1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Diaspora Fallen on Hard Times So Far This Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given the turnover in roster, some of us have been keeping an eye on the former Rockets rotation guys from the last couple of years who went elsewhere in the league. It seems that a unusually high number of them are not doing so hot. Of course, it's not like these guys were superstars, but they were starters or significant part of some slightly over .500 teams and it seems many of them tend to do worse than they were with Houston. For example:

1. Dragic and Scola are on the 7-11 Suns (13th place in the West). Scola lost his starting job several games back. They also had some recent bad losses (particularly the 40-pt loss to the Pistons).

2. Marcus Camby hasn't gotten any meaningful minutes for the Knicks.

3. Sam Dalembert only averages 17 mpg, and just got a DNP-CD for the Bucks.

4. Kyle Lowry's team is 4-13 (14th in the East) and he's had injury issues after a great first few games.

5. Chuck Hayes and Aaron Brooks are stuck on the 4-12 (15th place in the West) Kings.

6. Jordan "Bad Rookie" Hill is re-united with Mike D'Antoni and just got a DNP-CD.

7. Courtney Lee is doing OK, but can't find his 3pt shot.

8. Even momentary Rocket Pau Gasol and could-have-been Rocket Nene are suffering.

Kevin Martin is just about the only one doing well (unless you count guys who were gone from multiple years ago, Battier and Landry). Fellow Dust Bowl exile Hasheem Thabeet is doing better than he was (which is not saying much, really).

So... the curse of Daryl Morey?

1 person likes this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Budinger is injured atm but he'll probably do well in Minnesota

3. Grigori

Grigori Member

Battier is like "My championship ring pisses all over your curse."

4. arjun

arjun Member

good thing they are all ex rockets lol

5. arjun

arjun Member

you forgot that tmac and terrence williams are over in china

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

Battier, got a ring.

7. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Don't forget Yao ;)

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It would appear that Kevin McHale is in fact a genius coach who helped these players overachieve, and now that they no longer play under his system they have fallen back to earth.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's a sign that Morey is doing his job.

I still like a lot of thsoe guys, though.

10. senter

senter Member

but what I really want to know is how Yao Ming is doing

11. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Just because you are on a team that sucks doesn't mean you aren't doing well. Dragic and Lowry are doing quite well actually.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Rockets' situation being described as a Diaspora is so perfect. I love you, Carl.

13. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

I hated last year's rockets team. I had the option of watching spurs basketball fortunately.

14. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Really good post, Amigo.

I think Budinger only solidifies the posters case.

And I think Battier is exempt because he wasn't directly traded to Miami. He went to Memphis first and signed as a free agent. Didn't that eventually get us Donatas while shedding Brad Miller?

I guess that would exempt Brooks too in his Sac. stint, but he wasn't good for the suns either. The Suns regretted that decision sooo much they gave Dragic a 4th year.

Even in Martin's case, for the first time in his career, he's been demoted at his job. Less minutes, coming off the bench. ( I get it's OKC)

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Carl Landry is doing his thing.

You forgot how awesome Ariza is too. So I will say it, Ariza is awesome and I hope he retires a Rocket.

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Oh yea, I completely forgot about Jordan Hill and D'Antoni issues, to bad for Jordan Hill.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

scott brooks is doin okay..

18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Rudy Gay, doing his thing.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Uh, did you just forget all about Linsanity in New York after Morey cut Lin?

20. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

I sort of did the same analysis a couple days ago. Really a lazy man's back of envelope type of thing. Never thought to look at how the former Rocket's new team is doing. Not much to learn there probably.

I just kind of took it by position. First that came to mind was the 2 spot. Thought I knew the answer. The 5, who cares about the numbers. I liked our two old guys, but we have the younger version in a way. Some presence in the middle, rebounds but few points. This year's Chandler is marginally better.

So I really only did research the one and the four. Patterson came out marginally better than Scola with Drajic marginally better than Lin. So we were a 500 team and are still a 500 team but now are the youngest in the league.

We need another player. Go Rockets.