1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Mitchell has been fired

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ShiniKashi, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Raptors Coach Sam Mitchell has been fired.

The Toronto Raptors fired coach Sam Mitchell on Wednesday, one day after a 39-point loss to the Denver Nuggets left the team with a losing record, an NBA source said.

One source close to the team said the Raptors’ players were informed of Mitchell’s dismissal on Wednesday afternoon. Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo named Jay Triano as the interim coach.

2. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Sorry Here's Link

Link

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

.... Whoa.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They had high expectations

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Wasn't this guy often voted the worst coach in the NBA by players?

6. foodworld

foodworld Member

The problem isn't coaching, or even lack of overall talent. The problem has been how that team has been constituted by Bryan Colangelo: you have too many players who do similar things. All that team needed to be successful was a banger/inside presence to complement Bosh's finesse game. Right now Kris Humphries is their best interior scorer, and that is sad. Bosh, Bargniani (sp?), Moon, O'Neal....that team is stacked with soft [yet more or less talented] bigs. Combined with a defensively-deficient backcourt, you have the recipe for a losing season.

7. yobod

yobod Member

I remember either last year, or two years ago, he had some major problems with his players. Like, there was some strife in the locker room where he basically alienated himself from a group of his players, and there was a lot of speculation that he was going to go somewhere else, but then he got the contract extension instead, so all of that kind of died. This really doesn't come as a surprise to me though, since people were picking them as sleeper picks to go to the Eastern Conference Finals. I just don't think they have what it takes to compete with Boston, Detroit, and Cleveland though....they don't have the mental toughness that Detroit has, and they don't have the superstar leadership that Cleveland and Boston have.

8. rocket_republic

Raptors management are Stupid why would they trade Ford for Jermaine Oneal. Do they really think Calderon>>>>>Ford?????????????

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Finally! I would have fired Sam Mitchell a couple seasons ago.

A 40 point loss finally did the job. I was watching the game yesterday and I said "No ****, I am going to fire your ass." It's so painful to watch the Raptors' defenseless ass.

Who's available? Flip Saunders? European coach?

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

Rafer is somewhere smiling. ;)

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Actually yeah, everything Calderon does is better including Ford's greatest strength which is penetration

12. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Sam Mitchell was coach of the year 06-07. :eek:

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah but he still was voted worst coach I think the year before by the players.

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

It's about damn time!

I think Sam Mitchell is by far the worst coach in the NBA. He doesn't have the players' respect and he is as dumb as a doornail. Just an all around terrible coach. I am happy the Raps management finally realized this.

15. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

They needed a reason to fire him - a 40 point loss gives it to them. We all know Colangelo likes a more European-styled offense...it's too bad D'antoni is in NY.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Coaching is definitely part of the problem. Sam Mitchell is a borderline nutcase. He's improved some the last couple of years but he's not cut out to be a successful NBA coach. Him getting coach of the year was a joke IMO. Agreed their roster is too soft (I've made fun of them for years, just ask forum member 'ChrisBosh'). JO was supposed to be their banger but they'll be lucky if he plays 50 games. The Pacers won that trade easily.

They need a couple of nasty guys who will foul hard, shove people around and draw charges. They also need a player (or a new coach) who will kick the other guys in the rump when they start putting their heads down. I don't watch the Raptors that often, but they show bad body language and give up on games sooner than any other team I can think of.

17. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

He had it coming since his fallout with Rafer.

Unrelated.... but what if Kakashi was a Shinigami!?

18. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Eddie Jordan

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

hire Jeff Van Gundy

20. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

Good Riddance.

-Signed Rafer Alston