1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Business] Disney Buys Lucas Films For $4Bill, new Star Wars Movies Starting in 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Oct 30, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_joDNOpeWWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Most intriguing.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't like Pooper and I thought the characters were terrible and unsympathetic.

Imagining an iconic franchise is a lot different than an original piece of work, so I'm likely way off base.

Because either way, good or bad, the games will make a boatload of money, and EA likely paid much much more upfront money for the deal.

It's not like all EA games are terrible...

::fingers crossed::

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Looper is not a sci film it's a thriller!!!!!!!!!!!!1

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I think there are lot's of stories to spin off successfully. they've developed a whole universe of solid characters, but they can't make it a soap opera anymore. The stories will need to be compelling human drama with incredible action.

I do think Lucas nailed the overall explanation of evil, and the fine line it shares with trying to do what you think is the right thing. He has something there, but executed it poorly.

Seems like the Sith rules hamstring the franchise a bit though.

Seems like they can make their money back with no problem. And I don't think they can ruin the legend at this point. Star Wars pretty much has a life of it's own now. Solid base there. Should be just fine and think it will get better. Story telling is still an art, with few hits, but think they will hit enough targets every so so often will remain fun and cool.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think in the books. . . there are more Sith

which is very much needed

Rocket River

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

this is a trailer to the new animated series that will start in october

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xg5YN3LAGw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. PhiSlammaJamma

$1,055,516,955 Rogue One (250M Expenses)
    $2,058,662,225 Force Awakens (306M Expenses)

I reckon with the merchandise and park revenues to come, this deal has already paid off. Crazy how big this business is. Everyone wins. Even Lucas who got half in Disney shares so it will just keep on giving. What a deal.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And most of all, the fans win by getting good movies that will make everyone forget about the disaster that was the prequel trilogy.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Too bad they didn't buy that franchise earlier, imagine Disney doing the prequels.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  15. Nero

Nero Member

Heck they still can. The 'prequels' only went back 20 years in the past or so - there is a vast history prior to that which could have movies made for as far as the eye can see...

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Of course they can go back further into the past (and I hope they will), but it won't change how terrible Lucas screwed up Anakin becoming Vader.

And that's what people wanted to see after the original trilogy, it could've been powerful and so satisfying if done right.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Before the prequels, any one other than Lucas making a Star Wars movie would have no credibility. If Disney had bought the license in 1997 all the fanboys would have hated anything released and right now would be wishing Lucas had done them.

If you like the last two movies released that deal only with x-wings and blue milk etc, thank the prequels. It taught everyone that star wars needs to look like Ep iv and v.

The Hunted likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They can always reboot the prequels once the milk run dries up.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why would that much have changed in 20 years? Of course it should still look similar to IV and V.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The gap between V and VII is something like 35 years and nothing has changed. The gap between III and Rouge One is about 19 years and everything has changed. There is no story logic. I'm not even sure where you get 20 years from.