1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An interesting stat: Nestel Crunch Time Stat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lhphpl, Mar 9, 2005.

1. lhphpl

lhphpl Contributing Member

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know, but from looking at those rankings who would you rather give the ball to in crunch time :

Lebron James, Ray Allen, Michael Redd, or Tracy McGrady

OR

Chucky Atkins or Udonis Haslem.

Hmm... tough choice.

3. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Only reason these guys are up there is because their stars draw the double and triple teams and they kick it out to these losers who are wide open. Therefore i think assists should count for double or triple.

4. fa7999

fa7999 Member

LOL. 4 Heat starters are in the top 10, yet Shark's name is nowhere found.;)

5. lyu03

lyu03 Member

Shaq won't get the ball. He cannot shoot FTs.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Actually that is not unusual because of Shaq free throw shortcomings.

In terms of crunch time "clutchness" Shaq will not rank high because of the hack-a-shaq coupled with Shaq's brick-laying nature. Simply put, it is not ridiculous that Shaq is not in the top 10 because he does not deserve to be.

That is where Shaq suffers in terms of all time greats especially among big men. When the game is close and late, only a foolish coach keeps Shaq in there to turn the ball over at the free throw line.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Not trusted during crunch time? Overexaggerate much? Yao gets less touches than T-Mac down the stretch, but it's not by that big a margin. And it's not really a surprise that Yao makes this list. This crunch time stat is merely the NBA's Efficiency Stat + 4 pts for a win. Yao is already top 10 in Efficiency per 48, and since Yao will play most of the crunch time minutes if he doesn't foul out, then it makes sense that he's within the league leaders.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I think the definition of "crunch time" is open for debate. Most of the time, these analysis are just referring to the last 2 minutes of a game regardless of how close the score is.

And with 1:30 left on the clock, Yao often nails his shots.

To me, crunch time usually means a 1 possession game with 30 seconds left. But there are exceptions to my rule because there are times of a game that determine the outcome. Its players that hit those shots that are huge. Its hard to define but you know it when you see it.

Yao makes big plays during the final push that are pivitol but somehow they usually fall short of "crunch time" for me. After the SA game, TMac is my "crunch time" guy. As a spot up shooter, however, I'd give it to Padgett, Barry or even Sura as they all seem to have ice in their veins and WANT to take that shot. I haven't seen Mike James enough but I'd bet he's ice too.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Sweet dreams you can't resist,
    N-E-S-T-L-E-S.
    Nestles makes the very best,
    N-E-S-T-L-E-S.
    Creamy whites, dreamy whites
    NESTLES makes the very best,
    N-E-S-T-L-E-S.
    Sweet dreams, you ca-a-a-n't resist...

10. rvpals

rvpals Member

If you're talking about game winner, Yao did not have a lot of those. If you talked about in the 4th quarter, especially in close game, Yao usually steps it up and make big shots.

Yao is clutch most of the time.

Game winner I can think of is:
    - Yao drawing a foul and hit 2 free throws calmly to edge the lakers by one.
    - Francis made a great pass inside to Yao, Yao hits it between 4 defenders inside and one more on the line. It's also the 1st time Yao beat Mavs

Other clutch plays by Yao right off the top of my head:
    - Rockets getting killed by Spur in that TMac miracle game in the 4th quarter, Yao hitting couple of shots, then follow a critical late game missed by (probably Howard or TMac), and dunks it home. Then grabbing a huge rebound and Then TMac took over
    - Yao single handedly get a win against Atlanta last season with his career high 41 points, triple over time, Yao just kept fighting

Many late game free throws made by Yao help iced the games.

I'm sure there's a lot more

11. Man

Man Contributing Member

Yeah Yao is pretty clutch. imo.

And Tmac definitely.

Lebron..I'm not sure.

Ray Allen definitely..Michael Redd don't know.

MOOCHIE OF COURSE!

AND ROCKETS ARE CLUTCH!

Hmm what teams are more clutch than the Rockets?

12. krosfyah

I would agree with your assessment. Yao often hits big shots when we need them...down the stretch. But with the game on the line with time running off the clock, I don't trust Yao just yet. He's too turnover prone. Whether its an offensive foul or trying to dribble, he succumbs to being pressured too much for me.

TMac basically will get a good look 90% of the time with time running off the clock. He may not hit it but he gets a good look.

When Yao gets the ball, I get nervous but when he makes it I'm extatic. However, when Tmac gets it I almost take it for granted that he will score.

13. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

LOL at all the Nestle ads at the bottom of this page!

But Nestle is good chocolate, so what the heck, I'll click...

14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Guys- look a little closer at the stats:

In the last two minutes of games, Yao is 19 for 25 from the field! That's ridiculous! He doesn't miss! 0.76 from the field!

Of all 15 players, only two others are above 50%- Redd is 35 of 60 and Amare is 21 of 27 (likely dunks.) None of the others even approach 50%, surprisingly.

Other noteworthy bits:

Wayde leads the entire pack in blocks with 8! (???)

Wayde also leads the pack in turnovers at 12, whereas Ray Allen has zero! Man, Allen has never turned the ball over in the last 2 minutes of any game!

Nowitski is 40 of 43 from the line but 21 of 48 from the field.

Garnett leads the pack with 53 rebs. The next down is Nowitski with 35. Yao is after him at 33.

15. choujie

choujie Member

I'd like to see the rank if win lose points is not that much. For example, player A scored a baskect 3 seconds left, his team leads by one, then player B scored also at the buzzer and player B's team won. I would consider player A and player B almost equally clutch, but in this formular there is 4 point difference. That's why Miami has 4 players on the list, they must have won a lot close games.

1 point bonus for the winning team is fine, 4 point bonus seems a bit too much.

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Ok, so if only Yao can hold on to the ball, it's almost 2 points guaranteed.

Hold on to the damn ball YAO!!!!!! ;)

17. krosfyah

Yup, offensive fouls don't count as shot attempts either. Did they include turnovers in their stats too?

You're the man, Yao. Keep improving on your reducing turnovers and you'll be a beast.