1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assessing Warriors' Big Four

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Jul 6, 2016.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

A lot of people are saying that the Warriors have this awesome Big Four of Curry, Durant, Thompson and Green. And for sure it is an awesome core. But it isn't really a true Big Four in the sense of four HoF types like we had with past powerhouses like the Lakers, Celtics, etc. Its not even on the level of What's Big Three with three HoFers in James, Wade and Bosh.

Now Curry and Durant are clearly a Big Two and HoFers for sure. But right now Thompson and Green aren't quite HoF level players yet and may never be.

Thompson is more or less Peja Stojakovic. That's not meant to be a put down. And Green is basically a Charles Oakley/Kenyon Martin level player.

So really what you have are two HoFers and two great role players. The Warriors are a great team but I think people are overstating that they have this"Big Four".

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Warriors have 4 of the Top 20 players in the NBA

That's a Big 4

3. SunsRocketsfan

Warriors had the BEST record in NBA HISTORY! and just added another top 3 player (Lebron, Durant, Curry).

They have 2 of the top 3 players and 2 other in the top 20 as someone mentioned. Seems like they have a big 4 along with savvy experiences veterans that will join them for pennies now.

League is stupid now.. barring any injuries no reason to compete anymore.

1 person likes this.
  4. AFS

AFS Member

Bosh was not a HoF player until AFTER they won a couple of championships. Before that, he was just an All-Star PF who could put up numbers on a bad team. Put Klay Thompson on a bad team and he'll average high numbers as well.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You could make a fair argument that Draymond Green was the most important player on the Warriors last season.

During the regular season the guy was 14ppg 9.5rpg and 7.4apg (with a lazy 1.5spg and 1.4bpg thrown in)

However you want to spin your dislike for the guy, those are pretty freakish numbers.
    Then he went to 15-10-6 in the playoffs (1.6spg 1.8bpg)

I agree that he doesn't qualify for the HoF on one season, but if he continues those numbers over his career, hard NOT to see him as a hall of famer?
    I'd suggest the same for Klay - here is a 22ppg scorer on amazing %s, who we overlook a little bit because his backcourt team mate overshadows him somewhat.

5 more seasons of 20+ppg on 40%+ from downtown.... beats Reggie Millers numbers rather comfortably doesn't it?

6. what

what Member

My big question is how does this move affect their defense?

Their offense was always #1 in the league (as flawed as it was) due to relying on too many 3 point shot attempts. If they can still be a top 5 defense then they won't be beat, but I have serious doubts that they can be a top 5 defense without bogut.

The old adage does (and it is true) that defense wins championships.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They are a big 4. You are just thinking mostly in terms of numbers. And players that come together on one team after being the focal point for several years of their own team.

Thompson was 12th in ppg. And 10th in total points scored as a 2nd option. If he were the number one guy on his team his %'s would suffer some, but he would probably be the #3-6 scorer in the league.

And Draymond being a Charles Oakley player... I don't know. He can defend many different types of players, but he can also be 7th in the league in assists. Also hit 3 pointers at right at 40%.

There is a reason they beat the Bulls record. And it's not just because Curry is a great HOF player. I'll leave this crazy video for good measure.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5nyBpt9tRsg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

They are going to be great , but have a weakness or two that they did not have last season . They are probably going to shallower , and a bit older and therefore more prone to injury . If durant or curry goes out , they might be more beatable this year than they were last . Also even though there aren't any great big men in the league that score in the post . Bigger and stronger teams could give them more problems.

9. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Big 5.
    Iguodola is pretty good you know.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If durant plays off the ball as well as he did the seasons before this last one hard to see them losing much...but I don't think that will happen. We will see choker durant fold under the pressure of having to deliver.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

All star, gold medal. Only player on the team with a Finals MVP. Not too shabby.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

More or less ... if Peja was an even better shooter and, oh yeah, an elite defender.

13. conquistador#11

"you warriors are good."

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Big 7. West and Zaza are just underused.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You are wrong. Their big four will all be hall of famers if they sustain their current level of play.

16. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

Flawed isn't that what Morey and and Pringles trying to do with us.

#17 CONAN 888, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2019
  17. photojoe

photojoe Member

Big 11.

Might as well include Livingston in it too. And Steve Kerr, their coach. And Joe Lacob, their owner. And Oracle Arena.

1 person likes this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, Green and Thompson were really impressive during the 73 wins.. I think missing Bogut/Barnes (at least in regular season) could hurt them, but they just need to be ready for playoffs. As we've all said/witnessed regular season doesn't mean ****. Just make the playoffs healthy and ready.

I think if they do that their big 4 is going to be set for Finals. It'll be interesting how well the egos hold but they've been good so far. I'm just not a Warriors fan... Soooo hopefully some other team figures them out

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They are a BIG BIG four. Like never seen before. Not only are the 4 of them all stars currently but they are also all very much in their prime. On paper this is the most dangerous big 4 ever assembled. I'd say they are 4 of the best 15 players in the league and their big 4 IMO are top 3 at their respective positions today.

Add in a premier defensive player, a former all star and finals MVP in Igoudala and they become even more dangerous. Of course right now all hypothetical.

The last team to have 4 all stars at the same time were the Hawks of a few years back with Teague, Korver, Millsap and Horford but we all know the best player out of this bunch is signifcantly worse than the worst player of the GSW big 4.

They already have 2 locks for HOF in Durant and Curry and I can see Klay and Dray joining them. Iggy is a long shot but a few more titles and aanother finals MVP and he could be a HOF too.

So yeah all this is unprecedented.

20. Coolaid

Coolaid Member

So much of their success last season happened while taking some terrible shots that they made a good percentage of. You have to think at some point those bad shots will stop going in and they'll take a step back . Even a little step back can open the door for a team to surprise them in the playoffs.