1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPNU Draft Combine (Draft Prospects Post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bbllr3431, May 19, 2011.

1. bbllr3431

bbllr3431 Member

So I was watching the draft combine and the one kid that has been impressive so far has been Marshon Brooks. He's a listed 6'5'' shooting guard that posted amazingly efficient numbers at Providence. In the last season he averaged 25 ppg on 48 percent. He had amazing games in the big east and was the lone bright spot on the team. He's been working out with Tim Grover a famous NBA trainer and Grover has said that there is some Kobe in his game. Brooks also averaged a steal and a block a game showing his defensive tools.

I would propose trading up to minnys pick if they like martin and taking brooks with the late pick. Lee can start and brooks can be a servicable backup. With that #2 pick you can get a kanter or a williams which can make scola expendable as well. There are some prospects in the draft that can also provide big men help if Scola is deemed expendable.

-Keith Benson of Oakland (6'11'' good showing against UT averages 18 10 and 3)
    -Lucas Noguiera (based on size alone has measurables similar to Bynum
    -Marshon Brooks (makes Martin expendable. Efficient scorer and stayed 4 years at college because of coaching changes
    -Kawhi Leonard (my favorite prospect has great second leap amazing defender and has impressed with his shot this offseason, really has been working on it)

Any other prospects that the board likes?

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Marshon Brooks could be there at #23 but unlikely there at #38.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Bynum has 65 pounds on Noguiera bro & I doubt Minny wants 29 year old Kevin Martin. But I love Leonard though. He seems to be a good kid too.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Tristan Thompson

5. JSizzle

JSizzle Member

Players to Watch for with 23rd Pick:

Jeremy Tyler- Very Young, Great Measurables
    Josh Selby- Great Workouts, Big Time Potential

I think we absolutely need to identify somebody with break out potential. Either of these players could

I think another great lower first round pick on the other end of the spectrum is:

Chris Singleton- Mature Player with toughness and defense

If we can work a deal to move up, I would also like to target a late round pick to grab him.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

nope nope nope nope nope nope

Those are 2nd round kids. Gambles. If we got a 2nd rounder and they're on the board, then ......... maybe....if there isn't anythng else there.

7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Serious question. What makes Marshon Brooks different to Jermaine Taylor coming out of college? Both seniors, similar height, similar output - dominated at smaller colleges.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=26812

I mean, I like Brooks' game and what I've heard but what makes these two different?

8. JSizzle

JSizzle Member

When you look at the current makeup of our team, I think you have to take calculated risks. There is no better place to do that than late in the 1st Round in a sketchy draft where you have multiple picks.

Selby was one of the top prospects, who might have "star" potential. Tyler would be a legitimate center (size) and has athletic ability and a defensive presence. He could also be a steal. Some times you have to roll the dice. This team needs to hit a home run, they don't need any more singles.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

LOL Enes Kanter is refusing to Interview with the Utah Jazz!!:grin:

10. jopatmc

Brooks is a surgeon, Taylor is more of a perimeter power player. Taylor took physical advantage of his matchups. Brooks takes whatever advantage he probes and sees. Brooks is the much better baller.

11. jopatmc

A calculated risk is a 2nd round pick. You don't lock yourself into a salary slot with a risky type player. Let some other star-crossed GM take those risks. Every draft pick is a risk and some are a lot riskier than others. Tyler and Selby fall in that class. They could become good NBA players, but they fall in a class that 98% of players in that class fail out of the league. Second rounders.

12. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

i called it on another thread before seeing this thread this dude doesnt have the explosivenes that kobe had when he was a rookie but he does have a little bit of kobe/tmac in him

13. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

oopps! Im talking about Marshon Brooks

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

You wouldn't take Chris Singleton with the 23rd? I would be excited to get him at #14.

I found it interesting when Enes Kanter said he likes Minnesota, Cleveland, and Washington. I tried not to look into it too much that he left out Utah. Now he skips his interview with the Jazz? I hope he becomes a Rocket :grin:

15. jopatmc

I'm talking about Selby and Tyler.

Singleton is a one-sided player. No, I wouldn't use a lottery pick on him. He's not going to give you much, if anything more, than Jimmy Butler will give you. And Butler can probably be drafted in the second. Singleton is not even an adequate offensive player. He is a young, athletic defender. And he may turn out to be a very good NBA defender. But one-sided defenders aren't worth lottery picks unless they man the paint and protect the rim.

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I would prefer getting Singleton with the 23rd, but with this draft lacking superstar potential, I thought he would make his way up to the lottery. I just want a defensive minded SF. If the Rockets want to compete any time soon, someone has to guard Kevin Durant :eek:

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Here are a few of the combine interviews of the guys mostly talked about here. Starting with the guy i hope we can trade up for.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cNNgJsDrA34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OOa1Hom6ATg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NiH5lzK_Tzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sQxt1bIO_gk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b-dvOKjEwvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. jopatmc

The ideal defender for Durant is.....Kirilenko.

Now, if we could get Vesely.....he would be worth busting a lottery pick on to see what he could become.

19. Nook

Nook Member

The difference is that ESPN draft idiot Chad Ford has a man crush on Brooks and wrote about how big a "steal" he will be... so now every internet wannabe scout is riding Marshon's jock into "steal of the draft" territory... where he and Biyombo can join Skita, Q Woods and Chris Wilcox as over hyped internet stars.

20. jopatmc

Interesting. So, what talent do you like in this draft, Nook?