1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Looks like the Tigers signed Jordan Zimmerman. Should be interesting to see the numbers on this deal. Predictions are 6 years for $125M.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Very Expensive!

3. Nook

Nook Member

Well he is 25 years old and under team control for four more years. He has a career era of slightly over 3.00.... He would be a very expensive trade piece. He would require multiple of the Astros top prospects.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5/110 -- $22M

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Miller's ERA has been great, but his peripherals have only been decent.(High 3 FIP, xFIP around 4) Combine that with the move to the AL.

Not that I think he won't still be a good pitcher, but I'm not sure he would be good enough to warrant what is likely to be an extremely steep prospect cost. Like every other move we've discussed, it's all about just how steep that price would be.

6. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

If Zimmerman got that much, thinking Kazmir might get 4 years for $70M

7. Nook

Nook Member

Still think there is a real possibility Jonny Cueto is an Astro next season.

Other options like Pfister are possible as a reclamation project.

I really think we are going to wait and see who is left standing after the huge money is spent.

The Zimmerman deal didn't do Cueto any favors when it comes to maximizing funds.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

DBacks offered Cueto 6/120.

He didn't sign yet... but that's the offer you're going to have to beat.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=531438383&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Seems a little low for what Cueto should expect. The years are risky. Based on Luhnow's budget around 100 million, I suspect Astros going after either Wei-Yen Chen or Kazmir if Astros go after a starter. These guys should offer fewer years and almost as much value short term.

I'm not a fan of 2/3's of the OF being in the last year of their contracts. I would like the Astros to pick up an OF that could also be a DH if Astros don't go for a starter in FA. This would make it easier for Astros to open up Marisnick, Tucker, or even Gomez for a trade for a closer.

#790 Joe Joe, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Kazmir could be an interesting case. His nuclear meltdowns in the last 2 seasons started at almost the exact same time. Before the meltdowns he gave 21 starts with dominant numbers.

If you started him later in the season, maybe he's going strong through the pennant chase and into the playoffs. How much value would there be in playing 2/3 of a season, but doing so at an extremely high level versus a guy who could give you 30 starts of lesser numbers. A team like the Astros with pretty solid pitching depth would have no trouble covering for those 10 starts he misses.

There is of course no guarantee that starting him later would effect anything, he may still fall apart in August, but it would be an intriguing risk. One thing is for sure, there is no way I would give him big money expecting 32 starts after what we have seen. He may still be worth big money, but you would need to adjust how you use him.

12. Major

Major Member

In theory, this is a great idea - you could easily just start VV or whomever you want to experiment with for 10 starts at the beginning of the season. But in reality, how do you pull this off? How do you tell Kazmir that you think he's going to suck after 20 starts, so you're benching him for a few months?

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would just keep him shut down through Spring Training, and then start his Spring Training routine in April/May. Maybe it require him to spend some time on assignment or in extended ST. It would be a bit of an ego check, but if you were still paying him 15 million or so with this knowledge up front I imagine he would be OK with it. I would be OK with it, but I'm not Kazmir, he might not.

And our rotation already has Keuchel/LM/McHugh/Feldman/Fiers, VV would be the 6th. If we were to do something like this. I imagine moving Feldman's salary would be a possibility. I would be OK with VV starting in the rotation if we moved Feldman.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yeah, I mean Roger was ok with a weird setup like this. And his ego is well understood. So it could be a matter of positioning it and providing him with a "fluffer".. lol

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it would be easier just to reduce his innings or have him skip every third start with VV, Appel, Feliz, or other subbing in for either scheduled relief or starts.

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

What's your source, Nick? I'm just curious as to where I can find some well-sourced rumors, other than on this site? I'm starved for Astros news (and hot-stove news, in general).

Thanks in advance...

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

MLB.com reported it this morning. Local AZ reporters last night it looks like..

19. eric.81

Thanks. Is there a good hot-stove site that is compiling offseason rumors? ESPN.com is basically the same site as NFL.com between September and January so there's no luck there...

20. eric.81

Sorry for the double post. Thank you Joe Joe.