1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets Twin Towers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Oct 10, 2013.

?

Will the twin tower combo of Dwight Howard and Omer Asik work?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Dwight and Omer on the floor together, will it really work in today's NBA?

Positives
    - Superior paint protection
    - Excellent post and weakside defense/help
    - Rebounding domination

Negatives
    - Poor to no spacing on offense
    - Either Dwight or Omer would have to defend the perimeter vs stretch 4's
    - Bad free throw shooting

I personally think it won't work since neither can hit mid range jumpers but am sure hoping i'm wrong. It is a good problem to have, to be perfectly honest.

So what do ya'll Rockets fans think?

2. keldraco

keldraco Member

depend on situation.

3. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Yeah, I believe Asik and Howard will do well together. They will make Rockets a dangerous team and gives opponent nightmare every game. I hope Asik stays, I really do. I am glad to hear that Rockets will do everything to make it work.

Lets go Rockets

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Define work. If the offense is around league average when they're together, then to me it doesn't work, as I would only be satisfied with a championship. Even if it's better than most options, to me, if it's not good enough to beat the Heat, Thunder, etc., then it's not good enough for me. I want a team, including offensively efficient, that's good enough to beat the other great teams in the league.

5. lfw

lfw Rookie

I think this line up will work if the big men are willing to run and score on transition. With their elite defense and rebounding, there will be many opportunities to run and score easy baskets. That should more than make up for the lower offensive efficiency on the half court offense due to the spacing issues.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Morey said no then yes. So naturally I said no then yes.

7. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

The only answer that works for me right now is "Maybe" . . . (even though I'd really like it to work).

8. strifed169

strifed169 Member

I would say yes, Harden/Parsons/Lin and now Dwight, thats enough offensive firepower to make up for the lack of a perfect 4, putting Asik there is just perfect when you think about it.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Don't you think teams would just clog the paint which takes away Harden and Lin's strengths in penetrating to the basket since Asik won't be a threat outside of 3-5 feet? Where would you position Omer on offense to create enough space for Howard to dominate at the post?

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wouldn't mind a power forward with better offensive skills, we know that Dwight can board and play D

11. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

this is the biggest issue. it pretty much takes the drive away from Harden/Lin (their strongest points)

12. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

My heart says yes, my mind says no. :(

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

On the other post, of course, for crashing the offensive glass or diving to the basket if they double off of him. Having Omer is a plus for the Dwight postup.

He maybe a minus for the dribble penetration, because of spacing, as you say. However, somebody here brought up a good point that there may be was to use him for off-ball screens to free a shooter, or in some more sophisticated staggered PnRs... We'll see.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have been down on this idea the whole when truthfully i hope it works. I just have my doubts.