1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets eliminated Dwight postups from the playbook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, May 19, 2015.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

I thought one of the more underrated developments in Game 7 was I didn't recall seeing a single Dwight Howard postup in the entire game.

Dwight's role on offense was primarily setting screens, moving the ball on the perimeter, finishing plays at the rim, and grabbing offensive rebounds.

This is clearly the right course of action, as it's been well documented that not only are Dwight postups a really inefficient offensive play (Synergy stats back this up) -- it causes the offense to get sticky since opponents weren't double-teaming him (no need to if you have a big guy like DeAndre Jordan).

Kudos to Morey and the coaching staff for acknowledging this, and kudos to Dwight for at least appearing to accept his new role.

It's no surprise that the Rockets' offensive efficiency and turnovers has improved drastically after this decision was made. In fact, I'll say this was the most important adjustment McHale has made on offense this postseason.

Looking ahead to the Warriors series, Howard was absolutely awful offensively against Bogut in the regular season, missing shots and turning the ball over as usual. It's in the Rockets' best interest that they once again keep the Dwight postup away from the playbook.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

He did have post ups though, didn't he? Granted, not as often as previous games, but I remember he dished it out a few times while in the post. Didn't really take it to the rim himself.

I might be wrong. I just remember him posting up and dishing out for the Prigs 3.

3. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Bogut is a good post defender. Need to attack him on pnr and make him guard above the rim.

4. arubato

arubato Member

We shouldn't abandon the Dwight postup ENTIRELY. Dwight can still have his post ups when the match up is favorable. But I agree that we get away from it when Bogut is in there (maybe exception can be made when Bogut is in foul trouble).

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

What kills me is we never get the ball to Dwight easily when he has good position in the paint. We always post him up way outside the paint.

6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Dwight still had a few post-ups but not as often. The offense definitely shouldn't run through him when Harden is on the court. I think he gets the occasional post-up when Harden is on the bench. The point is, you have to take what the defense gives you. If you're being single covered in the paint but a guy you know you can take to the rim, give the ball to the big man and let him do work. I think Dwight can take on Bogut if it's a isolation play, but we should definitely make the ball go around first before getting it to him.

7. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

This is true. I recall earlier this season a few times when Big Papa would find Howard deep in the paint for an easy post up; no dribbling, just one quick move to the basket for an easy two. I thought we might see more of that with Prigs playing PG, but its been more alley-oops than post-ups... not that I'm complaining ;)

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

And Bogut would flop a lot to try to draw the charge on Dwight, so that adds another risk on post-ups vs the Warriors.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

those bounce passes gotta go

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The only time Dwight should post up is when he can get a really deep catch. He's got to get the ball literally on the block or preferably deeper. Even then, it should just be a change of pace, not any kind of focal point.

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

DH did not force it during this series unlike the regular season. If he had position down deep he usually made a move, if he was too far out he waited for the dbl team to kick out the ball. Someone has been listening to the Dream.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bogut is a very good post defender, but Dwight is moving quite well now. I wonder if he can beat him facing the basket like he did Robin Lopez in last year's playoffs.

The fact is Dwight will never have a good back-to-the-basket post game. His footwork just isn't good enough and he doesn't have enough touch to finish consistently.

The only time it works well is when he gets the ball in "point blank" position. Problem is the Rockets aren't good at feeding him when a small window is open.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

There wasn't any post ups because Jordan is one of the few guys that are bigger than Dwight and almost as agile. Dwight usually used his quickness against players but could not against Jordan.

Bogut doesnt have the wheels but the size - expect some more post ups in the GS series but they will be more quick type moves - baseline spins, inside pivot jab steps etc

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We score 28% of the time when we post up D12. Sorry, but the stats don't lie. No post ups for D12 unless it's early in the game and we're trying to get some quick fouls on Bogut.

We already know what he is going to do.

Move 1, 1A, 1B or worst:
    1. Bang, bang, bang, spin right jump hook,
    1A. Face up, fake left go right and shoot hook shot
    1B. Bang, bang, bang, spin left jump hook
    Worst: Get fouled and make 43% of FT attempts.

So no thank you to the D12 post ups, if James must play D, then he must give up post ups

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Dwight still got a few post touches but it was against Spencer Hawes and not Jordan. Bogut is a good defender, but he's also a master of cheap shots when the refs aren't looking. Honestly, that's my biggest concern with Dwight - that he is going to get caught retaliating for the constant Bogut pushes, arm jabs, and other cheap shots, etc. Seriously it's like an every game thing - I don't know how Bogut consistently gets away with it but the refs somehow are always looking the other way.

16. seeingred

seeingred Member

Dwight post ups used to depress the hell out of me. How we could twist and battle and spin and always get within 2 feet of the rim... only to see the ball clank off. Short, long, left, right - he beat the paint off that rim. Glad to see that play removed unless he has an obvious mismatch.

17. basketballholic

For Dwight's post-ups to be effective we have to have true floor-spreading shooters around him. We simply don't have that. Therefore the D can react and help on Dwight down low and make those possessions inefficient. We have no choice but to play without post-ups for that reason.

18. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I agree, and that favorable match-up would be when Bogut is on the bench.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Great thread. The post ups in the Clippers series" particularly late in series, were few and often looked like they were designed to be kick outs, not really to score.

The risk isn't so much the low conversion rate, but rather how often Dwight turns the ball over. That's death against GWS and we can't do that route.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Didn't he have Griffin on him that possession? I think DeAndre was switched off of him and was actually stuck on Pepperoni.

Dwight absolutely should post up if he has a smaller defender on him like Green.