1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Games] The Fight to Preserve Dead Video Games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, May 9, 2015.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I thought this was an interesting video:
    http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-the-fight-to-preserve-dead-video-games/2300-6424754/

...which reminded me very much of the conversation that went on in this thread from back when XB1 was still planning to go all-digital.

I've generally considered myself to be in a very small minority in that really I care about whether I can still reliably play a game I buy today, 20 years from now. I wonder (perhaps hope?) that it's a slightly larger minority than I originally thought, when you look at the general dismay over the XB1's original server check-in system or Sony taking PT off of Playstation Network.

As the video points out, it's pretty sad that the only preservation of many old games that occurred was solely the doing of pirates. As we seem to be moving into an age where an increasing number of titles have integrated online features, microtransactions, and a general "sell you half the game and sell the rest as DLC" attitude, I wonder to myself how many issues a person might encounter when they try to play those titles much later.

Here's hoping physical media sticks around for a long time to prevent these problems... or maybe that GOG keeps becoming a bigger thing. Or both. :)

2. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

It's a weird and complicated issue. You can understand game developers wanting to protect their IPs, but there has to be a line somewhere. For instance, very few games more than 30 years old still have any legs; I don't see the harm to anyone in people emulating them. Also, take the case mentioned in the video of EA shutting down the NBA2K14 servers: the intent is obviously to force people to pay for a new game, but really, what gives them the right to keep people from hosting their own servers with their own money?

Then of course there is the simple fact that these "pirates" simply aren't actually legally harassed very often, although it's not always clear whether that's because the developers don't mind, or because there's just too much of this going on for them to stop. Even in the case of Streets of Rage Remake--the developers of which received a cease and desist for copyright violation shortly after release in April 2011--is now back online for anyone to download, and has been for years. Surely Sega is aware of this. Why isn't Sega still going after them? I have no idea.

In any case, we can hold out hope that the law will eventually swing around to the rights of the consumer on this issue, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Pro-industry lawyers would likely argue that the very fact that someone cared enough to preserve any given game proves its potential commercial value, and that's not an easy argument to refute in legal terms, however specious you think it may be. But perhaps even more to the point, Congress has already proven time and again that they're more interested in protecting the revenue of large corporations than in creating sensible boundaries for intellectual property rights.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

It's striking to me that even big-name games often become inaccessible or lose important content in short order.

Mass Effect 1 for PC, for instance.

I got a new computer about a year ago. I'd been meaning to go through Mass Effect again, so I re-installed it. As it turns out, there is no longer any way to legitimately acquire the Pinnacle Station DLC. In the transition to Origin, EA just didn't see fit to bother to keep distributing it.

Is it possible to still get it? Well... yes. But only through piracy. If it weren't for pirates, there'd be no way to get the complete PC version of a game from the recent past that a lot of people really loved.

Similarly, roughly two-thirds of the content of Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii could only be accessed after logging into a server. In concept, there is quite literally no reason that content couldn't be made single-player accessible.

Did Capcom bother? Nah. They wanted you to buy their newest edition. So even though it was one of the most-played games on the Wii's network ever (and in fact, THE best-selling 3rd-party title on the Wii in Japan), the servers were shut off after a paltry 3 years. The game is now a glorified demo disc.

These were major, major titles by any standard, and important chunks of them were already gone forever inside a decade. I only wish publishers would show a little more respect to their products and to their customers.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I remember when games first started coming out annually, and thinking, nobody is going to buy it each year, not me, no way, and there I was, buying those EA games every year for what often amounted to just seeing the new names.

5. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Depends if you consider video games art or just a commercial product?

Obviously publishers think the latter, and the developers sold their rights to treat them like the former.

Personally, I don't have time to go back and play older games. However, when buying, I rather have control over that decision which is why I refuse to use steam, and buy on GoG.

Also, I'm pretty anti DLC, although I understand the business side of it.
    I still think the complete experience should be in the original game.

The existence of the Silmarillion doesn't make LoTR less of a complete work.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We generally leak the source code after a time if there are still people playing it.

DD

7. torocan

torocan Member

I'm just thankful places like abandonware sites and GOG exist.

GOG is especially nice as it allows old games to be preserved while the publishers can still make a buck here and there.

While the bells and whistles aren't as shiny, great game design is still great game design.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Smaller devs might do this but I doubt devs backed by large publishers will ever do something like this.