1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will The Rockets Resign Mutumbo Befor The Start Of The Season??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T FOR 3!!!, Sep 28, 2008.

1. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

as of now, it doesnt look as if the rockets have made any attempt to resign the big man: as i see it the rockets roster looks like this:

alston/ brooks/ francis/ strawberry
    mac / barry / head
    ron / shane / harris
    scola/ landry / chuck
    yao / JOEY DORSEY!

I think the rox might wait until later in the season to find out if francis will be there or if they will need dekes sallary to sign strawberry(or maybe damon stoudemire)as the 3rd point guard option that is truly a necessity. I would really like to see us sign deke, i feel that even at this stage(hopefully the last.....unless were gonna repeat) in his career that hes a legit backup center who can still dunk off the standstill and block shots better than most any other backup in the league. i just dont kno if the rockets organization has plans of bringing back the finger wave??

and while im posting....take a look at this interesting tidbit
    last years celtics roster compared to this years rox:

kevin garnett = yao ming
    ray allen = tracy mcgrady
    paul peirce = ron artest
    kendrick perkins = luis scola (scola is waaaaayyyy better)
    rajon rando = aaron brooks(brooks will be in 2nd year like rondo was)
    james posey = shane battier
    eddie house = brent barry or luther head
    leon powe = carl landry
    p.j. brown = dikembe mutombo
    sam cassell = steve francis maybe brent barry
    glen davis = joey dorsey
    tony allen = mike harris ( both dunkers, thats about it)
    rafer doesnt really relate to anyone, but hes better than any pg the celtics had last year
    SORRY IF THIS POST IS TOO BIG, BUT ITS ALMOST LIKE WE'RE DESTINED TO WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR!! :eek:

2. YugoRocketsFan

I think we need to sign 2 big men, one 3rd string for minimum and dikembe.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Unlikely he's signed before the season. And I think it's closer to 50/50 than certainty that he'll be signed at all.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

agreed. but we do need someone else on this roster who stands over 6'9.

5. Michael Phelps

We have 16 players if we sign DEKE, which means we would have to get rid of one which would be Strawberry. After that, who are we gonna get rid of? Hayes? Head? I don't think those two are going anywhere.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

This is about right. Although I would love for him to be with us sometime this season, the man is still good at protecting the basket. His skill level for his age is off the charts.

7. YugoRocketsFan

We can get rid of T-Mac :D

8. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

We really need to resign Deke. We can not think or believe Yao will play all 82 games. And we should not try to play a whole season with a bunch of 6'7-6'9 guys against the likes of Shaq Amare TD and KG etc.... Deke is old, we all know but he is still capable of blocking/changing alot of shots. When he was called upon he played pretty good. It will benefit Yao more than anything, because we would have the option to play Deke or Dorsey (depending on the matchup) to give Yao the much needed rest during the season so he is healthy come playoffs.

9. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

We can get rid of YugoRocketsFan also :rolleyes:

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Will another useless thread be made even though the topic is already being discussed in like 12 other threads?

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

we need to sign mutombo.........now

12. Galaksy

Galaksy Member

dont we still have that one guy who got dunked on by VC

13. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

people saying how much they love mutombo and wishing that hed sign back and talking about why its taking so long is different then asking if he IS going to be resignd, its either him or strawberry. its simply whos more valuble to this team.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

We already have 15 signed players for this season Mutombo = #16 :p

15. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

If we don't sign Mutombo, we'd have to stick with Joey Dorsey as our back-up center. I'm not saying that Dorsey is not good, he's big and powerful, but we do need some height; solid tall guy that can play the center. Francisco Elson would be a nice fit, too bad he's not available, we could trade for him though. But if Mr. Mutombo would sign with us again, that'd be fine, at least for one more season.

16. podol

podol New Member

We need Mutumbo,his height and block.Yao need more time to rest,so that he can play better and keep health.

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

By opening day, I expect Deke signed and Strawberry cut.

18. lovelyfishbl

lovelyfishbl Member

7'sth.'' man is of great importance now for rox!
    Find somebody to beat the BIG BABY by body strenth! ;)

19. battousai

battousai Member

I think instead of getting rid of stawberry, Morey would probably find a trade to solve our cap issue and freeing up a spot for deke.

i am thinking of 2 for 1 deal or 1 or draft pick type.

mike harris for late second round anyone?

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

2 for 1 is not a bad idea except that in the purpose of clearing enough money to sign deke, it would be very difficult.

the vet min is over $1M and deke would like a little more than that. in a 2 for one you can't ake back any less than 15% and -100k from the total outgoing salary. if you want 15% to equal $1M then the outgoing salary will have to be a large amount. nothing like luther, steve, or hayes.

the best way to clear room for uncle mutombo is to find a team willing to use their TE on one of the 3 afore mentioned players. cut their salary completely and open up a spot.