1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game 2 Adjustments?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HorryForThree, Apr 19, 2015.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Dallas will take care of the ball better in the second game. They gave us a lot of free points.

2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Why do fans say things like this? That's about as founded as saying "Dallas will play better and make more shots in the second game..."

How about giving the Rockets defense credit causing turnovers and creating fast break opportunities? Something the Rockets have been doing all season long.

So if the Mavericks "take care of the ball better" and NOT "give away free points", does that mean the Rockets will remain the same in their play? Rockets couldn't play better and create more opportunities as well?

David

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Dallas committed more turnovers than they usually do, and more than the Rockets normally force. It is likely that they will commit fewer turnovers in the next game.

Did some more research. In the season series, Dallas averaged 17.5 TO's vs Houston. So there could be a trend there.

#83 WinkFan, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Please run PnR with Dirk's man all night long, also having Dirk switch onto James is even better. This will tire Dirk out having to play D and hopefully stop him from going off offesively.

We must make their best offensive players (Monta and Dirk) play defense all night long.

5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I agree that he played well, much better than I expected. Where he really surprised me was hitting his long jump shots and three pointers which has been a known weakness of his.

Here are the main reasons I think he gets benched despite playing decent:

- Yes, he hit shots, but overall finished 7-16 and the offense is noticeably less cohesive with him in the lineup

- In 27 minutes, he was a team high -25 in the +/- column. Chandler and Parsons were next closest with -18 and 16, respectively.

- Barea was 6-9 shooting, and is regularly a good shooter. The offense played well with him in. He's a strong defender and one of those players that brings a spark to the team when he's on the floor as a hustle guy. Mavs were a team high +12 with him in the game.

Rondo is averaging a career low 9 points per game this season, and has been in multiple heated arguments with Carlisle, getting suspended once this season over it. It is no secret that the two dont get along, and I suspect the Mavs will look to trade him in the offseason.

Rondo may start the game, but I'd look for Carlisle to have a quick hook if he struggles or the team gets down early.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Force Monta to shoot under 40%; when he does that, the Mavs are 9-19

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Mchale straight up outcoached Rick Carlisle in game 1.

Game 2, he needs to stay ahead with his adjustments. But I'm not truly sure how much they can really do. If they stop bringing an extra help defender to stop Harden, it's going to be a layup drill. If they do bring them like in game 1 it's going to result in alley oops/open 3's/ offensive rebounds.

Dirk for as much of his offensive talent is hurting them tremendously.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think we are going to see a classic Dirk effort tonight. I think he's going to come out super aggressive, and the Rockets really need to be ready for alot of Monta/Dirk high pick and pop.

Too often last game the Rockets were switching way too early on that P&R and Terry/Prigioni were almost exclusively guarding Dirk. That can't happen again. Dallas didn't take advantage of that matchup last game so they can't expect them to not notice it again and to have a super aggressive Dirk try to take over.

Should be a very interesting game from a coaches perspective. McHale is either going to be the sacrificial lamb, or he's going to prove alot of doubters wrong. Carlisle is going to throw out all the stops because game 2 is a must win to these teams. If the Mavs lose its going to be nearly impossible to comeback in the series. If the Rockets lose at home then the Mavs will have a ton of momentum going back home, and could put the Rockets on their backs.