1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Hawk Rides First Real Hoverboard

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Johnny Knoxville has really let himself go.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It'd be pretty hard to find anyone on this planet happier than Tony Hawk. I didn't hear anything explanation of the technology so I'll call BS.

5. Xerobull

Reading fail; it's not a prank as they have a Kickstarter going, which has an explanation of the tech.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Tony Hawk's Pro Hoverboarder coming out soon I suppose?

So can you speed up using that thing? Do you have to lean forward like a Segway?

7. Xerobull

Here's a few ways:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z1ZdMOMUgXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Only works on really special substrate, so this technology is pretty much useless for every normal person.

9. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

pretty sure that wasnt him

10. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

This was already done, I don't know if it is the same company/people or not. It needs that special surface to actually hover which makes it pretty much useless for practical purposes.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The technology is useless as a hoverboard, yes, but the technology could be useful elsewhere. The inventor really only turned this into a hoverboard for publicity, he really wants to sell the technology for other applications like earthquake-proof buildings and such.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The angle at which that lady is leaning towards the guy there... that's HOVERBOARD technology, all right. :eek:

pretty sure 'Twas a joke. :eek: He and we all know that's not him.

#13 SwoLy-D, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  13. Xerobull

That's true- it would take an infrastructure change. There are already technologies that require new road surfaces, like electric car charging and integrated road signage. Rolling them into one project would cut down the costs.

It will get done eventually- maybe not in my lifetime but we're going to eventually going to run out of fossil fuel and need to be more efficient with our transportation.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Daaayum... look at how high that thing went!

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Railroads and trains, welcome to the 21st century.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems to me that the technology winner will not need a substrate. We don't want roads. We want green. All work related transportation I believe will move underground and will not need a user to power. That will allow roads to disappear. As for entertainment travel above or below surface, seems like it has to allow one to push a boundary that your friends may not be able to push as well as you, or that you can use to show somebody something they could not see or do without you. I'd ask myself, does the hover board do either of those things. Only if it allows for mastery or some sort unique transit. But I don't see it's use until there are no roads. And I don't see it as a technology that allows for the removal of roads.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I wonder if I could fly to China or maybe even Africa with that thing one day.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

McFly! You bojo! Hoverboards don't work on water!!!! Unless you've got POWER! :p

[​IMG]

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Looks boring, at least for what I was expecting. It's so low to the ground, if they can raise it 6 inches then it would be bad ass.