1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HouChron]Rockets' mediocrity sinking in with owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scv_rockets, Dec 15, 2007.

1. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5380862.html)

Rockets' mediocrity sinking in for owner
    Alexander looks for explanations why team's reality nothing like expectations

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The bold proclamations were gone, replaced by a "reality" Rockets owner Leslie Alexander was not in the mood to ignore.

A quarter of the season since he called this season's Rockets his most talented team since the championship years, Alexander on Friday said the Rockets are no better than their barely above .500 record.

Alexander has met with first-year Rockets coach Rick Adelman to get a better picture of how the Rockets will reach those lofty preseason expectations.

But when asked if he was confident the Rockets would get there, he said, "We'll see."

"Our record (12-11) indicates where we are," Alexander said Friday after announcing the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation would be the beneficiary of the annual Tux & Tennies event.

"There is a lot of room for improvement. We've had one of the hardest schedules in the league. That's the good thing. It's a new coach, new theories. We'll see what happens the rest of the year.

"I would say I would want to be much better than where we are, so therefore I'm not happy with what the results have been. But it's early, and we have played a tough schedule, so we'll see.

"I've talked to the coach. We've had our conversations. He's mentioned things to me and we've talked."

Alexander would not discuss what Adelman told him about the Rockets' problems and planned solutions, but said he asked, "Where we're headed and why, and why we're not better than we are.

"The coach had described to me why we aren't better ... and how we'll hopefully get there. We'll see."

'Not an elite team'
    Asked if he was confident, having spoken with Adelman, if the Rockets will "get there," Alexander paused and said, "Reality is, right now we're not an elite team. Our record indicates that. To get to be an elite team is very difficult when 30 (teams) are trying to do the same thing. That's reality right now."

The Rockets, 6-10 since their 6-1 start, are 14th in point differential heading into tonight's game against the Dallas Mavericks.

Though the Rockets remain one of the league's top defensive teams, ranking fourth in points allowed and sixth in opposing field-goal percentage, they are 22nd in scoring, 19th in field-goal percentage and 28th in 3-point percentage.

"I think we had a lot of goals coming into the season," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.

"The primary one was to be a team that would advance past the first round of the playoffs. We are not that sort of team right now. We wanted to improve offensively. And we wanted to keep our defense at the level it has been.

"Our defense is at that level. Our offense has gotten worse. So we're 1-of-3 on those three goals.

"We expected an adjustment period. It has taken a little longer than we expected. Going forward, we are confident we have the right coach and the right personnel to turn it around."

Road games no excuse
    Alexander also cited the adjustment period and the schedule as explanations, though he said that playing so many road games does not explain the Rockets' struggles. The Rockets are 6-8 on the road and have played the most road games in the NBA.

"It's been a job of (Adelman's) to change the way we've done things in the past," Alexander said. "Some of that has been ingrained into players. I think it takes time for change. It takes time for us to have the change we want.

"I think you got to look at wins and losses. Everything else is an excuse, especially since Tracy (McGrady) has always been a better player on the road than at home in terms of scoring."

If Morey remained "confident," Alexander said he was worried. But then, he always is.

"It's my 15th year owning an NBA team," Alexander said. "There is no such thing as shock anymore.

"I worry all the time. You can't not. If you want to win, you worry.

"I think we have the talent. I think the coaches can do it. I think it's going to take a lot of hard work and time, I guess."

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Les you should ask Yao Ming what is wrong and tell him you want him to be frank and truthful and that what he says will be in private.
    Then you will know the reality, Morey and Coach 'A' wiil only present excuses to you! :p

3. kwng

kwng Member

This is spot on. I also believed the starters especially our superstars are still "ingrained" with JVG style of play. I don't blamed them as JVG must have hammered those plays strictly all the time for several years. As a disciplinarian,
    he make sure his game plan and style stick to the players like a the back of their hand and this make them difficult to change.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The problem was not guys refused to change. The problem was they did change-- for the worse. Style was not the problem. It's an excuse. Effort and playing like a team-- on both end of the floor-- were the problems.

