1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Is Demarcus Cousins better than Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hardLINer, Nov 23, 2014.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Dwight is a bad #2 option IMO. Dwight is a finisher. Dwight is not a good creator (post offense).

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

3. VBG

VBG Member

Before this year I would have completely dismissed this argument but I think it has some merit now. Cousins defense has reached acceptable levels and he bends defenses to a level that Dwight does not. I trust him as an offensive focal point more than Dwight. I think he's better than Dwight offensively. And the gap defensively isn't big enough anymore.

I would still take healthy Dwight in a 7 game series but it's close and my opinion could change by the end of the year.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Wake me up when a Noah led team does anything noteworthy in the lowly East. The Bulls can't even do anything with him and Rose.

Cousins, Gasol, Howard, Davis are up for debate.

Cousins has the most complete offense and dominates teams in the post.

Davis is the best shot blocker and perhaps already best player of the bunch.

Gasol is the best play maker.

Howard is the best defender.

These four guys are two way players and can do it all.

Noah is a not as good of a defender as Howard, not as good of a play maker as Gasol and does not have any semblance of an offensive game as good as Cousins or Davis. He is a jack of all trades, but great at none. Aside from perhaps defense, but I still don't believe he is as good in that regards as Howard.

Great defenders look even better when they play for great defensive coaches and teams. Houston saw enough of this with Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier under JVG.

5. HRox832

HRox832 Member

What the hell? Gasol and Noah are better than Dwight? Gasol is having a great season but he no way a better overall player than Dwight. Also, how can you say Noah is better. His stats have decreased a little since last year, and about last year... Dwight was still better than Noah.

For me it goes:
    1. Cousins
    2. Dwight
    3. Gasol
    4. Noah
    5. Jefferson/Vucevic

6. theangrycanary

7. theangrycanary

People really underestimate how amazing Dwight is on defense. If Dwight just sucked it up and just focused on pick and roll and underhand free throws, he would be an unstoppable two way force in this league. But he's never had a coach with balls enough to control his ego.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's what happens when you lose 50 pounds in an offseason

9. VBG

VBG Member

Marc Gasol has an argument as the best center. He can score, pass, rebound, defend. He's great in pick and pops/pick and rolls. High/lows. Love his game.

I just don't see it with Noah at all. Probably the most overrated player in the NBA to me.

10. what

what Member

If I had to choose between Marc Gasol and Boogie, I might choose Boogie. I actually would probably choose Boogie even over Anthony Davis. I'm not sure why, but Boogie has a devastating offensive game and a will to win that, to me, is rare for a young player like him.

Nobody on our team can guard Cousins and that's a problem.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If he was that amazing, the Rockets would have at least been top 10 in defense last year.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

IIRC, The Rockets were in or near the top 10 defense all of last year until close to the end. Also not surprisingly, Dwight had to sit out many games around that time.

And they finished 13th in the league. Mind you that the Rockets lost their defensive coordinator (if you will) with a month left in the season as well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2014.html
    <br>
    Point is, Dwight is still the best defensive big man in the league.

13. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Dwight is the better defender. Matter of fact he was top in mostly all Defensive categories until he got injured.

Cousins is a better offensive player. Cousins probably is the better Center tho.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

As of this season, I'd still take a healthy Howard over Cousins.

The one big man I'd take over Howard at this point is Anthony Davis. That dude has the Pelicans playing well.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Anthony Davis and Cousins are by far the 2 best bigs in the league.

Gasol and Howard are a tier below.

Watch how the Bulls guarded Cousins. They doubled him like crazy despite having the DPOY on him. He's an unguardable beast.

16. what

what Member

I'm not so sure about this. Unless you haven't been watching Marc is putting up monster games points-wise, which his last step. He was already the most complete center in the league, but now averaging 20+ points a game, it's hard to argue that anyone is better than him.

Physical-ability wise, sure they can do so things that marc can't do. But marc has no weaknesses at this point.

17. what

what Member

I do agree though that Cousins is unguardable.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Gasol is the better defender, but Cousins has made great strides.

But offensively, Cousins is the best right now. He's the only big man I would run 5-6 straight plays for I have to. I don't feel comfortable doing that with any other big man at all.

Cousins can post up, go out and take the J, get offensive boards, finish inside, or be a playmaker for the high post. He's a complete offensive player.

I saw him abused Noah like he was nothing, and Thibs had to bring A TON of help just to contain Cousins.

19. what

what Member

Cousins is abusing everybody. Like I said, nobody can stop him right now. That's why it is my opinion that Cousins IS the better player between him and Davis.

When the grizzlies played the pelicans we shut Davis down for the most part. However Cousins was a different animal. Nobody on our team could guard him.

20. JazzLakerHater

I thought it was absolutely ridiculous how people were calling Noah the best center in the NBA. A couple of years ago, I thought Noah was one of the most underrated players in the league, now I think he's the most overrated ( along with Klay Thompson). Cousins and Marc Gasol are the only two centers who you can make arguments that they are better than Dwight.