm and the next few years on a guy who ran that kind of offense, especially when the track record for said guys is not that great. Granted, he ran that system very well. I don't think he has great pocket presence and I don't think he throws the ball that accurately...his guys were often in large open areas.

I don't think he will be a great pro and certainly not a lock that you go all in on.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agree on this. Like last year, I just don't see a QB in the draft worth going 'all in' for.

Frankly, I wonder if we will ever find our franchise QB in the draft with more and more schools going to the spread offense and moving away from the NFL type offense.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They were talking about the comments on Nix this morning on 790. Hilarious.

Q: "What do you need to see from Louis going into the season, Coach?"

A: "I'd say the ability to make it through a practice."

:)

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah you could be right. I just can't get excited about Mallett/Hoyer so I'm more desperate for a QB than I probably ought to be.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Louis Nix is Sam Montgomery all over again. Great physical talents but giant goofballs who care about other things more than football. Which is fine, but we shouldn't draft guys to play football when playing football is not their priority #1.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, it's hard to get that excited about the current situation. Even though I'm optimistic one of the 3 will step up i know that the chances are not favorable.

7. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

By that, do you mean not trading up for Marcus or Jameis? Because I agree with you on that. If however, one of them was to fall to us without any trades involved, I don't see how it hurts to draft them. It's not like they're going to be Day 1, Andrew Luck type starters. I wouldn't have a problem if Mariota fell to #16, we drafted him, and then just made him sit a year while getting acclimated to the NFL and Pro-Style offenses.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Even though he said not to read too much into it, the comments on Nix are not encouraging at all. He's not working out with the team and comment about making it through practice has been a reoccurring theme since Day 1.

Obviously he has been hurt but stark contrast in his comments on Clowny and Su'a-Filo versus Nix.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The Texans have been taking chances in the mid and late rounds the last 2 years. Taking guys with upside but also injury/work ethic concerns. If they play up to their potential, the potential payoff is huge. Unfortunately, it seems like that rarely happens.

Most of the fans seem to be OK with the gambles at the time. The idea being that picks in that range are crapshoots anyway, might as well try to hit it big by taking a chance on a guy who has 1st or 2nd round talent but fell for other reasons. They only sour on the move when it doesn't pay off.

And I don't equate Nix with Montgomery. Montgomery had severe work ethic/personal responsibility issues. There might be some of that with Nix, but a lot of his problem has been injury and being healthy enough to get back on the field. Yeah, work ethic might be playing a part in a slow recovery, but that's not the whole story.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I would have no problem whatsoever in drafting either one of those guys if they fell to 16. I would be furious if we didn't, frankly.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yesterday I was driving my 15 year old son to school. Nix came up in our conversation and he said, "So it's actually a thing that we traded up to get Nix. Like...that's totally a thing."

Today we were listening to 790 when this comment from O'Brien was discussed and he said, "Dad, it's still a thing that we traded up to get Nix. That will never not be a thing."

:grin:

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Hell no. Trade the farm for a QB coming from the spread offense? EZ-PASS

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I wonder if Rick would look at Hundley if he's there in 3rd rd

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's doubtful we look at QB at all in this draft. We already have a project QB and don't really need another.