If JVG was "ingrained" in the team, then why didn't the see any effort or defense during the SAC game, the Philly game, the Toronto game?

Look at the defense. Adelman himself said he'd mostly kept the same principles and hope the team would play similarly well on D. Did they? No. Were the few minimal changes to blame? Hardly.

There are a few guys who are professionals, who came in ready to roll. If you want to know who they are, just look at who Adelman gave minutes to when he needed to scratch out a win against Detroit. The other guys didn't do their homework, didn't know defensive rotation, didn't hold up responsiblity to their teammates. These are the guys who have lost playing time. Until these guys wake up and start contributing, the guys who fought hard are not going to get enough helpl to become good enough.

5. blastaway

blastaway Member

I was listening to Calvin Murphy last week on 97.5 fm, man I really miss him as an announcer. But really, honestly, past all of his antics and loud suits, WHO IN THE ROCKETS ORGANIZATION KNOWS BASKETBALL BETTER THAN CALVIN?

Really, seriously, they need to consider hiring this man as a coach, in some capacity. He really should be a head coach, but he needs to at least be on the team to install, ATTITUDE, TEACH FREE THROWS, TEACH HEART, etc.

He really understands the game and the problems for the Rockets superstars and their teammates better than anyone else for the Rockets or on tv ever explain. It's a shame that as a Hall of Famer, he gets no respect and consideration for his knowledge. The guy is only 5'9 and played great among giants.

I would speculate that if Calvin was the Rockets coach all this season, that our record would be about 17-6 and that we would be running and gunning. They would be playing with much more heart and desire as well, or those who won't would be sitting on the bench; even if their name is Tmac.

Les should make a power move and put Calvin on the bench as an assistant to Adelman. But I think Les must hate Calvin or something already I'm afraid. :(

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

LOL! Thanks for the laugh!! :D

7. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Ya know what, for all the mediocrity we've seen out of the Rockets so far...this post is gonna be optimistic, cause we're only 2.5 games behind Dallas for 4th in the West. That's good news for the optimists and pessimists alike.

8. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Yup. Win tonight, and we're right back in the mix. Particularly with NOH, Mavs, and Jazz all playing up and down lately. ;)

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

If guys like Avery Johnson and Mike Woodson could get a shot, why not Calvin. I'll admit it's a reach but stranger things have happened.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Calvin was willing to work his way up the coaching ranks and prove himself like those guys did, then OK. But Calvin can't lead men and he knows it, which is why he didn't bother even trying. He has zero in common with Woody and AJ, who were both students of the game when they played.

11. mms

mms Member

They reality is YOU DONT SPEND ENOUGH.

12. dalman

dalman Member

This is what Rockets usually do: Lose to some dead last teams like 76ers and Memphis. Then raise your expectation with wins over Suns and Pistons. Then it will again disappoint you when you think they are on the right track.

13. dalman

dalman Member

Spending is important but not that crucial. We all know which team is spending the most money now.

14. mms

mms Member

Are we not in the WIN NOW mood? Get Kidd or Bibby, pay the damn tax, give us a championship. NYK is another story.

15. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Wow...when did Dallas ever became the benchmark for success in the NBA? Last time I checked, they bowed out of the playoffs faster than we did.

16. dalman

dalman Member

Do you think we really can get them even if we pay tax? What players we send back?

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

True but they were not near the player that Calvin was either, and that counts for something. A few years ago Reggie Theus was acting and now he's the coach of the Kings after a short stint at New Mexico. What this team needs is a leader with some passion, and if Calvin Murphy's not the dude the someone else with more passion should be.

18. A00man

A00man Member

It's easy to throw other people's money around. Millions of dollars isn't chump change to just say "pay the damn tax." :rolleyes:

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Calvin is that you??

20. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Wow, that's really taken out of context. It never ceases to amaze how people twist words.

I never said Dallas was the benchmark for success. All I was trying to imply is that we're 9th in the West at the moment...but only 2.5 games behind the 4th spot, regardless of whoever it is that occupies it.