1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israel Launches Ground Invasion of Gaza

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered a ground invasion of the Gaza Strip Thursday, according to a statement on his Facebook page. Netanyahu’s statement indicates the purpose of the operation is to destroy “terror tunnels” linking Gaza and Israel.

“The Prime Minister and Minister of Defense instructed the [Israeli Defense Forces] to open this evening the ground operation to harm terror tunnels penetrating the Gaza Strip into Israel,” the post reads, translated from Hebrew. “Hamas terrorists used such a tunnel of terror early this morning to infiltrate Israel, with the purpose of carrying out mass attacks against Israeli civilians.”

http://time.com/3002257/israel-gaza/

I think at this point it might better for Gaza if Israel took over. It is better then the current status quo.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Gun Point Diplomacy?

Rocket River

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Why would Israel want Gaza?

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They wouldn't.

5. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Well when Hamas just ignored the cease fire, things got real, real fast.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Hamas didn't like the terms (especially the part about giving up the border crossing to the PA).

Hamas had their own terms, some pretty reasonable, but some not so agreeable from either Egypt's or Israel's POV since it would make smuggling of arms even easier in the future.

A friend of mine shared these AMAs from reddit that were pretty good.

One from a Gazan, the other from an Israeli soldier near Gaza.

Probably the highlight was this, which was surprising to me:

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

taking out terrorist access to your country is not diplomacy.

9. Barak

Barak Member

Not surprising for me, the arab residents of the west bank have a pretty good life compared to most arabs in the region...

Their connection with Israel does wonders economically for both sides and the Gazans know this.

Since Hamas got in power they can't work for Israeli companies so they just became poorer and more dependent on international aid.

Its' reminds me how after the Syrian rebellion started, some resident of the Syrian part of the Golan hights wished for Israel to conquer the area because anything was better than Assad and his genocide...

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Yes, but it makes me understand why the single-staters are growing in number (and momentum) in Israel.

11. moose

moose Member

12. Barak

Barak Member

IMO there will be a civil war before they would be allowed to vote. There are too many extremiest on both sides, and they will riot...

I think that the best solution for this conflict will probably come from the economical side. As long as they are starving they are more sosuptible to violance, plus foreign forces like Iran and Hezbolla who don't give an actual **** about their well being and just want to inflame the area for their own reasons, can easilly attract many followers with their funding...

I remember that during Sharons' era I saw a news report about how some major clothing companies in Israel preferd to produce most of their products in the Gaza strip, and lied about their origin in their labels...

Israel needs to help improve their quality of life by giving them work and making ties like that available again. Afterwards, the solution will come as they will become less extreme and unite again politically and then there would be a partner for negotiation . It might take many years but as long as this first step will be taken it will eventually happen...

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They would want Gaza. They specifically took it from Egypt in '67. They just wouldn't want anything to do with the residents of Gaza that would come with it.

For that matter, Egypt didn't want anything to do with those residents, either, when they were running the place.

#13 Ottomaton, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I guess their guidance systems are a bit obsolete.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Manifest destiny..?

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Israel doesn't want Gaza, nor does it want to occupy it. However, after being attacked by rockets and having three teens captured and killed by Hamas (allegedly), Israel has no choice but to respond. That's why the air strikes began. The ground invasion is a result of continued rocket attacks that Israel feels must be stopped at any cost.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Lebensraum....

19. Nook

Nook Member

Riiight... If Israel had their way, they would kick all the Muslim Arabs out and take Gaza for the Israeli citizens.

20. g1184

g1184 Member

Wow. Hamas is even less capable (and even more amoral) than I imagined. What happened to the IDFs big bad boogeyman?