1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CARMELO ANTHONY

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vunny1408, Oct 13, 2003.

1. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Damn this kid looks like he's 12 years old and painted some tattoos and put a fake moustache on himself. Actually, in this photo he reminds me of lil bowwow from Like Mike.:D

2. Asspirin

Asspirin Member

Camelo "Babyface" Anthony

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Carmelo "Rookie Of The Year" Anthony

4. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Good thing defense isn't necessary to win R.O.Y.

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Maybe he will win rookie of the year....or maybe he'll have great games against the Suns all year, and that's it (just kidding about that latter part).

Anthony was the best all-around, most versatile player in the draft, easily. He'll be a success very quickly.

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I think Melo is gonna be rookie of the year too. His game is too smooth.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Ask the Matrix about his D. It's a lot better than many expected, and he frustrated the Matrix numerous times during both games.

8. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

While I have been increasingly impressed with Lebron, I have loved Carmelo for a while, and used to suggest he'd be better than James. I'm not sure of that anymore, but man, do I like his game.

There was a brief stretch last year where it looked like the Rockets would get Brown, my favorite coach, and the Raptors would get Anthony, the guy I had wanted above all others in the draft. It was a sweet, short ride...

9. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

Hands down... Rookie of the year. Lebron doesn't even come close this year. Mark my words - at least for this year, Carmelo's a runaway rook of the year. Seldom have I seen a rook so in control as CA.

Why? He makes good decisions, is well balanced (have you heard Lebron's remarks lately? sheesh) and shoots at a high percentage. Moreover, he knows he needs to rebound and goes and get 11 the next game. To want to do something and to actually do it are two very different things. You heard it here first - he'd be averaging 25, 6 and 5 in a couple of years.

Lebron's time will come, but this year ain't it...

10. tozai

tozai Member

I don't think they know exactly what they want to do with Lebron yet, so I agree Melo will probably be ROY.

25, 6 and 5 sounds a little off. More like 20 and 9.

Carmelo is like Glenn Robinson, but likeable.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Likeable? Not if you live in Austin. :D It won't happen on my end, trust me. ;)

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

i said it before the draft, and i'll restate it now: i'd have drafted carmelo anthony with the #1 pick. for all the hype lebron got, he simply does not have the game that carmelo anthony has. people fail to realize exactly how good this kid is....but soon all will see.

if you watch melo, you'll see all of the physical and mental gifts. but if you look really closely (and i saw it when he was at the 'cuse), you'll see that the game is literally EASY for him. some ballplayers set the world on fire at a young age because they are too young to know any better. melo knows he's young, and knows that he's talented, and still dominates with ease. i know i sound like a hype machine, but i can't help it. melo will be an mvp type player in 3 years.

not since derrick coleman have i seen a player come into the nba (ironically, out of the same college) with, literally, no holes in their game.

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'd say that being lazy is definitely a major hole...

'Melo can ball, though...LeBron will win ROY with Carmello a close second...

14. verse

DC wasn't lazy in college. DC got lazy when he got into the pros.

oh, and lebron won't beat out carmelo.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Not even if the Cavs have a better record than the Nuggets? Or if the Cavs make the playoffs?

16. tozai

tozai Member

I go to UT, and I still like him...

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only reason I disagree is because I don't think Carmelo will get any better. Carmelo's game being complete is what scares me the most. Also, Carmelo isn't as physically gifted as Lebron, which is going to make a big difference in the NBA. There is another player who used to dominate the college kids like Carmelo, Glenn Robinson. That guy had no holes in his game also, but even if Glenn Robinson wasn't so selfish, could you see him being a super star in the league? I feel the same way about Carmelo.

18. verse

i don't think records will play a huge factor in the decision, considering the nugs are in the western conference. look at it this way... what's more impressive:

the cavs making the #8 seed in the east or the nugs making the #8 seed in the west?

even if the cavs make the playoffs and the nugs do not, i believe there will be enough of an improvement in the nuggets team (not competely because of melo, btw) that voters will select melo. also, you have to look at the makeup of the teams. melo has a better supporting cast, with andre miller, nene hilario, skita, earl boykins, etc. teams will focus on melo, yes, but not nearly as much as lebron, who has the nba hype machine working overtime for him.

everyone and their mama will be looking to initial lebron (much like yao last year). melo will just go through the season dropping big numbers and playing within his team's system (kinda like amare last year).

in the end, i still say melo will be a better player than 'bron. bron couldn't shoot fish in a barrel, and as soon as nba defenses figure that out, he'll go into a tailspin. melo? well, like i said in my earlier post, i haven't seen a weekness yet. if i had to speculate on one, it might be his ability to deal with the double team. but that's 100% speculation. he's done nothing to make me believe he cannot deal with it.

oh, and, denver? if you're ever feeling stupid, i'll gladly trade you steve francis & picks for melo & whatever cap albatrosses you want to chuck in. thank you kindly. :)

19. verse

i disagree. melo can get better by learning how to make his teammates better. that's the one thing that big dog robinson never learned. sh*t, big dog never learned how to get along with his teammates!

not as physically gifted as lebron? that's highly debatable, but it really doesn't even matter. tim duncan isn't as physically gifted as KG. john stockton isn't as physically gifted as steve francis. etc., etc. none of that really matters when you realize that melo (duncan, stockton, etc.) are physically gifted in their own right. what you do with those physical gifts is ultimately what matters.

did you watch the NCAA tourney last year? if you caught the 'cuse games (or just some of their regular season games), you might have noticed something very scary. or maybe you didn't because it is so damn subtle. most players (lebron, bigdog, duncan) in college have stretches where they just dominate the game and carry their team. it's undeniable when that moment occurs. with 'melo, it was much more subtle, though. 3 minutes would go by before you realized he just tore down 5 boards, dropped in 8-10 points, dished out 2 or 3 assists, and assigned your big men 2 - 3 fouls. it wasn't spectacular or extraordinarily flashy. it was more like, an irresistable force just deciding to guide the game whenever and wherever he wanted...all the time with a smile on his face that said "you can't hold me. you know it. i know it. this is fun."

btw, if bigdog wasn't so selfish, he'd be a hell of a player. a common misconception about glenn is that he cannot pass. that's not true. glenn has excellent court vision. he's just, as you said, selfish.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Melo is awesome. LeBron won't be able to hold a candle to him or Yao.