1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think of Posey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nikos, May 17, 2004.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

I think this guy sort of went under the radar this season, atleast at first. He has had a very nice year. Especially if you compare it to previous seasons.

Question is why is Posey so much more efficient as a scorer and effective as an overall player. He showed talent and athleticism in previous years, but why was he able to do so much better for Memphis than he did hear in Houston?

Was he more suited to the somewhat uptempo Memphis Pace of ball, combined with his improved shooting?

What exactly is up with Posey, or better yet what was up with him last year they kept him from having a better season?

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Memphis doesnt have a definite star, the Rockets have almost 3. Posey was nice for us last year and even improved his 3 point shooting towards the end of the year. But he just simply asked too much money. We payed JJ half of what he asked for and half the years he asked for. Would be nice if we did keep him, but just wasnt meant to be. We took a risk in trading him for KT, but it happens.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What was wrong with the season he had here? He's still developing, and a nice ballplayer. I was sorry Grizz made him that offer -- and Rox didn't match. Not knocking JJax.

4. Nikos

Nikos Member

He was solid in Houston but he scored MUCH more efficiently this season, last year I think he scored like 1.03points per shot attempt (factoring FTs) to about 1.20PSA this year. Keep in mind the average for a SF is less than 1.10 and the best SF's aren't even that efficient with 16-17pts with the exception of Peja who is just as efficient with his 22+ppg.

Most people who score around 13ppg however weren't as efficient as posey, not to mention his defense etc....

He was all around again this season, but most more efficient as a scorer/shooter -- question is why? Change in setting combined with improved shot? Usually the improvements arent so sudden and drastic, considering he did have Yao and other solid teamattes who could probably give him more open looks (yes I know grizz have gasol and francis isnt a true PG etc....).

But was it more change of setting or more his TRUE improvement as a talent and shooter?

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

the thing is Posey worth more to Grizz than to us. He fits their running game, but not so well in our half court game. For evidence, just look at how they got swept by Spurs. Spurs forced half court games, and Posey became huge liability. JVG forces half court games night in and night out. Can you imagine how bad a fit it would be to have Posey in this system?

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I agree, Posey is the same draft class as SF. He played great D, his 3-Point shot was getting better, and he hustled.

I really thought he was a nice fit with our team, but its all about the $$. I'm suprised the Grizz offered him a such a big deal.

7. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Good points. Posey is incredibly athletic and with his long frame he loves to get up and down the floor. It would have been agonizing to watch him in JVG's offense--would have been such a waste of athleticism. For the money and the fit, Jackson is better for Houston than Posey would have been.