1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cars - Sedans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Funny...my Dad (who I probably shouldn't be getting advice from on a new car because he's a total procrastinator and believes in generally buying inexpensive "quality" cars (he has a Kia Optima))...basically told me I should consider a Ford Mustang. He kept saying V8 but he didn't realize it because I know my Dad and he would never recommend a V8. He's generally opposed to the Lexus because of the premium gas requirement...which I hadn't really thought of before but is a point to consider when gas prices go back up (as they inevitably will).

So, I kept saying "you want me to consider a Mustang V8?" over and over...because I couldn't believe what he was saying. Then, finally, he snapped as far as what he was saying and said "did I say that? no...I mean a V6!". I had a good laugh about it and said "No...you said a V8!". But, I'm not really considering a V8 because I'm not looking for that kind of power and he was right in one thing...I would probably kill myself with that kind of power. The V6 Mustang is a manual...which I'm not sure I want anway. But, the idea is intriguing. I still think the 6 month insurance premiums would not be favorable regardless.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you want something relatively economical that is a Mustang, get the ecoboost turbo 4 cylinder Mustang. It's actually faster than the V6. It weighs less and it returns a better fuel economy.

I've heard great things about the ecoboost Stang. The manual ecoboost starts at $25,600 which is a good deal and within your price range.

3. Surfguy

That's actually an intriguing option and I may just add it to my list...albeit I would want the auto. I didn't know they did autos at first. I also got to splurge on the Shaker premium sound as I'm sucker for better sound systems.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That's cool because fchowd hates manuals.

If you like autos Honda makes a dual clutch motorcycle. It is like an auto but better because it is a manual that shift and clutches automatically. Can get it on the VFR1200 or the NC700x DCT. Far better than an auto and miles ahead of a crappy CVT that comes on scooters and crappy cars. Very common on super cars like Ferrari. Honda is the only one with dual clutch on the motorcycle market right now. Pretty amazing.

5. fchowd0311

[​IMG]

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well if you look at the Mustang v4, you might want to try out the Camaro v4 too, might be a little more expensive though.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

8. Bandwagoner

Yeah the VFR1200 DCT I mentioned has the V4. They sound amazing just like the MotoGP bikes. But a street version has a much lower idle and with straight pipes sounds like a V8 muscle car. The NC700 just has a parallel twin but it has a 270 degree crank so it sounds pretty decent. Similar to a L-twin (ducati) but without the sweet desmo harmonics.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

#89 Haymitch, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  10. Surfguy

Damn...the more I read and watch reviews on the Ford Mustang Ecoboost...the more I like it. It looks like a whole lot of fun. And, I'm even considering going back to manual.

11. SunsRocketsfan

yea it sounds like you shouldn't be asking your dad for advice on a new car..

BTW - the whole premium gas argument is dumb. Almost all BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes, etc all require premium gasoline now but on the flip side is they all average about 25+ miles per gallon now. So say you drive on average 12,000 miles a year and premium costs on avg 20 cents more than regular. you are paying an extra 100 bucks a year in gas.. big whoop. Plus Im sure oyu pay more with the crappy MPG's you will be getting with a V8.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hmmmm, I'd stay away from a turbo 4 in a Mustang -- starts at 25,000 but good luck finding one at that price -- about 35,000 is what you'll pay and 40k isn't out of the question. If you're going to get a Mustang you've got to go with a V8 manual -- the new 5.0 is one of the best engines of this generation.

You mentioned the Accord V6 transmission in another post -- it's a 6 speed auto with paddles.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Um... you can get a ecoboost for about 24k with ease right now... GT for 30k

Where in the world did you get 40k for a ecoboost from? That would mean he's getting a 50th anniversary, convertible, fully optioned, automatic ecoboost while ALSO paying 5k over MSRP for it.

OP once you find what car you know you want, let us know. I'll look up the going prices for you and see if I can help you get a good deal near your area.

14. fchowd0311

Manuals are part of the full experience of owning a pony car. I definitely would go for it. New manuals are very easy to operate in traffic with an easy to operate clutch pedal that doesn't strain your legs.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have the accord. Not v6. I love it. Drives great. I don't race though. It's a commuter car for me.

16. Surfguy

I read somewhere that you were going to be able to get Factory tunes to the Ecoboost that wouldn't void your warranty. I know you can easily buy a gadget and do it yourself but it voids the warranty. Obviously, it won't matter after the warranty period is over. From what I'm reading, the options to improve the performance via tuning are more capable on the Ecoboost than the V6. It sounds like no one is really buying the V6. They are going for the Ecoboost or the V8. I've seen the Ecoboost will beat a V6 out of the gate but, as the V6 RPMs go up after it gets going, the V6 will pass the Ecoboost in the quarter mile. It's fun reading about all that stuff and watching the YouTube videos but, in the end, it doesn't matter all that much to me personally. I would choose the Ecoboost over the V6. The V8 is probably not my cup of tea even though that is obviously the one to get as a sports car afficianado. I think the Ecoboost is a better balanced car than the V8, though, even if less power. That is what the reviews and Ford guys are indicating anyway.

17. fchowd0311

The ecoboost has the smallest block engine which helps with weight distribution and overall mass which improves handling. That's why many prefer the ecoboost.

18. Surfguy

2016?

19. Bandwagoner

Coyote would destroy the ecoboost on any track. I don't know the price different but there it is.

Mustang is a difficult car to live with if you are coming from a Camry. The trunk isn't tiny but the entrance to it is, making larger objects difficult to fit inside. The 2015 plus have pass through (to the rear seats) that I didn't have but those taillights are huge. Rear seats are tiny even for 100 pound girls, good for a briefcase. Overall it is a very good car but I wouldn't take those compromises without the 435 stock hp that comes with it.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Highs and Lows

Highs: High grip limits, three pedals, all the looks of the five-oh.

Lows: Lackluster engine, requires premium fuel for advertised power.

Specifications

VEHICLE TYPE:
    front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

PRICE AS TESTED:
    $38,585 (base price: $26,125)

ENGINE TYPE:
    turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

link