1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Developing rookies through the D League

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by matty101, Dec 2, 2014.

1. matty101

matty101 Member

I'm trying to settle an argument with my mate.

I think top draft picks (wiggins, Parker etc.) would be best served from a development perspective by spending short stints (10 days or so) in the d league during the season. I don't think the rules currently allow it, but I think it would be a good development mechanism for young players to go up and down to the d league a number of times a season.

People are criticizing the one and done culture, saying that the rookies don't have a chance to develop the necessary NBA skills by coming straight to the NBA. I think that rather than spending time in a completely unrelated system with different rules (college) it would be better for them to spend tmime in a closer simulation to the NBA both from a lifestyle and tactics perspective (d league). This way the rookies have opportunities to experiment with running the offense in a less public forum where there is less pressure.

Think of it like NBA Lite.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is still an NBA Dleague stigma around the league.

Future Allstars usually use bad teams to get development.

I do not mind sending them to the Dleague for a few weeks.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I've always felt players were best developed over the summer. Also, have you ever watched a d league game? There is very little development save for a few emphasized skillsets against subpar opposition.

The spurs are taking an interesting approach with their rookie. He sees the floor pretty consistently and isn't asked to do something rookie wouldn't be able to do. Beyond that, he only goes to down to the dleague when they have a stretch of games and the spurs are off. The end result will be seen later, but in the meanwhile the kid is averaging a triple double in the dleague.

4. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Nah, for players on bad teams where they are expected to be future franchise players (Wiggins, Parker) they are best being around the NBA culture and learning on the job in the Pros.

Plus, some still see D-League as a sort of punishment for not being very good, and it could also hurt some confidence.

But the D-League talent pool is not good at all and it's like a glorified pickup game. People like Terrance Williams can go down there and average a triple double.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^I wonder why summer league is a bit better in terms of competition and level of play. Perhaps its all the NBA FO eyes at the games?