1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out of the 4 QBs in this years draft: Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, and Bortles ....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Dec 14, 2014.

1. what

what Member

3 teams believe that they've found their franchise qb, and two: Carr and Bortles were passed up in favor of other players.

This years qb crop looks pretty solid. And I'm not sure that the texans are going to be able to get a talented qb from the draft in years to come because they aren't going to suck enough to get a guy, which means that there is a very real shot that the texans missed there chance to get a franchise qb.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't think Bortles or Bridgewaterwill ever be franchise quarterbacks. Carr looks the best so far, he might be ok. Haven't seen enough of Manziel

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Odds are none of them are true franchise QB's. Even if they have a few good years here and there, they'll likely be no better than the careers of Mark Sanchez, Matt Schaub, Sam Bradford, etc.

The NFL has shown there is basically only ~ 5 true franchise QB's at any given time/era. The rest are all guys that can be found.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm fine with raking none of them. Hindsight says Bridgewater or Carr, I would have been okay with.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of those QB's should make anyone lose any sleep. There weren't any real franchise QB's in this draft

6. what

what Member

We'll we probably have a different view of franchise qb. I think Ben is a franchise qb, do you? I also think that Joe Flacco is a franchise qb.

The texans haven't had a guy that was anywhere near flacco or Big Ben. But if you are happy with your qbs, I'm glad for ya, but I doubt anybody outside of texans fans believes that the texans made the right moves in the draft last year.

I mean:
    Matt Ryan
    Peyton
    Brady
    Stafford
    Cam
    Rodgers
    Romo
    Ben
    Joe
    Rivers
    Luck
    Wilson
    Alex Smith

all quality qbs, whereas the texans are so far below these guys at this point. If yall had any one of these guys ya'll would have won 10 games. As it stands yall are hoping to trade for RGIII? Why not go for micheal vick while you are at it.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bortles at 1 would have been a reach.

Bridgewater was gone by our 2nd pick.

No way Carr succeeds here.

Manziel sucks.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Big Ben, yes... Flacco, no. My definition is a QB that you could put on any team and instantly make them contenders, regardless of whether they are complete teams or not.

Half the guys on your list are on teams with basically an equal or worse record than the Texans. You also conveniently leave off previous "flavor of the year" QB's like Eli Manning, Andy Dalton, Drew Brees and Colin Kapernick.

My current five: Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Rothlesberger and.... Brees (even though he violates my previously mentioned rule).

9. conquistador#11

with the exception of the colts, all of those teams spent more than 5 seasons trying to find the current qb you listed. we had who we thought was 'that' guy, but he aged in dog years over night.

for example do you remember joey harrington, x and x and x on the lions?
    harbaugh for the colts? 1995,1996,1997 and 1998 and all through the 80s. jeff george ring a bell?

big ben you say?a decade of o'donnell and stewart,which would be the equivalent of fitzie

romo, i guess it's easy to forget the quincy years and even with romo 8-8 was their m/0. they even traded for they thought would be their franchise guy, henson from the Texans. jerry jones and my mind both blown at that one.

lol at cam newton. but even the panthers had to go through a decade of delhomme to get all world cam in their hands. i say jake at his peak was better than what cam will ever be as a qb.

basically it's not an exact science on getting that 'franchise' qb and not easy. there is a lot of suffering that's involved. let's give this current regime more than one season to find THEIR guy for THEIR system.

10. what

what Member

Obviously it takes more than a qb to win in the league, but if you don't have a qb then you don't have a chance period.

I never though Kapernick or Dalton were that good. Eli used to be good but he's fell off.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... but there is a clear difference between what a true franchise QB is and what everybody else is.

As you just said, you never thought Kapernick/Dalton were good, and Eli is just ok, yet those guys play on three of the winningest teams over the last decade.

My argument is that if you get a QB equivalent to most starting QB's in the NFL (where i'd put guys like Dalton, Kapernick, Cam, Flacco... basically everybody but my top 5), you have a chance to win. And getting THAT QB isn't impossible (although I'd love it if they can get one that has the potential to be one of those top 5 guys... but those guys are once in a generation type guys for a reason).

And, of course, this reaffirms my original point that there's a high likelihood that NONE of these guys end up being the franchise QB's for their respective teams.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hindsight is 20/20. Had Clowney never been injured, that statement is absolutely false.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I really dont think any of the rookie QBs have been that impressive...

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I'm surprised your 5th wasn't Luck.

I'd take Luck and Wilson before Brees. Brees is great within the saint's system and in a dome, but other than that he looks below average.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yep. They should just shut it down. Maybe the NFL would refund McNair his franchise fee? There are no more drafts and no more chances to ever find a quarterback. Doomed forever.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

My 5th is Luck now. Brees falls off the list this year.

But it's still only around 5 guys ever truly elite. We will see what Wilson does this post-season as he has a chance to not only join the group but to be well ahead of Luck.

17. vince

vince Member

unfortunately, there was not a Franchise quarterback in this draft. some potential pro bowlers, but nothing close to a sure thing.

if not for the injury Clowney would be making a name for himself.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I would say the exact opposite. This QB crop looks average at best. NO idea what 3 teams you are talking about. U must think Carr or Manziel is franchise material (they clearly aren't). Of the 4 QBs you named, none are in the top 25 in passer rating. Fitz is 11th.

#18 tallanvor, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Carr is the QB I thought would be the best. Y'all yelled at me. Hated Bortles. Haven't seen him play much this year but hated, hated, hated him coming out.

The IQ of Texans fans is so low that the franchise couldn't even draft Carr, they knew it'd be 24/7 radio callers b****ing and moaning about his last name. A bunch of drunk, sloppy dads showing up at Carr's house throwing bricks through his window.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The second an organization starts making personnel decisions for PR reasons is the second that organization truly has no idea what they're doing.

Odds were always that Carr would be better than his brother. Most brothers who both have the ability to go pro are like that (one good, one so-so... rarely both terrible).

That being said, nobody will ever consider Carr (or any of the other guys from last year) as once-in-a-generation like talents that will be impossible to get/replace any given year. Last year was NOT the only (or best) chance this organization, and BOB, will have of finding their QB.

You also have to consider that BOB knows as soon as he finds his "guy", the countdown clock not only starts on that QB... but it starts on BOB's tenure as well.