1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor bars students from posing for Playboy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oomp, Apr 20, 2006.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

One small step for Baylor and one giant leap for Baptist-kind.

Texas college bars students from posing for Playboy

Apr 20, 8:36 AM (ET)

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - Baylor University in Waco, Texas, which bills itself as the world's largest Baptist college, has threatened to discipline female students if they pose for Playboy magazine, which is trying to recruit models from the college.

Playboy photographers came to Baylor's hometown seeking models for a photo spread on women of the Big 12 college athletic conference, of which the college is a member.

Baylor Vice President for Student Life Samuel W. Oliver sent an e-mail to women students this week warning that any who "associate" with Playboy would be subject to the university's disciplinary processes.

"Playboy is clearly antithetical to Baylor's mission and associating with the magazine would be a violation of the code of conduct," Oliver wrote in the e-mail. University officials said punishment could include suspension.

Baylor, known for its conservative outlook, did not allow dancing on campus until 10 years ago.

A spokesman for Playboy, known for its nude centerfold pictures, declined to comment on the e-mail.

The threatened punishment was met with a yawn by students on campus.

One woman, who professed no desire to pose for Playboy, said Baylor officials had "more important things to worry about" and wondered if male students would face similar punishment if they were seen reading an issue of Playboy featuring Baylor women.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Seems like this is a story every year.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Baylor sucks!

4. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Is dancing still allowed?

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

My brother's girlfriend gave up a full scholarship to Baylor after going there one year because it was so weird. You have to attend these Bible classes where they have monitors that go around making sure you are paying attention and they mark your name down if you're not, to discipline you later.

6. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

well, i know our good friend finalsbound must feel like she's missing a perfect opportunity!

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Like beatings and S&M stuff? Sounds exciting!

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that is funny...it would be funnier if it were true. you take old testament and new testament. they're taught like every other class. attendance was taken at virtually every class i had at baylor...except for my new testament class. they have a program called chapel forum that you take your freshman year. all sorts of programs are presented (christian and otherwise), and attendance is taken there. i usually read the sports page or studied for tests there.

the playboy thing was a story back when i was at baylor.

9. MR. MEOWGI

Well I definitely believe her. She is not the lying type.

10. MadMax

i'm certain you do.

i, on the other hand, can't stop lying. particularly about baylor.

11. MR. MEOWGI

I don't think she would make up the story. This was her Freshman year four years ago. Maybe things have changed some since you were there. She hated it so much she worked full time to put herself through UH instead.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When I was at UT was when they allowed parties on campus at Baylor.

13. MadMax

and there's still no place on campus to have a party. that's why it was such a non-event for baylor students. parties always happened off-campus. most people live right off campus. the parties were at the houses and apartment complexes around the area.

14. MadMax

i don't even know who we're talking about.

i went to baylor. i know people who are there now. the story i'm hearing does not fit with my own experience or the experience of others there.

15. MR. MEOWGI

I said it's my brother's girlfriend. She told me there were appointed monitors in the classes who went around and took notes of who was paying attention.

16. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

hello???

finalsbound???

can we please get some information regarding this dialogue between MadMax and MR. MEOWGI???

thanks...

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not criticizing baylor, its a baptist university in the bible belt. what do people expect? I'm just saying that was big news when I was in school.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The Centre, baby!!!

I'm still a little peeved at my parents for selling our condo there my junior year of high school. I was especially pissed when I heard stories of the parties thrown there from my ex's law school friends.

19. MadMax

no, i knew you weren't. i just thought it was funny. it was such a big deal in the media and such a non-event for people at baylor. i was a senior when that happened, and by then had attended umpteen fraternity/sorority parties or dances at baylor. just not on campus...which was no big deal, because there's really not a venue on campus you'd want to have a party at.

20. MadMax

i lived at the Centre my sophomore year. had a blast.

the next year i moved away...i moved to a quieter apartment and just went back to the Centre to hang with friends.