1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

that is true. :grin: but keeping a watchful eye on the htc 10 w/bootloader, encryption, and root issues.

edit: screw it. ordered lol.

#101 OmegaSupreme, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. SunsRocketsfan

i have inside sources and I can confirm that the next Nexus is made by HTC. They dumped huawei and working exclusively with HTC on the next Nexus.

3. OmegaSupreme

so... any other nexus users running the developer preview 3 of android n?

jank is gone. animations are on point and buttery smooth for a beta. notification priorities, night mode, multi window, improved doze, etc. only issue i've run into is an incompatible app here and there, which in understandable until its final release.

thoughts?

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'm hoping "okay google" comes back. Right now it's only when the screen is on or charging. Few app crashes like HBOGO and watchTNT and random fitbit. Groupme causes crash when trying to share from Chrome.

Haven't used split window since D2 since it was buggy. Is it any better this time around?

5. OmegaSupreme

split screen is indeed fine. "ok google" works everywhere again... even with screen off.

app compatibility is the main issue. netflix is fine. xfinity live tv is a no go. app devs will have to take note.

also, for folks interested in the HTC 10... is a good phone. does everything well. not a single complaint although i sent it back for an unrelated issue. solid phone.

6. BiGGieStuFF

You sure it works with the screen off? mine only works with the screen off when it's charging. It even says so in the google search app settings.

7. OmegaSupreme

yep. tried it before posting.

8. BiGGieStuFF

nexus 6 or 6p?

9. OmegaSupreme

nexus 6p

10. BiGGieStuFF

There's the reason. I looked it up and 6p folks still have it. 6 folks, left out int he cold

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

As much as I miss my windows phone, I do like my 6p. It's been a great experience. The fingerprint reader is great, and when you throw Pure Nexus on it you have a super fast phone.

That being said, IF a Surface Phone comes out I will switch back so fast my Nexus won't know what hit it.

12. OmegaSupreme

that's strange. could have sworn that feature was available on the 6 with mm.

i agree about the fingerprint sensor. having had the sg6 edge and the htc 10, the sensor definitely feels like it belongs on the back.

was waiting for the windows phone dig while reading your post. was not disappointed. :grin:

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Its what fits me :grin:. I gotta say Google Now might be less personal than Cortana, but she can hear me way way better than Cortana could. It's been fun playing with a different platform.

Outside of mightyText and pushbullet, what do you guys use to text via PC? Like, is there anything that's free? I hate to pay $4 a month to text from my PC, but it seems like that's the going rate to do so.

14. BiGGieStuFF

with MM but not N

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Anyone previously heard of or familiar with Lumigon?

They just released their T3 which looks decent for a mid-sized cell phone. It looks pricey given screen size/resolution, but most of its other features seem top notch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XwCHtJZlOpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://lumigon.com/products/t3/specs.html

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm really intrigued by the Galaxy S7 Active. The thickness/weight and "non-premium" look doesn't bother me, as I'd put a Galaxy S7 in a case to protect it anyway so that's a wash.

I like it because of physical buttons and the 4000 mAh battery. Too bad it's AT&T only. Anybody know much would it cost to unlock and use on T-Mobile?

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I may be in the market soon, not wanting to spend more than $450ish, though.

Excited to see the new Moto Z.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Well wait 6 months and it'll depreciate 40% and then buy it. You'll also find plenty of unlocked phones floating around then.

The S6 active goes for less than $300 now. I'd expect the S7 Active to do the same.

19. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Moto Z looks impressive

http://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-droid-edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oOL_nPYXtDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

no headphone jack tho, but will come with a 3.5mm to USB C adapter, guess they had to eliminate it to keep the thin frame

probably a good sign that the new iPhones are going to go through the route with the rumors past few months

20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I love that moto mod concept. It seems a lot more convenient than the G5 modular concept. I wonder how thick and heavy the slim phone be with the battery pack mod. 2500mah stock on teh slim model is terrible, but if you add the 2200mah from the battery pack, that's a really great 4700mah.