1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Basketball cards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Asian Sensation

So I was cleaning and re-organizing my closet and came across my huge collection of basketball cards which I collected when I was growing up. Back in the day until the age of 15 or so I'm 23 now I collected and looked at prices in the "Beckett" religiously. I know many others collected or still do today including football or baseball cards.

The question is how much are these cards worth today? I have quite an extensive collection of Jordan, Olajuwon, Bird, Barkley, Drexler etc cards do you guys think 20 years down the road from now that they will be worth more and will there or is there still a market for these cards? It seemed as though card shops were very profitable growing up now I never see any or becketts even around grocery stores.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Probably not a whole lot. The market was totally over loaded with crap and people just don't care anymore.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

basically anything made by Topps, Score or Fleer and most anything else from about 1987 to 1995 is worth dick.

And no it won't be "worth a lot of money someday"

The cards were excessively mass produced and will never be in short supply.

4. AXG

AXG Member

Check out the TUFF STUFF magazine. I know I have some old basketball cards that are worth $30-$50 or more. The "newer" cards don't have much value and don't gain much every year that passes by. Anything before the '90s is usually worth something, as well as some more rarer brands, such as Flair Showcase or Skybox Autographics.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If they are older cards they don't hold much value unless they are rookie cards and you get them graded. Right now the market is at a state that if they are not graded they will not give you any type of value without it.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

man i was doing some cleaning as well and about a month ago i found my cards.

i used to have a glenn robinson emotions card worth $60. i shouldve sold it back then....now its 2.25

and i also got a penny rookie card that i shouldnt have held onto..

7. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

I had a $220 Jordan Fleer Ultra Scoring Kings card. I should've gotten rid of those cards when I had the chance and they were hot, looking back it was just pieces of paper with statistics on the back, how pointless.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For what it matters the same thing happened with Starting Lineup sports figures. You are lucky if you get 25% of what they were worth 10yrs ago.

9. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

i wonder how much my autographed chilly pete is worth

10. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Hahaha....I thought that Webber was going to be the next great bball player. I have 56 Webber rookie cards. All different. I need to remember to take all of them with me next I go camping, kindling you know

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

No crap. Unless its 1988-1990 football, or ultra rare figures, nobody pays anything for these anymore.

I'm still hoping for a comeback on these a little bit. They have a card and figure, plus they weren't as terribly overproduced as general sports cards. Many figures only had a few thousand made and I tell myself, every year there are less and less in good condition out there as people open them up as the lose value or flat out just get rid of them.

I'll buy all the 1989 Veris and Fralics you have. :)

Also, as far as the cards go...there is alwasys some value to any Jordans. The best indication of price is to search for them on Ebay for finished auctions.

#11 Supermac34, Oct 12, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ya, I own at LEAST 70 of these figures mint in the package. My two prized MJ's are about 25-35 on ebay these days. Geez...

13. Pocket Rockets

I have about a 120 olajuwon cards, all different.....more of a sentimental value now...don't think i will get rid of them anytime soon.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have about 350 different that took me 5-6 years to build as a kid.

Even when I got rid of all my cards I kept them.

Its more just sentimental value anyway.

The gem of the collection is his Skybox Autographics Card.

15. Pocket Rockets

ill trade u 2 of his 2nd yr cards for a rookie card?
    ;)

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

They are worth whatever they sell for on ebay. Why even bother looking at the Beckett prices?

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I had a friend who lost his limited edition Lebron James Rookie card that was supposively worth $1000. I really can't see why.