1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] "I feel good," McGrady said. "It's good to be pain-free."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3768982.html

Rockets Summary

McGrady pain-free

Rockets forward Tracy McGrady, calling himself "pain-free" but out for the remainder of the season, joined the Rockets for their six-game road trip seemingly more upbeat about his rehabilitation than since a strained back suffered March 8 ended his season.

McGrady said he plans to begin workouts in June, his usual offseason routine with additional back-strengthening exercises but no medical treatments beyond the anti-inflammatory injections he has received.

"I'm excited about everything," McGrady said. " Yao ( Ming), he's turned himself into a different player. I think he's figured it out. He's not bailing the defense out, even in double teams he's doing a great job."

McGrady said he will work through the offseason to strengthen his back to avoid the problems he had this season, though he said the back exercises he has been given are similar to those he has been doing.

"I feel good," McGrady said. "It's good to be pain-free. I am looking forward to getting going, but I'm going to start in June like always."

Yao player of week

Rockets center Yao Ming was named Western Conference Player of the Week, averaging 33.3 points on .625 shooting, while grabbing 12.3 rebounds as the Rockets went 2-1.

He had a season-high 38 points against the Wizards on Friday and a career-high 16 field goals against the Lakers on Sunday.

Yao had 29 points, on 9-of-14 shooting, in the Rockets' 115-87 win over the SuperSonics on Wednesday before sitting out the fourth quarter.

"Yao was great (Sunday)," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "He was posting up and hitting those shots. He's in great shape now, probably the best shape I've seen him in since he's been playing in the NBA."

LeBron James, who averaged 42.7 points on .625 shooting, 9.7 rebounds and 7.3 assists, was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week.

JONATHAN FEIGEN

2. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

It's good news. But I wonder whether he should overhaul his usual routine instead of just adding some back-strengthening exercises. I am not an expert. I am just a bit concerned.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm with you barryxzz, that yoga stretching deal sounded good. I think he should see like 12 doctors and let them each give an analysis. Then, pick and choose based on what Tracy's gut tells him is right.

4. jlwee

jlwee Member

Yoga and pilates will definitely help T-mac's back....

5. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I think an old-day T Mac is good enough to bring us the trophy with today's Yao. I wonder if it was last summer's work-out tore his back. I remember once I saw a clip from rockets.com showing how T Mac work out last summer. He had worked so hard then.

If these so-called "strenghten his back" exercises were some kind of muscle-building exercises, the organization must take every precaution to aviod hurting his back again. From the sentence, I feel that even the writer doubted that as well.

I don't know what TMac did in the summer of year 2004, but what TMac displayed in last season were good enough and all I want is a healthy TMac, not a stronger T Mac.

6. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

I can't wait for the next season to start. Tracy McGrady, hopefully, is healthy - and will dominate with Yao! Also some good role players with them.

7. adamlam

adamlam Member

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

unfortunately I have turned kind of fickle regarding comments like this from Tmac... We have heard it before.. then something would happen in a game to reaggravate his back.... then back to the doctor he goes. Let's pray that he can "stay" pain free.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

With T-Mac coming back, there goes our hopes of getting Joakim Noah. :rolleyes:

10. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I am not that high on Noah. He will be a tweener in the league. He will absolutely get murdered in the paint by the league PFs, and yet he does not have the range to play SF.

I do like his court vision, ball handling and passing skills though.

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Dude, I did not need to see that yoga pic. :mad:

12. CG202

CG202 Contributing Member

Holy crap.... is that for real? :eek:

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

a 6'10" tweener?

I take it you base that on his lack of bulk?

I admit to not having seen this kid more than 2 or 3 times...but if you take the word of the guys calling the game yesterday...they said he measures in at 6'10" but plays taller than that...adn from what I saw against UCLA...I believe them.

got any particular reason you believe that? I like what I saw, but am not set in if I think his game will translate.

14. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

great news ... he is alright & ready 2 be a champ next year....NOW PLEASE DONT TRADE HIM FOR ANYBODY...EVEN KOBE!!!!!

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He's a sophomore. His body will fill out like Nowitzki's body filled out. He will be a rangy PF in the NBA. I think he will turn out pretty good.

16. fa7999

fa7999 Member

He does have a good stroke at the FT line. Does not have a 15-18 foot jumper as of yet. Strangely he reminds of Drew Gooden. Another 6'10" goodlooking college player who is a tweener in the league.

17. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Great news. Let's just hope he can stay healthy for the long term.

Yao player of week

Congrats to Yao!

:eek: :eek: WOW!!! :eek: :eek:

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I didn't mean a rangy shooter. I meant a rangy defensive player. He has the defensive potential to guard guys like Dirk out on the floor and when he fills out, he will have the size to defend the post. I think most of his offensive game will be in the post. He's got a lot of development to go on his offense. He sure would make a lot of money if he developed the 18 footer.

By the way, Gooden is a solid defensive player and a very good rebounder and he has a decent post up game. I've heard he's been moved so many times because he's a headcase. Don't know if that's the case. But I don't see Noah being that. Noah has great attitude.

#18 jopatmc, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  19. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I followed Gooden's career at Kansas (closely since I am a Jayhwak) and in the league. He was a great rebounder in college, had excellent post up moves, but in the league, he just became average in defense and post plays. I would take him over Howard and Swift as our starting 4 but it's not a significant upgrade IMHO. He still lacks the power and strength to bang with PFs in the west conference, and I don't see Noah doing the same for 4-5 years to say the least. Hope that he proves me wrong.

20. Everglory

Everglory Member

We want TMAC to be healthy!
    You and Yao are able to create the big thing for Houston Rockets!